LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Test drove the LS460 (pics on pg 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 09:48 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Test drove the LS460 (pics on pg 2)

I attended a special event today at Lexus of Glendale where we got to sit in an LS460L and test drove an LS460 on the roof of the dealership. I have to say the automatic parallel parking feature was very impressive. It actually does as it says... it will park the car for you (with a little help from your foot). Couldn't really test acceleration since there was only about 200 feet of space on the roof to drive it.... although I did gun it and it felt less responsive than my 06 GS430.

Inside fit and finish are very nice. I would call the car evolutionary rather than revolutionary. The gages have a neat 3D look as the faces of dials pop out about a 1/4 inch creating an interesting effect than you can't see from this pictures online .

Got to play with the DVD player and massager in the back seat of the L version. Quite nice and very roomy. The car also looks very nice from the outside. The two they had were the non-metallic black with the light interior.

Now I just have to wait another 10 months to get my LS600hL I have on order.
Old 06-21-06, 10:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So envious!!!! I suppose that was the best way to keep the car secret, by having it on the roof--and black too. And to think I was just in the Glendale area a few days ago! Wonder how they got the cars on the roof--is there a parking lot there? I remember the new car garage is right behind, connected to the dealership.

Anyhow, to the car--sounds fantastic that Lexus of Glendale was able to arrange that preview for you. May I ask how many guests were there? I assume all of them are on the LS waiting list...

Is the car still there btw?

Good to hear about the car. I agree that it is evolutionary for the most part, and that's been an LS tradition. But I hope its level of technology and added refinement we be a sort of mini-revokution for the luxe market.

And the 3D gauges sounds great (holographic?) I wonder if the 'Hybrid System Ready' logo would have that effect as well.
Old 06-21-06, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

omg, this is so nice.... congrats man, seems like the car is a complete bomber!!!
Old 06-21-06, 10:44 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I really wnat to see this parallel park feature in action. It sounds almost spooky.!
Old 06-21-06, 11:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Definitely don't see some 3d effect on these 2d pictures...so far they already look nicer, more futuristic yet friendly, than any other luxury sedan's flagship gauges...
Attached Thumbnails Test drove the LS460 (pics on pg 2)-ls-gauges.jpg  
Old 06-21-06, 11:17 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

From what they said, I think the cars will be there for a few more days. The whole event was videotaped for some sort or commercial purpose but they were very tight lipped and wouldn't tell us exactly what the footage was going to be used for (we had to sign a disclosure statement). They had actors posing as Lexus employees running the event. There were several actual corporate executives there asking questions of us. I spoke with the VP of marketing and gave her a few suggestions about how to create a better pre-order system for their new cars. We also got really cool leather carry-on bags as a parting gift.

According to Johnny Harrison, the General Manager of Lexus of Glendale, they invited 25 select customers (and one guest each) to attend this event. I guess they like me since I have purchased several cars from them over the years. I'm sure you can call Johnny if you are going to be in the area and see if you can preview the car (I hope he doesn't hate me for suggesting this).
Old 06-21-06, 11:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Thx but it sounds too formal for me or my family, we like our LS 430 enough...I will hold out for hopefully another nice, catered, open event like they had with the GS 430 2 years ago.

I'm guessing you talked to Deborah Meyer, VP of Lexus Marketing and editor of Lexus Magazine IIRC? Prepare to see yourself on TV!

I am wondering what commercials they'll come up with for this car.

Last edited by encore888; 06-21-06 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 12:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888

And the 3D gauges sounds great (holographic?)
The 1st Generation LS gave the same effect with it's electroluminescent guages. Very dark/black background and the guages glowed as if they are floating.

They were also doing the filming at Longo this morning as well.
Old 06-22-06, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DrComputer
From what they said, I think the cars will be there for a few more days. The whole event was videotaped for some sort or commercial purpose but they were very tight lipped and wouldn't tell us exactly what the footage was going to be used for (we had to sign a disclosure statement). They had actors posing as Lexus employees running the event. There were several actual corporate executives there asking questions of us. I spoke with the VP of marketing and gave her a few suggestions about how to create a better pre-order system for their new cars. We also got really cool leather carry-on bags as a parting gift.

According to Johnny Harrison, the General Manager of Lexus of Glendale, they invited 25 select customers (and one guest each) to attend this event. I guess they like me since I have purchased several cars from them over the years. I'm sure you can call Johnny if you are going to be in the area and see if you can preview the car (I hope he doesn't hate me for suggesting this).
that's very sweet! glad to see that you were one of the 25 customers to see the car in person and able to sit in it. i think glendale is really stepping up recently (since the gs debut imho) to really take off. their classy dealership is definitely seveal leauges above other lexus dealerships i have been to. props to them!

can't wait to see what they are doing with this
Old 06-22-06, 01:07 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Very lucky, VERY! (you don't happen to any pictures, do you?)
Maaan I want to see this car, in detail.
Old 06-22-06, 08:39 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSsnarl
Very lucky, VERY! (you don't happen to any pictures, do you?)
Maaan I want to see this car, in detail.
I wish we could have... but no cameras were allowed.
Old 06-22-06, 08:41 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
The 1st Generation LS gave the same effect with it's electroluminescent guages. Very dark/black background and the guages glowed as if they are floating..
It wasn't an effect. The face of the dials is actually raised by about 1/4 inch. You have to see it in person to see the effect. In the pictures everything looks flat.
Old 06-22-06, 10:17 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lucky guy! Thanks for the information.
Old 06-22-06, 11:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder how that car itself stood up. At the "CL First Look" in March, most of the parts were not made for driving more than 5 minutes. The LS was made of temporary plastic materials that would melt within minutes of an idling engine, much less if it was being driven even for short periods of time.

I guess since there is only four more months before it debuts (yeah, it's that close!), it should be production ready...
Old 06-22-06, 05:38 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Both cars looked like production vehicles complete with normal engine covers and all of the regulation stickers attached under the hood and in the door jams.

Quick Reply: Test drove the LS460 (pics on pg 2)