LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bimmer & Lexus......back and forth I go

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 09:03 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
My thoughts EXACTLY.

6 months ago I traded in my WONDERFULL 2003 LS430 for a BMW 330Xi.

It's just too small and noisy, and (except for the driving, which is excellent, but not "better enough" then the LS430) the 330Xi just doesn't do anything as well as the Lexus. The I-DRIVE is awful, the NAV system is very counter intuitive, plus dozens of other things, some minor, some not so minor.

As soon as the lease is up (fortunately, only 2 year), I'm going back to either the LS460 or the LS600hL, THIS time with a 5 YEAR LEASE or purchase.

I live on the east coast and I'm going to try to buy it from a dealer on the west coast so I can enjoy a leisurely 3 week drive back accross country. I'm not sure if I can do this..... Any dealers on the west coast interested in helping me?

HBH

im just curious...why did you downsize from an ls 430 to a 330xi. if anything i thought you would have got a 530xi or 750. The size difference between the ls and 3 series is large, im just a little surprised you did that.

I must say though, now that Lexus has brought an L edition back into the game. Its very likely that if the lease cost is the same as the 7 series I may switch back to lexus. From 90-97 I leased countless LS's. My problem was though that they didnt have enough room in the back, and I always suggested that they add the 5 inches. I finally switched to bmw (with one mercedes in the middle) and have been very satisfied with the 7, despite a few problems (except with the current one). Now that lexus is back in the game, I am looking foward to next July. I will probably replace my wifes GX with an SC, to keep lexus in the family.
Old 08-02-06, 09:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bluestar
M35... gotta be the M - ride, handling, power, price, space, performance.... it has it all. I'll take theM amongst all of the choices in a heartbeat...

Good luck tho'
Only M i think of when you say "M" is BMW M3, M5, M6
Old 08-02-06, 09:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

My thoughts EXACTLY.

6 months ago I traded in my WONDERFULL 2003 LS430 for a BMW 330Xi.

It's just too small and noisy, and (except for the driving, which is excellent, but not "better enough" then the LS430) the 330Xi just doesn't do anything as well as the Lexus. The I-DRIVE is awful, the NAV system is very counter intuitive, plus dozens of other things, some minor, some not so minor.

As soon as the lease is up (fortunately, only 2 year), I'm going back to either the LS460 or the LS600hL, THIS time with a 5 YEAR LEASE or purchase.

I live on the east coast and I'm going to try to buy it from a dealer on the west coast so I can enjoy a leisurely 3 week drive back accross country. I'm not sure if I can do this..... Any dealers on the west coast interested in helping me?

HBH
man that was a bit change for you, from the ls430 to the 330. ever since we got our gs400 there is no going back to small cars anymore. trust me, you will love the new LS
Old 08-03-06, 05:35 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jblackbelt
im just curious...why did you downsize from an ls 430 to a 330xi. if anything i thought you would have got a 530xi or 750
Prior to the BMW, I drove a 1999 LS400 and a 2003 LS430, both GREAT cars.

There were two reasons I switched. I REALLY prefer a manual transmission and, living in the northeast, AWD.

As to why the 3 series instead of the 5 series, I drove both, both seemed to be about the same size on the inside (wrong), and the 3 was "Sportier".

I must have known I might not be happy with the car since this is the first 2 year lease I've ever done.

The LS600hL may be the one for me, except that I don't need the extra room in the back.

SOME of the things I really miss about my LS430 (and I admit, some are minor, but are irritations)

MUCH better navigation system on the Lexus. Not more accurate, but much easier to use.
The i-Drive is awful. Why not a button to switch from AM to CD rather than having to navigate.
Auto latching doors.
BMW is harder to get in and out of.
BMW is noisy at highway cruising speed.
Park assist FRONT and rear on Lexus.
Tilting door map compartments on Lexus.
BMW NAV system doesn't stay on map when the car is turned off. Always reverts back to the i-Drive screen.
BMW Auto-sensor wipers don't stay on auto when the car is turned off.
TINY glove box and center console box.
I miss that hidden storage box under the drivers seat.
Miles between fillup is MUCH less.

Things that are BETTER on the BMW:

1. Handling (not much though, considering).
2 The voice recognition system. On my LS430 it was useless, while on the BMW it works fine, which means I don't need to use the dreaded i-Drive as much.
3. On both my prior LS's, the Heating and AC seemed too aggresive and seemed to "Hunt" for the proper temperature more. The BMW is spot on.
4. The laser cruise control on the Lexus cut out in inclement weather. On the BMW, it's radar and hasn't ever cut out. I've heard that Lexus has changed to radar.
5. The BMW cruise control limits the maximum speed when going downhill. My two LS's just kept going faster and faster downhill.
6. Both LS's had a "Slow upshift" problem. No such problem with a manual transmission!

Last edited by Helmar; 08-03-06 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-03-06, 08:43 AM
jblackbelt
Rookie

Prior to the BMW, I drove a 1999 LS400 and a 2003 LS430, both GREAT cars.

