LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Heated steering wheel question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 04:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heated steering wheel question.

How will this work with the wood trim steering wheel? Just curious.
Old 04-22-06, 05:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Got this from the Mercedes site :

At least for the Mercedes S class:
The steering wheel heater can rapidly heat the leather portions of the steering wheel for the enhanced comfort of the driver in cold weather. Wires embedded in leather portions of the steering wheel rim heat the wheel. After about seven minutes, the syst***s heating capacity is automatically reduced.
Both wood steering wheel & heated steering wheel are options on the S class.
Old 04-22-06, 05:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Interestingly, when I try to build a S550 on their site, I can only get only either the the wood steering wheel, or the heated steering wheel, but not both.
Then I tried to build a S600, which come swith wood steering wheel as standard, heated steering wheel is not an option. When I look at the interior features of the S600, only the wood trim steering wheel is mentioned, but not heated steering wheel. So it seems they don't do heated steering wheel with the wood trim on it. . .
Old 04-22-06, 06:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Wow thx for the info and research LexArazzo, I suppose the wood steering wheel portion doesn't get all that cold anyways...?

I wonder what Lexus' solution to this will be, as most of the wood trim steering wheel area is where one's hands are placed (at least on the LS/ES I believe the grooves are there on the wood).

Reminds me of the perforated leather. Where the perforations are employed for heated/cooled seats. Are perforations available as standalone on other cars, such as Mercedes?
Old 04-22-06, 06:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Talking It's different in Canada though . . .

Well, I tried to build the S550 in the Canadian site, & I can get both heated & wood steering wheel, plus the S600 also comes with both as standard
So according to the description quoted from mbusa in my first reply, the wires only heat up the leather part of the steering wheel, so that means the wood part still isn't heated ? Or are the wires also embedded inside the wood portion, which I think would probably be the case. I think the wood trim is probably a wood veneer that wraps around portions of the steering wheel, it's not solid wood.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-22-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-23-06, 12:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
Wow thx for the info and research LexArazzo, I suppose the wood steering wheel portion doesn't get all that cold anyways...?

I wonder what Lexus' solution to this will be, as most of the wood trim steering wheel area is where one's hands are placed (at least on the LS/ES I believe the grooves are there on the wood).

Reminds me of the perforated leather. Where the perforations are employed for heated/cooled seats. Are perforations available as standalone on other cars, such as Mercedes?
some to think about it, during summer time, my wood steering wheel on the sc430 doesn't really get that hot during summer?!
Old 04-23-06, 02:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

LOL, none of us in SoCal likely need any heated steering wheels. I just thought it was pretty cool, as I don't remember the LS 430 having them.

Now on to another cool detail obsession...will the LS 460 have lighted cupholders like the ES 350?
Old 04-23-06, 10:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by enigma354
LOL, none of us in SoCal likely need any heated steering wheels. I just thought it was pretty cool, as I don't remember the LS 430 having them.

Now on to another cool detail obsession...will the LS 460 have lighted cupholders like the ES 350?
nop, currently none of the lexus has heated steering wheel. it has been one of the compliants (when comparing to competitors).

i don't know, i sometimes work pretty late, and no matter the sc430 or gs400, it's pretty damn cold when i get into teh car especially during winter time. i could definitely use some heated steering wheel
Old 04-23-06, 10:42 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
nop, currently none of the lexus has heated steering wheel. it has been one of the compliants (when comparing to competitors).

i don't know, i sometimes work pretty late, and no matter the sc430 or gs400, it's pretty damn cold when i get into teh car especially during winter time. i could definitely use some heated steering wheel
You must be talking about NorCal, when I visited my cousin in San Fran, she always said you can go thru all 4 seasons in one day,. It can be warm during the day, but gets pretty cold when night comes. I don't think it gets really cold in LA even during winter? although the few times I was there, it's always either spring or summer. I don't remember, but the new LS will come with heated steering wheel as standard ?
Old 04-24-06, 12:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
You must be talking about NorCal, when I visited my cousin in San Fran, she always said you can go thru all 4 seasons in one day,. It can be warm during the day, but gets pretty cold when night comes. I don't think it gets really cold in LA even during winter? although the few times I was there, it's always either spring or summer. I don't remember, but the new LS will come with heated steering wheel as standard ?
it can be COOL in LA but isn't nothing like up here in norcal. indeed you get some crazy weather. during winter time, you go out for lunch and you might hit 70s. but by the time you leave work at 9pm, it can be as low as 35 degrees (happened this yr several times already). it's insane

when i got inside my gs400, you have no idea how bad i swore about the cold weather and that i have NO heated seat (do i miss my sc430?) and the steering wheel is pretty damn cold to touch as well
Old 04-26-06, 11:40 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol

Here in the Philippines, it is always hot. Sure we may have rainy seasons for three months and cool winds coming from snowy countries waaay waaay up North but other than that, it is so damn hot.

With our country being so close to the equator, heated steering wheels and heated seats are USELESS.

So for us, it should be the opposite: Cooled Steering Wheel and Cooled Seats
Old 04-26-06, 11:54 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Well in the LS there then I guess the cooled seats would do the trick then, hopefully!!!

In the LS we have used the heated seats only, but it's not summer yet. Come that time, I think I will try the cooling function.

One thing I noticed is how Lexus has switched from the round, peg-like dials in the current LS and ES, to more rounded wheel dials in the new IS/ES/GS/LS. Actually, supposedly those dials resemble those on the current SC (I saw in a brochure pic), but I'm not sure. They remind me of the old Mercedes dials, and both Lexus versions are probably easy and nice to use.
Old 04-27-06, 09:14 PM
h2o_247
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel

hi,

I think the LS600hL will have the heated steering wheel as standard. Maybe leather wrapped portions will be heated.

(Please refer to the pic.)
Picture courtesy of www.autospies.com
Attached Thumbnails Heated steering wheel question.-hster.jpg  
Old 04-27-06, 10:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Sharp eyes, thx for the pic!
Old 04-29-06, 03:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Fuel door, and trunk release are a bit too low in my openion?

Quick Reply: Heated steering wheel question.