LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First Year Model Introduction Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 08:25 PM
carman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Year Model Introduction Concerns

Convential wisdom says not to buy a car in it's first year of intro. What kind of chances do you think we would be taking with a new engine and new transmission. Is it worth the gamble?
Old 05-07-06, 08:50 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Good point. I bought a BMW 745i the first year it came out, and I regretted it. My dealer finally took it back from me. I wonder what Lexus' record is in this area.
Old 05-07-06, 09:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus actually leads the auto industry with the most reliable cars, which means they get the least amount of first year complaints. Toyota is (without suprise) second most reliable.

If something does happen with a first year LS, I doubt that it will be anything with the engine, and unlikely the tranny. I see most of its problems coming from all its technological gadgets and gizmos. Toyota/Lexus is not immune to these types of problems (note the new Avalon). However, it will still be the "least likely" to have trouble compared to other companies in the market.
Old 05-07-06, 09:47 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
Good point. I bought a BMW 745i the first year it came out, and I regretted it. My dealer finally took it back from me. I wonder what Lexus' record is in this area.
ouch. first year 7 series....I send you my condolences.
Old 05-07-06, 10:11 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

i don't think bmw's suffer as many problems as Mercedes...dang...from the stories I heard of the current E class...those cars are always at the dealer getting repaired for some thing or another...plus other cars from Mercedes suffer problems too....kinda sad that your paying 50-150k for a car and it has problems....
Old 05-07-06, 10:52 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

You have to trust somebody and I would trust Toyota because of their proven record.

Plus .. half the fun (and ego satisfaction) of a new car is getting it while it's brand new .. with the latest technology .. and is interesting to others!

For these egotistical and self-satisfying reasons I always JUMP at the chance to buy new products!

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 05-08-06 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-07-06, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lexus actually leads the auto industry with the most reliable cars, which means they get the least amount of first year complaints. Toyota is (without suprise) second most reliable.

If something does happen with a first year LS, I doubt that it will be anything with the engine, and unlikely the tranny. I see most of its problems coming from all its technological gadgets and gizmos. Toyota/Lexus is not immune to these types of problems (note the new Avalon). However, it will still be the "least likely" to have trouble compared to other companies in the market.
actually, that's not correct. in 2004 lexus came out with the first 6 speed auto tranny on the ls430, and they had some problems on the shifting and had to issue a recall. it wasn't something major where the tranny will blow, but enough to have a lot of people complaining and lexus issued a recall.

moreover, a lot of people know i won't go for first yr model. 98 gs, it was ok but some little problems. same with the 01 gs (facelift), tiny problems here and there, especially the mark levinson. i have talked about the 04 ls430, besides the tranny there was also problems on the nav unit that triggered another recall on the software

again, it's not big problems, i havent' seen anything major, but at least to me i see that first yr is for sure not as stable as the next, etc... so to me for sure i won't take first yr car, even it's a lexus
Old 05-08-06, 05:48 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on your luck...

I got 2001 IS300 and didn't have a single problem.

I got 2004 LS430 and got 2 recalls and tons of problems. I also owned 1996 ES300, 1997 SC300, 2001 RX300 and this LS is the most problematic lexus so far
Old 05-08-06, 06:02 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

I guess it could be logical that the more companies push the cutting edge of "technological evolution," the more chance for problems.

None-the-less .. my trust in Lexus, combined with my desire to have the latest, still dictates that I'll buy the "newest stuff" every time!

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 05-08-06, 01:15 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
again, it's not big problems, i havent' seen anything major, but at least to me i see that first yr is for sure not as stable as the next, etc... so to me for sure i won't take first yr car, even it's a lexus
Good plan. My '99 GS was an eary build of the second model year. Rattles galore. The early years of the second gen GS were not Lexus like. I remember CR did not have the GS on its recommended list during that time. Good news is that of course the problems were rectified in the later years.

My '06 GS has been free of major problems, but I still have some minor annoyances (namely rattles). As others have said, no car in its first model year can be perfect...not even a Lexus.
Old 05-08-06, 10:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Good plan. My '99 GS was an eary build of the second model year. Rattles galore. The early years of the second gen GS were not Lexus like. I remember CR did not have the GS on its recommended list during that time. Good news is that of course the problems were rectified in the later years.

My '06 GS has been free of major problems, but I still have some minor annoyances (namely rattles). As others have said, no car in its first model year can be perfect...not even a Lexus.
haha prime example there, jay so you ready for 06 ls460?

after my 98 gs400, and the numerous later yrs gs i have driven, i do believe my car could have been better
Old 05-08-06, 10:21 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha prime example there, jay so you ready for 06 ls460?

after my 98 gs400, and the numerous later yrs gs i have driven, i do believe my car could have been better
You bet Henry. We'll set up our group buy for the LS460 for the second year

But lets try and figure out a way to retrofit the LS600H LED headlights onto the LS460 first.
Old 05-08-06, 10:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
You bet Henry. We'll set up our group buy for the LS460 for the second year

But lets try and figure out a way to retrofit the LS600H LED headlights onto the LS460 first.
HAHHAA, sorry, i have to wait for the 2nd yr of ls600hl, so that means 2008?

and no, they should make the ls600hl headlights exclusive to 600hl, you need vin numbers and damage report to buy new ones, haha
Old 05-08-06, 11:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

HAHHAA, sorry, i have to wait for the 2nd yr of ls600hl, so that means 2008?

and no, they should make the ls600hl headlights exclusive to 600hl, you need vin numbers and damage report to buy new ones, haha
I think the LS600hL will already be a 2008 model when it launches spring of 2007 next year So second year should be 2009 MY ?

So you're certain you're going for the 600hL eh ?
Old 05-09-06, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I think the LS600hL will already be a 2008 model when it launches spring of 2007 next year So second year should be 2009 MY ?

So you're certain you're going for the 600hL eh ?
oh i can always "WANT" and "WISH", but reality is with what's going on, not sure if i can even get the ls460

Quick Reply: First Year Model Introduction Concerns