LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just One More Option - Will Anyone Ever Have It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 07:37 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just One More Option - Will Anyone Ever Have It?

Oh yes! Just one more option!

Lexus has so many cameras, sensors and feelers now, that this would be such a minor addition.

How about a camera on each side to show the blind spots .. the back left and right quarters. I hate to admit it, but the older I get (75) the more I would find this VERY helpful .. when changing lanes, etc. As I said, I hate to admit this.

(I know, you young guys, 50 - 60, don't have any trouble with the 180 degree neck turns.)

OR .. maybe when a parking sensor isn't being used, it could double as a "blind spot" monitor. Now, isn't that a hell of an idea??

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-25-06, 07:42 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

What volvo has been doing is simply putting red lights in the side mirrors that come on when someone is in your blind spot. So when you look in the mirror (like we all should) you just see a light.

Most companies seem to have opted out of using cameras for that purpose cause i have to admit, it would be quite distracting to see that much detail for a blind spot. They're going for simple warnings rather than detailed pictures.
Old 08-25-06, 07:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There were cameras I think for such spots on the LF-S concept sedan.

Motor Trend's article says "Lexus, for now is staying out of the lane-departure and blind spot warning systems'...

But that's wrong as the New LS has a lane departure warning system.

And congrats on reaching the esteemed age of 75!!!
Old 08-26-06, 01:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
What volvo has been doing is simply putting red lights in the side mirrors that come on when someone is in your blind spot. So when you look in the mirror (like we all should) you just see a light.

Most companies seem to have opted out of using cameras for that purpose cause i have to admit, it would be quite distracting to see that much detail for a blind spot. They're going for simple warnings rather than detailed pictures.
audi started to have that system for the suv as well, i have to say, that's pretty neat system
Old 08-26-06, 02:05 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Red lights in the side mirrors would be EXCELLENT! I didn't know anyone had that. (What sensor makes the lights go on?)

And, "looking in the mirrors" is no problem. I ALWAYS do that. The "blind spots," of course, are the rear quarters that can't be seen in either mirror.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-26-06, 10:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
Red lights in the side mirrors would be EXCELLENT! I didn't know anyone had that. (What sensor makes the lights go on?)

And, "looking in the mirrors" is no problem. I ALWAYS do that. The "blind spots," of course, are the rear quarters that can't be seen in either mirror.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
dont' think it's all that hard to put sensors to detect objects at blind spot areas
Old 08-26-06, 01:40 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jimm

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
This is Volvo's version...

They call it BLIS...BLindspot Information System. Simple design but very effective.

You can actually see the camera at the bottom of the mirror too...

Last edited by dfkd; 08-26-06 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-26-06, 02:04 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

This is Volvo's version...

They call it BLIS...BLindspot Information System. Simple design but very effective.
I want it.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 09-03-06, 04:46 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome feature.

Volvo has a new feature coming out also. It detects if there anyone in your car before you get in or what not.

Someone at Volvo/Ford been watching too many horror films. Still awesome feature, hope too see it in other cars also.
Old 09-03-06, 09:19 AM
h2o_247
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I believe the toyota estima in japan already has cameras like that as an option.

http://toyota.jp/estima/navi-audio/navi/index.html

regards,

felix
Old 09-03-06, 03:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the new Q7 has some sort of blind spot system?
Old 09-04-06, 09:51 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THANK ME LATER

i learned a simple trick in a driver improvement clinic years ago that all but elimates the blind spot. i was told that this method was encouraged by AAA (triple A): sit in the driver seat comfortably and adjust the rearview mirror normally. then move your head all the way to the left window so it is touching the glass and adjust your left mirror so that you barely see the tip of the left side of your car. then, move your head to the center of the car and look to the right mirror with just your eyes. adjust the right mirror so that you barely see the edge of the right side of your car. you will not be able to see the sides of your car in the side mirrors in the normal driving position. if you do this correctly, you have a 360 degree view of the space around you while driving... i.e.: you see a car coming from behind in the rearview; as soon as it is out of rearview mirror's sight the car appears in your side mirror; as soon as it is out of the sidemirror view, it is in your peripheral view. MAGIC. it takes some getting used to not being able to see the body of your car in the mirrors, but once you figure this system out, you will wonder why you didn't know about it sooner. so screw auto union and its useless blis.

Last edited by mikepae; 09-04-06 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 10:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^
That sounds cool, I will check it out.
Old 09-04-06, 11:14 PM
ic144
Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
Here's a link to some details on mirror adjustment:

http://www.motorists.com/issues/safe...t_mirrors.html
I've driving like that ever since I've got my license.

This kind of mirror adjustment pushes the blind spot to the corner of your eye.

Therefore you don't need to turn your head behind you to look at the blind spot.

You'll just need to look out your right/left window to check for cars and that's it.

As for the idea for a Lexus option to improve review mirrors, is to install video cameras instead of mirrors.

Video screens or heads-up displays can be used on the windows or dashpanels to accomodate such features.

Here is an example in the Lexus LF-S and LF-C Concept.

©2006 Lexus, a Division of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. All information contained herein applies to U.S. vehicles only.

PS: I still wish more of the styling in the concept cars reached the final product. Just look at that!!

©2006 Lexus, a Division of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. All information contained herein applies to U.S. vehicles only.
Old 09-04-06, 11:41 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

i just use two of those $1.99 blindspot mirrors. They work very well.

Quick Reply: Just One More Option - Will Anyone Ever Have It?