LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dan Neil on the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 05:34 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KKelly
Personally, how the LS, S class or 7 series BMW's compare is not of much interest to me. I am nowhere near ready to drive a car like that yet.
Most of us here aren't, but the point of these car's excessive displays of technology and luxurious appointments is that we WANT to drive one, someday.

I used to doubt the validity of the LS460 and the LS600h, but the more I read about it and see it, it illicits an envious "damn" response.
Old 08-30-06, 06:09 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Writer's are certainly entitled to their opinions.

However, I'd love to read a review from him about the new S-Class which he loves to mention. The new S is loaded with new technolgies as well. Do we really believe he would have the same negativity about MB's advances?? No Way! In fact he (like all editors like him) will praise Mercedes for it. The upcoming MB CL is copying Lexus' park assist system that he bashes the hell out of. But I'm sure it will be OK because Mercedes is doing it.

He is even negative about the styling!
Come on now. It is truly one of the best looking cars out their. I would have to look toward Lamborghini, Fararri, or Aston Martin to find better.
Would he really say the new S is better looking?? Please.
He probably thinks the 7 series is better looking too.
Old 08-30-06, 08:54 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't Mel Gibson recently get pulled over driving his LS in Malibu?

I think he can pretty much afford any car he wants, but chose the Lexus. Maybe we should ask him if he was influenced by hip-hop music.
Old 08-30-06, 08:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
Didn't Mel Gibson recently get pulled over driving his LS in Malibu?

I think he can pretty much afford any car he wants, but chose the Lexus. Maybe we should ask him if he was influenced by hip-hop music.
I thought I' ve read somewhere he was pulled over driving a SC430 ?
Old 08-30-06, 09:20 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LA Times is absolute trash. Especially their sports articles. If their sports writers are blind, is it really that much of a stretch that this guy is too?

Last edited by GStateOM; 08-30-06 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 09:29 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus will be reguarded as the #1 most prestigeous brand one day. They got the sales to #1, prestige will take time. If they can realy deliver true sports packages, the uber car fans will take lexus seriously. They also need better stock rims for the ls, something like the concept but the standard are terrible.
Old 08-30-06, 09:45 PM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I strongly disagree with this man's opinion of the new LS 460. He stated that
"the brand still ranks near zero Kelvin on the prestige thermometer" give me a break. What Lexus was able to do in 16 years is far better than what MB and BMW has be doing for 80 years. In my opinion this article is crap. He can disagree with my opinion and that's fine...
Old 08-31-06, 12:27 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KKelly
ANYONE who reads the Billboard top 50 knows that Dan Neil's quote was blatantly biased
Ummh, yeah, it is an opinion. What exactly do you guys mean by biased? That he discriminates against Lexus? That he will hate Lexus no matter what? I find biased usually means you don't agree with him.
MY POINT IS:

Dan Neil says Lexus is inferior to "Benz, Cadillac, BMW, Audi" on prestige, and as evidence he cites Billboard top 50 where in 2005, Lexus didn't crack top 50.

1. This quote is blatantly biased because neither BMW or Audi cracked the top 50 in the Billboard ratings in 2005 either. Dan Neil doesn't mention this.

2. Furthermore, Lexus was #2 and #11 respectively the previous two years out of the Billboard 50. Dan Neil neglects to mention this.

3. Additionally, Lexus beat Cadillac, BMW, and Audi at least once in the Billboard ratings the last three years. Audi has NEVER been in the Billboard top ratings, and Lexus beat BMW 2 out of the 3 past years. Lexus has also beat out Maserati, Porsche, Ferrari, et al in the rankings. Dan Neil doesn't mention this either.

There is bias when one points to a Billboard top 50, says 'Lexus is inferior because hip hop artists don't mention it at all" when a) THEY HAVE, b) THE OTHERS HAVEN"T been mentioned that much either this year.

But "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story."
Old 08-31-06, 04:08 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Dan Neil appears to be a loser. And, a phoney. Any writer who overuses “big words” so much is trying to impress you .. rather than inform you.

His article was so suspiciously one sided that anyone would question his objectivity and real knowledge of cars.

He would be the “bloviating bore“ of any party. Avoid him at all cost.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-31-06, 04:15 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GStateOM
The LA Times is absolute trash.
You have a good point.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-31-06, 04:19 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by genearch
Like I've said before... disagree with him all you want. I personally agree and disagree with a number of the points he raised, but I'm not here attacking him personally. I know very little about him, but it appears he is certainly qualified:

[FONT=hevetica,arial]EXPERIENCE
Los Angeles Times, automobile columnist, 2003-.
Lecturer, North Carolina Wesleyan College, 1986-87.
Spectator Magazine, copy editor, arts columnist; 1987-89.
The News and Observer, copy editor, arts reporter, 1989-91; automotive section editor, 1991-96.
Autoweek Magazine, senior contributing editor, 1994-97.
Car and Driver Magazine, contributing editor, 1997-2003.
Attache Magazine, contributing editor, 1997-1999.
Expedia Travels Magazine, senior travel editor, 1999-2001.
The New York Times, automotive reviewer, 1995-2003.
Worth Magazine, contributing editor, 200 1-2003.
Freelance writer, published in Conde Nast Traveler, Travel and Leisure, Baltimore Sun Magazine, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Art Forum, Robb Report, and many other newspapers and magazines.
It would appear that he's jumped around quite a bit.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-31-06, 08:45 AM
Gotham
Rookie

From reading the article it is clear to see two things:

1 - The writer dislikes Lexus and doesn't want their success to continue.

2 - He feels they did succeed again with the new LS and is pissed.
Old 08-31-06, 10:05 AM
Shinjiro
Driver School Candidate

This bias is really nothing new to Japanese manufacturers as a whole. The problem for me is the car media at large here in the US is very subjective and very set in their ways. Much like movie critics these people make their living off reviewing things in their particular area of "expertise". This leads to alot of cynical wordplay and snobby rhetoric. But like with the movies, what reviewers tell you you should find appealing should never replace your own personal opinions. Often the worst reviewed movies will provide to be the most entertaining. With the LS460 this will probably be the case as well. Despite what the experts say, people will buy and enjoy this vehicle and have no qualms about it, much like others have for the last 15+ years that Lexus has been available. I love my LS430 despite it all, and I would love to get my hands on an LS460.
Old 08-31-06, 10:08 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

Originally Posted by JLSC4

He is even negative about the styling!
Come on now. It is truly one of the best looking cars out their. I would have to look toward Lamborghini, Fararri, or Aston Martin to find better.
Would he really say the new S is better looking?? Please.
He probably thinks the 7 series is better looking too.
I'll have to admit, from the pictures I've seen the LS460 looks so 'bleh' both interior and exterior, Then again I thought the W221 benz was ugly, untill it took me a few months (and dark colors!) to get used to it.

I'll reserve my final judgement when I see it in person.
Old 08-31-06, 10:11 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said. In the end, what really matters is what we think ourselves. I've purchased many things where someone else thought I was crazy. The bottom line is not taking what someone said in a review so personal. I stay at a lot of hotels that I find absolutely wonderful and worth it (luxury, high end properties). Many of those same hotels have had bad reviews by individuals. But I can guarantee you my personal experience will not change the opinion about the individual properties. Same goes for cars.

And I still don't think that the review was that far off.

Quick Reply: Dan Neil on the LS460