LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Lexus LS 460 Features "Sound of Perfection"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
Yes i did mean 3 speakers.
I'm guessing then that those speaker locations on the ceiling are rear surround channels then...perhaps...

I've definitely learned to appreciate the quality of music a lot more than the quantity.

I got this small Sharp shelf speaker system about 8 years ago from Japan. This system has only a single 4" speaker in it and the cones are made of bamboo!!! It is still is the most precise pair of speakers i have ever heard. I mean to the extent that when you take the two speakers and face them toward one another, the sound from each speaker cancels the other so perfectly that I could raise the volume to the highest level and the volume would not change. The only thing that would stand out is single stereo channel sound. It still works like a pro to this very day.

I could only imagine what this new Lexus system is going to sound like.

One thing i thnk tho is that calling it 19 speakers is *kinda* cheating. 7 out of them are tweeters and though they are speakers and will add greatly to the quality, i think i should add 3 more tweeters to my '90LS and raise my speaker count to 10 by spending only $50...
lol, at least here they are doing it for a reason

i sat in my friend's (he does competition level audio) 250watt system gs and everything is very crispy and clear. i learned a great deal from him too about audio, very interesting how the general car audio industry has changed over the years. and after comparing systems, same here, i value quality much more than quantity
Old 08-02-06, 12:14 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's also worth mentioning that when dealing with electrical power, there are far too many variables that the industry doesn't have a set standard on to compare a power rating from one manufacturer to the next. Saying this ML system is 450 watts and another is 300 is typically OK because ML uses the same testing and parameters to rate its amplifiers. But I can absolutely promise you that if you went and compared the 450 watt power output to the "500 watt" output of the Monsoon system in a 1998 to 2002 Pontiac TransAm, the Mark Levinson system would steam roll right over it.

We're not even talking about control and sound quality either - I'm talking about sheer power output. The monsoon amp's rating is taking a lot of 'parameters' loosely and for granted. It would distort, overheat and die in no time if you tried to make it 'keep up' with the output of the supposedly 50 watt less amplifier.

Power output is still very important in a high SQ system because by having plenty of power on tap the amp is less stressed when playing at moderate volume levels.

With all other factors being equal, an amp that's only capable of 200 watts RMS being asked to put out 150 watts RMS is going to get much hotter, produce more distortion, and have less control over the coil than a 300 watt rms amp being asked to do the same.
Old 08-04-06, 08:15 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Article on the Sound System

http://www.autospies.com/news/DIAGRA...o-system-7296/

Here is a new article I read.

Try not to read the forum notes below. It sounds like they are a bunch of kids fighting with eachother.
Old 08-10-06, 05:21 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
The bass is just enough for the majority. It's a clarity system, not a boom boom system.
GREAT! Clarity is what I'm looking for. I'm one of the VERY FEW who doesn't listen to much music. Just talk shows like Fox.

I'm somewhat hard of hearing, which means that I really don't want ANY bass. Just more and more treble. Seems like I can never adjust the treble high enough.

And speaking of the Boom Boom guys, don't you HATE it when they pull up beside you at a light? I'd like to shoot them!

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-16-06, 07:49 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
GREAT! Clarity is what I'm looking for. I'm one of the VERY FEW who doesn't listen to much music. Just talk shows like Fox.

I'm somewhat hard of hearing, which means that I really don't want ANY bass. Just more and more treble. Seems like I can never adjust the treble high enough.

And speaking of the Boom Boom guys, don't you HATE it when they pull up beside you at a light? I'd like to shoot them!

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Its happened but I sort of cancel them out with the music in my car
Old 08-16-06, 08:15 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Jimm

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
The thought of somebody paying a couple grand extra for a 19 speaker 7.1 channel 500 watt Mark Levinson sound system so that they can hear TALK RADIO better seems kinda funny to me for some reason.

I mean hey, if it helps you hear more clearly and you've got the cash to blow - then go for it. But to me it's kinda like a rich old man who's hard of site getting a profesional sized movie theater built into the side of his house so that he can see the news reporter more easily when he watches the 9 o'clock news. And for no other purpose.
Old 08-16-06, 12:26 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, with those stock speaker locations already in place, imagine the upgarde possibilities JL microsubs in the doors, +components
Old 08-16-06, 01:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what also makes a great sound system is if the speakers have strong frequencies responses in their respective range, if all three speaker types (subwoofer for lows, drivers for midrange, tweeters for highs) produce their intended frequencies strongly and accurately and all combine to make one strong response throughout the range of human hearing then it becomes very clear and immersive. Wattage isnt a great indication of audio quality.

Where one speaker type is weak the others pick up the frequencies the others cant, they all complement and work together to give you a full range of frequencies. Thats why when you move from a weak system to a good system you start new hearing sounds in something youve never heard before even though you may have watched/listened to that something a 100 times

Home Audio discussion on a prelude forum:
This is a 6" driver and an 8" driver with a tweeter example for a home audio

The blue line is the 8"s
The red line is the 6"
The green line is the tweeter
The black line is the summed response

as you can see the summed response is very strong (view it like a flat torque curve of a car engine) and has very few weak spots if any, this will produce very good sounds in basically any one of those frequencies

human hearing is around 60Hz to 20,000 Hz I believe

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-16-06 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 02:12 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
as you can see the summed response is very strong (view it like a flat torque curve of a car engine) and has very few weak spots if any, this will produce very good sounds in basically any one of those frequencies
That nice flat response typically goes to waste, though, as soon as the user starts playing with the treble, mid, and bass settings for their system.

It's VERY rare to see a response curve as flat as the one you posted, in a car. Cars make flat response very very difficult to achieve as the shape of the environment, the materials used in the environment, and even the PEOPLE sitting in the cabin can drastically affect the response curve that woudl otherwise be measured.

human hearing is around 60Hz to 20,000 Hz I believe
The standard rule of thumb is 20Hz to 20kHz but that's kind of a generalization. Realistically the majority of the population can't hear above 18kHz - many not above 16kHz. However frequency hearing is typically less affected because even times even if you can't necessarily hear it, you can still feel it, which is half the experience with bass. But still, audible range for most people lies somewhere between 15Hz and 25Hz.
Old 08-16-06, 03:17 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Threxx
The thought of somebody paying a couple grand extra for a 19 speaker 7.1 channel 500 watt Mark Levinson sound system so that they can hear TALK RADIO better seems kinda funny to me for some reason.
You misunderstand. I don't WANT to spend 2,000 extra for speakers I don't need. I just was under the impression that the sound system being talked about was the standard system coming in all the new 460s.

If there's a cheaper one that will give me the coveted "old mans treble," that's the one I want. BUT .. I DO want the fancy nav, back up camera, etc, etc. I wonder if I HAVE to buy the fancy radio to get the other package I want.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-16-06, 03:23 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JessePS
"Boom boom guys at a light."
Its happened but I sort of cancel them out with the music in my car
If I'm on my Harley Davidson, I have no trouble canceling them out with my Vance & Hines pipes at about half throttle.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-16-06, 08:53 PM
LexFather

This system is going to b killa