There were two reasons I switched. I REALLY prefer a manual transmission and, living in the northeast, AWD.

As to why the 3 series instead of the 5 series, I drove both, both seemed to be about the same size on the inside (wrong), and the 3 was "Sportier".

I must have known I might not be happy with the car since this is the first 2 year lease I've ever done.

The LS600hL may be the one for me, except that I don't need the extra room in the back.

SOME of the things I really miss about my LS430 (and I admit, some are minor, but are irritations)

MUCH better navigation system on the Lexus. Not more accurate, but much easier to use.
The i-Drive is awful. Why not a button to switch from AM to CD rather than having to navigate.
Auto latching doors.
BMW is harder to get in and out of.
BMW is noisy at highway cruising speed.
Park assist FRONT and rear on Lexus.
Tilting door map compartments on Lexus.
BMW NAV system doesn't stay on map when the car is turned off. Always reverts back to the i-Drive screen.
BMW Auto-sensor wipers don't stay on auto when the car is turned off.
TINY glove box and center console box.
I miss that hidden storage box under the drivers seat.
Miles between fillup is MUCH less.

Things that are BETTER on the BMW:

1. Handling (not much though, considering).
2 The voice recognition system. On my LS430 it was useless, while on the BMW it works fine, which means I don't need to use the dreaded i-Drive as much.
3. On both my prior LS's, the Heating and AC seemed too aggresive and seemed to "Hunt" for the proper temperature more. The BMW is spot on.
4. The laser cruise control on the Lexus cut out in inclement weather. On the BMW, it's radar and hasn't ever cut out. I've heard that Lexus has changed to radar.
5. The BMW cruise control limits the maximum speed when going downhill. My two LS's just kept going faster and faster downhill.
6. Both LS's had a "Slow upshift" problem. No such problem with a manual transmission!
i figured the awd...my 7 sucks in the snow....absolutely useless...i always take our gx when it snows. on the other hand I was surprised on a few things you found better, but it maybe the 3 series has differnet software. The park assist on the 7 (and i saw on the 5) is beautiful. I love how they put the image of the car and then have the (red yellow green) ranges. I hope lexus impliments that system. The fact that your idrive keeps reverting back to the screen is intersting. On the 7 it starts on idrive and 5 secs later automatically goes to teh screen I was last on. I do agree though the LS 600hL maybe the way to go with awd. The hybrid wont help me much, but it will be nice to have. Just curious to see the cost of it, and how the lexus lease will be.
Old 08-08-06, 07:52 AM
Pribyl400
Driver School Candidate

Default Lex Vs. BMW

I have a 98 GS 400 but family members have a wide variety of cars. (2003 LS 430, 2005 LS 430, LX470, RX330, 2006 BMW 650 Convertible, 2006 BMW 530XI). I have driven all of these cars quite a bit. "Driving" a BMW is far superior to "driving" a lexus. By driving I mean the handling. Before we purchased the BMW's we test drove the SC430 and the GS 300 AWD and the GS430... None compare with the BMW driving ability. I love the feel of the big body of the LS430 and its floating abilities over bumps and what not... But as you float you dip and lean into every corner... I drive in rush hour traffic everyday over an hour each day to and from work in Chicago. I would buy the BMW over the lexus every time. The driving ability out weighs the downsides of possible bugs. I have had the cars in for repair several times and it is a pain but a 4 year 50K mile warranty with no questions asked is unbeliveable. They even buffed door dings for me free of charge. But a BMW is what it is... The dealer flat out told us before we bought the 530 that the car is designed to drive 1st... then they refined around that to make comfort and convienece... Which I dont think was much of a sacrafice aside from the poorly placed cup holders. I completely disagree with the commentary about the I-Drive. The I-drive is far superior to the touchscreen system in the Lexus. Open your sunroof on a sunny day and try to follow the navigation in a lexus... GOOD LUCK. I-drive you can access anything and everything while you are driving. Enter addresses and everything with out stopping or putting in an overrde code by touching 5 spots on the screen like in the lexus.... Even my technologically challenged in-laws were able to use the I-drive and love it(no finger prints either!!!)... The overall I-drive with sensors is better... MY overall reccomendation to anyone is buy a 530XI if you live anywhere with snow(530i without snow). I have grown up on RWD but the AWD on the 530XI is unbeliveable... I took snow banks and slush like it was nothing... I dont know if I have ever been so impressed with a car in the snow. BUY the BMW... You will not be disappointed. I know I sound like a lexus hater but I cant help but love my 98 GS400... In all reality... the cars are far superior than the rest of the cars on the road....
Old 08-08-06, 08:54 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Default Function follows form.

Originally Posted by Pribyl400
BUY the BMW... You will not be disappointed.
I did buy the BMW, and I'm GREATLY disappointed.

