LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mercedes Is Always Behind

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 05:42 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes Is Always Behind

I’m going to buy a new Mercedes or 460. I’ve had 3 new Mercedes in the past; the latest being a 560 .. so you can tell it’s been a while. The 560 had so many problems, I considered it almost junk. Window & door mechanisms, water leaks, engine problems, etc, etc. And, I know that their reliability rating is STILL pretty much in the tank.

HOWEVER .. I admit to being a pretty egotistical guy regarding “image.” The Mercedes still gets an automatic “superior image” reaction on the road. And, while it’s vain to enjoy that, I admit to its importance.

BUT .. I LOVE electronics! And, all the LATEST push-button “dancing lights” technology. MB has ALWAYS been behind in almost EVERYTHING. Slow to get an auto transmission, a/c, electric windows, auto level control, back up warning, etc, etc, etc.

The new 460’s appear to be a DREAM for a “latest-technology” nut like me! The interior is SO beautiful. By comparison, the MB e550 interior looks like a utility vehicle. Yet, it has that star on the nose which is “somewhat compelling.”

But, not compelling enough. I’m going with a 460 or 460L.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-04-06, 06:22 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Default Me to

I was also disappointed with the MB - I have a 4matic 320. I never had trouble until I brought it in for annual service. They could not even do the oil change right. When I got home there was oil all over the driveway.
I had 3 of the ES300's and enjoyed the last 2 but thought I would go with the MB because everyone said Lexus was a Toyota. I too have that image to uphold.
Oh well, I put down a deposit on the LS460 and hope to enjoy it for a few years before I find something else.
Old 08-04-06, 06:35 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my current cars is a 2000 S430 with the sport package. I love the way it looks compared to the LS430. However, a high class stripper looks good as well, but that does not mean you want to marry one. And if you do, you will have potential long term problems.
I guess I married one and the "sex"... i mean drive is great but problems are frequent. Only has 75k miles on the odometer and a few days ago, the transmission did not want to shift into 3rd gear and could not exceed more than 40mph cause of the RPM redlining. Brought it into a dealer had some work "plastic surgery" and $600 dollars later she is good to go at least until her next breakdown. A very common occurance, almost expected something goes wrong every 6 months. Is it worth it....not sure, but the looks you get by having a trophy wife/car might be worth it... I guess. She is showing her age so I might have to divorce her in the future, not getting as much looks as she use to.......just hope she doesn't take me to the bank before than..... .
Old 08-04-06, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well actually i think mb is ahead on some aspects when it comes to electronics and technologies. like their new auto drive systems, etc... i actually might say they are the pioneers on putting new stuff on the cars.

however, with that said though, it doesn't mean it's good, considering how many problems mb has with their electronics on different models. they are pretty famous for problems on their cars.

on the other hand, for lexus, i think they have been mastering the reliability, and a lot of new stuff they put on their cars are improved version of some stuff we see on bmw and mb.

which one wuld i want? as much as i love new electronics, i can't stand problems with them. i would rather get a lexus.

just my 2 cents
Old 08-04-06, 09:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well actually i think mb is ahead on some aspects when it comes to electronics and technologies. like their new auto drive systems, etc... i actually might say they are the pioneers on putting new stuff on the cars.

however, with that said though, it doesn't mean it's good, considering how many problems mb has with their electronics on different models. they are pretty famous for problems on their cars.

on the other hand, for lexus, i think they have been mastering the reliability, and a lot of new stuff they put on their cars are improved version of some stuff we see on bmw and mb.

which one wuld i want? as much as i love new electronics, i can't stand problems with them. i would rather get a lexus.

just my 2 cents
excuse me - auto drive systems what? Up to 5-6 years ago they were leaders for sure (first ABS, ESP, etc), but then both Lexus and BMW started pushing the envelope. For example, Lexus is using advanced cruise control systems more than MB (which is what you are reffering to), LS460 will self park as well, VDIM, etc.

MB and BMW is more advanced in some things - such as MB using display instead of normal combination meter, BMW's iDrive thing, but in reality, they are complicating things that dont need to be that complicated...
Old 08-04-06, 09:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
excuse me - auto drive systems what? Up to 5-6 years ago they were leaders for sure (first ABS, ESP, etc), but then both Lexus and BMW started pushing the envelope. For example, Lexus is using advanced cruise control systems more than MB (which is what you are reffering to), LS460 will self park as well, VDIM, etc.

