LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Auto Express - News and Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 12:43 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Express - News and Video

Not sure if anyone caught this

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/autoexp...xus_ls460.html

Click to the right sidebar to see the full review.

Nice video

Looks like you can only view the site once before registering
Old 08-21-06, 01:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty straightforward review. A few minor mistakes (such as the 10-speaker ML system... ) but otherwise positive for luxury and comfort enthusiasts, and negative for performance enthusiasts.

What can you expect? It's an LS!!!
Old 08-21-06, 01:27 PM
Car Nut
Driver

Great find.Thanks. Best video so far. The author loved the car and liked the powerful brakes. A very positive review.
Old 08-21-06, 01:42 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Default Must do more than 80mph

The driver states that you "hear" the engine at 80mph.

I also got the feeling he liked the car.

It seems we are getting close. Less then a month for the pricing and options and 2 months from today I should be sitting in my new LS460. Freaking out just thinking about.

Between all the reviews and the leaks, we are finally learning what other people have to say besides what Lexus was telling us, and it looks good.

Motorweek quoted some really LOW prices for the car. 58k to 60k for the base? 62k to 65k for "L"? Those are very low figures. Other reviews say 60k euros which is around 75k. Very high.

Guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 08-21-06, 02:09 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

EXCELLENT! Very interesting. Thanks.

I do note that the tester mentions (as I did a while back) how "additionally great" it would be to have paddle shifters on the steering wheel to go along with the new tranny .. like the Corvette.

BUT, one interesting thing he did mention about this tranny, is that if you are cruising at moderate speed and suddenly want to JAM it, it will drop down FOUR gears! Not just one! That should be a blast!

It all just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-21-06, 02:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dfiorito
Motorweek quoted some really LOW prices for the car. 58k to 60k for the base? 62k to 65k for "L"? Those are very low figures. Other reviews say 60k euros which is around 75k. Very high.
Those figures are pretty low, but then again, most automakers aim low to prevent sticker shock too early. It's best to freak out people with the price when the car is released...

Don't forget that European prices are a little more than U.S. prices because of shipping costs and tariffs. Europeans are, of course, noble to their european cars. Japanese cars have a long way to go to earn not only respect, but also a sense of history and place in Europe. Give it some time: people will realize that Lexus offers a different kind of value than their European counterparts.
Old 08-21-06, 02:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfiorito
The driver states that you "hear" the engine at 80mph.
Not really. I think he said that you hear the engine "from 5000rpm". He said it's still very quiet at 80mph.

Great vid BTW. His accent is kinda funny to me though.
Old 08-21-06, 03:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Excellent video & a nice review Thanks !!
Old 08-21-06, 04:46 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Not really. I think he said that you hear the engine "from 5000rpm".
He said, "you have to get it OVER 5000 for the engine to express a growl." (Ie: to get a growl out of the engine.)

And, yes, he did say that the engine is very quiet at 80.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-21-06, 04:57 PM
Car Nut
Driver

On the video when the speedometer is shown, the gauges seem as if they are floating. Almost has a 3-D look. Check at 1:47, 2:25 and 2:58 minutes on the video.
Old 08-21-06, 10:14 PM
Faheta
Driver

Well I'm glad hear Lexus finally gives the LS a button (like a BMW) to defeat the traction control. And if you hold down the button for 3 seconds, it defeats it completely up to 130mph

I hope this button will find its way to the IS & GS as well so people don't have to do the "brake" dance.

Now I'm just waiting to see a "true" sports package. 245mm wide tire for a 4000+ lbs car with 380 hp is Lexus' version of sports? aayy ya
Almost every article (especially from Europe) picks on Lexus for this decision.
Old 08-22-06, 01:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
EXCELLENT! Very interesting. Thanks.

I do note that the tester mentions (as I did a while back) how "additionally great" it would be to have paddle shifters on the steering wheel to go along with the new tranny .. like the Corvette.

BUT, one interesting thing he did mention about this tranny, is that if you are cruising at moderate speed and suddenly want to JAM it, it will drop down FOUR gears! Not just one! That should be a blast!

It all just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
well with 8 gears, if you have to downshift one by one, it's going to take too long. a lot of gearbox nowadays drop couple of gears when you hammer it anyway, say from 5th to 3rd or so
Old 08-23-06, 08:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Faheta
Well I'm glad hear Lexus finally gives the LS a button (like a BMW) to defeat the traction control. And if you hold down the button for 3 seconds, it defeats it completely up to 130mph

I hope this button will find its way to the IS & GS as well so people don't have to do the "brake" dance.

Now I'm just waiting to see a "true" sports package. 245mm wide tire for a 4000+ lbs car with 380 hp is Lexus' version of sports? aayy ya
Almost every article (especially from Europe) picks on Lexus for this decision.
It is already in 2007 IS....
Old 08-23-06, 09:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is already in 2007 IS....
2007 GS has it too. That makes all three RWD Lexus sedans that have it for MY 2007 ... can't wait for the reviews with the TRAC/VSC turned off .
Old 08-23-06, 12:21 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

The new tranny - I understand - has something like choosing either manual or automatic shifting. I think you position the shift lever into S to get it to do "something."

Please explain the special shifting positions and what they do. (And, maybe what you can't do with the shifter.)

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Quick Reply: Auto Express - News and Video