The i-drive isn't difficult to understand, it's just cumbersome and annoying. Changing from AM to CD on my Lexus was a single button. With i-Drive, it's (1) Push the i-drive, pause and wait (while watching) for the next screen, (2) Dial to CD while watching the screen, and finally (3) click to select CD.

i-Drive is the OPPOSITE of form follows function. BMW wanted i-drive, and ignored the fact that it's now more attention divirting. As to any glare problem, I never had any with either LS, but it would seem that since BOTH makes use a screen for the information (i-Drive being useless without the screen), glare would be a common issue.

I've had the BMW 6 months and already have to take it to the shop for a malfunction. Neither of my LS's were in the shop for anything but routine maintenance.

Ripping the BMW around corners is more fun than it was in the LS as is reving to redline, but I rarely do that, and it was almost as much fun in the LS's, even with their extra weight.

Frankly, the BMW owners seem to all scream loudly about the virtues of their chosen vehicle, trying mightily to convince THEMSELVES.

I've had both, and I'm going (RUNNING) back ASAP.

HBH
Old 08-08-06, 01:03 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Default Which one?

After reading the last 2 posts I find myself agreeing with both. I love to "drive" a BMW, but know that I must put up with the car being more accustomed to the shop than Lexus. The idrive did not excite me, but that could just be due to me being able to navigate the screens of the Lexus better after years of use. I do like the touch screen, but the "mouse" idea is not to bad. It's funny though, everytime, and I do mean everytime I get a BMW, at time of sale I say "I'll never buy another one", but yet I have owned 3 - (95 M3, 97 528 & 03 330i). Once I start thinking about it and get into these discussions I remember why............constant problems !! I am going to fight the urge to buy a Bimmer and go with old faithful.........another Lexus, maybe the new 07 ES350 this time. Unless I can sell my house to put a down payment on a LS460 . Or wait 2 yrs and get a used one, no hurry.
Old 08-09-06, 08:23 AM
Pribyl400
Driver School Candidate

"Frankly, the BMW owners seem to all scream loudly about the virtues of their chosen vehicle, trying mightily to convince THEMSELVES."

I personally dont own a BMW(I drive them frequently). I own a 98 GS 400. I would trade for a V-8 BMW in a heartbeat. The thing that keeps me in my GS is the off the line jump that the 530 does not have... I dont rip around the corners all day long... But in everyday driving you can feel the difference.

Again I completely disagree with the I-drive statements but that is just personal preference. The knowledge of where things are in the system allows me to bounce around just as quickly as the touch screen. One thing that Lexus should seriously start to take into account is the fact that you absoluelty cannot see the touch screen when you have the sun roof open and even the on some occasions not having the sunshade closed over the sunroof. Yesterday I had my sunroof open and couldnt see it... This would not be a real issue if EVERYTHING in the car like Audio controls, Navigation, and climate control operate through this screen.

Just my oppnion. Price we pay for driving nice cars with all the amenities.
Old 08-10-06, 05:45 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

As an OLD guy, I've been pretty much a car nut all my life. I've had MBs, Cadillacs and Town Cars. (And of course my new Corvette.)

But, for SOME reason, BMWs have never appealed to me. Regarding the new big ones, I don't like the bulky, hunky look. And the reviews of the I-drive seem to be pretty negative and nothing I think I would like.

So, I won't be buying a BMW anytime soon. I definitely plan to get a new 460 (my first Lexus.) Beautiful appearance (in and out) and OUTSTANDING options! Also, you can get XM with it, which is my choice.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-10-06, 09:37 AM
jblackbelt
Rookie

the idrive really doesnt need to be used...like the benz's command system all u really need can be done through the voice command system... if u need to use the nav to set a destination besides ur house then thats the only time...but u really should do that before u start driving...so then its still easy... other than that besides ur first time in the car to set all ur presets u dont need idrive. but idrive is just like the s class command system but imo easier to use.
Old 08-10-06, 02:58 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Originally Posted by jblackbelt
the idrive really doesnt need to be used.
There are over 200 commands and subcommands that start with idrive. And you say it really doesn't need to be used? You really don't need to use a spare tire, either, except when you need to use it. My wife refused to drive my BMW because of idrive. She tried using it when she was a passenger on a long trip, and because of the NON-intuitive nature of the commands she was turned off of ALL BMW vehicles. It is difficult to use, but it MUST be used to do anything. For example, try to get to AM station 1330. If you don't know idrive you will give up after 10 minutes. idrive really doesn't need to be used, but if you want AM station 1330 you have to use it.
Old 08-10-06, 09:25 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

i just tried it... frequency 1330 (if ur on AM band) or radio menu

second u have 12 presets... the steering wheel controls can be used to get to AM channels non presets or presets (on a 750li or 745li i have had both).
Old 08-11-06, 08:54 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Well, thank goodness BMW bought the 745i back from me...so I don't have it to test again. Not knowing how to start tuning in a specific station not on a preset, it was very difficult to find the way.

Last edited by Ex-Lexic; 08-11-06 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-11-06, 12:51 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

the 745 was a lot more prolbematic than the 750...but you can still tune to a non preset station by holding down the steering wheel control button.

Quick Reply: Bimmer & Lexus......back and forth I go