MB and BMW is more advanced in some things - such as MB using display instead of normal combination meter, BMW's iDrive thing, but in reality, they are complicating things that dont need to be that complicated...
actually about lexus' cruise control system, does it stop the car and move it again if you are on stop and go traffic? i know mb does that

and stuff like heads up display, i still don't see that on lexus yet, which is something i want bad
Old 08-04-06, 08:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus' dynamic laser cruise control does slow, stop the car and increase speed depending on your set interval between vehicles.
Old 08-05-06, 02:56 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
.. and stuff like heads up display, i still don't see that on lexus yet, which is something i want bad
My new vette has Head up Display. It's not exactly a thriller option. It came with the car.

And, by the way, when I was looking at an e550 on Monday, the salesman was showing me a car with TWO of the option packages. I said I like a LOT of "stuff." Tell me about what all else I can get with option package THREE. (Counting on the ULTRA package, etc.)

He said, "there are no more options available." Rather pathetic for a "luxury" car I thought.

In addition, there happened to be a third party vendor in the back of the shop drilling holes in the bumper of a 100,000 car to install a back up warning system. (How many YEARS has Cadillac, and others, had this?)

What person, able to afford a luxury car, would not find this EXTREMELY valuable?

I am WAY older than most of you. (75). I've never seen MB take the lead in much.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 08-05-06 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 06:25 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are one pimpin old man.. its crazy how this forum has people of all age demographics gathering in one area on a common interest.. good luck on your buy!!
Old 08-06-06, 08:05 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prestige

Prestige is in the eye of the beholder.

When I see someone driving a MB S Class, I wonder why they spent all that money on something that will likely be in the shop at least 5 times a year for routine repairs. If anything, it makes me wonder how the person got to the level that allows them to afford such a high end luxury car making these types of decisions.

Of course, I live in LA, where image seems more important than anything, so it doesn't surprise me that you see so many MB and BMW high end cars out there.

At least Mel Gibson showed he had some good judgment - he got caught driving drunk in an SC430. That may be the only intelligence he has demonstrated in recent times. LOL.
Old 08-06-06, 08:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by exBMWowner
Prestige is in the eye of the beholder.

When I see someone driving a MB S Class, I wonder why they spent all that money on something that will likely be in the shop at least 5 times a year for routine repairs. If anything, it makes me wonder how the person got to the level that allows them to afford such a high end luxury car making these types of decisions.

Of course, I live in LA, where image seems more important than anything, so it doesn't surprise me that you see so many MB and BMW high end cars out there.

At least Mel Gibson showed he had some good judgment - he got caught driving drunk in an SC430. That may be the only intelligence he has demonstrated in recent times. LOL.
I think a lot of it is tons of people especially new owners still have the perception Benzs are top quality cars and they truly have no idea they are not. Word has spread around, no one used to ask me about what I thought of Benz quality before but now, they ask all the time.

And Mel was driving a LS 430
Old 08-06-06, 08:44 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

Question for big Jimm : Do you have a mb SLR?
Haha, Your username reminds me so much of this guy on mbworld.org who had to prove he had one.
Old 08-07-06, 03:43 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

i'm happy with my new 750Li. It's a kick to drive, the i-drive is fantastic ( i learn fast, still), good power.
Vain as it is, i also enjoy the stylishness of it. theres a presence to it that the LS doesnt have. The ipod connector was another major plus over the LS (for me at least).

I thought the S550 interior was rather plush, kind of like a big sofa. it was also sort of simplified. i liked it. also had a bit more power.

I also wish these cars had a HUD. It's actually really useful.

BTW: Jim, do you browse any of the vette forums? I also drive an '06 C6.
Old 08-07-06, 03:40 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
BTW: Jim, do you browse any of the vette forums? I also drive an '06 C6.
Oh Yes!!

Corvette Forum.Com. Almost every day.

By the way, what is the i-drive? I have the paddle shifter on my C-6. Is it similar to that? (And, I admit that I do kinda like the HUD when I'm in Sport mode, especially. I leave it on all the time.)

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 08-07-06 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no...... go to bmw dealership and drive the 7 series, that's thing right by the armrest (circular) that you turn and press? that's the famous idrive. go and try it out and see how you like it.

it is basically to control everything on the car, from nav to audio, etc... idea is that eveything could be done with that thing. downside is to a lot of people (including me), things seem to have become a lot more complicated

Quick Reply: Mercedes Is Always Behind