LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Should the LS 460, 460L be priced head-to-head with Germans

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 04:03 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the LS 460, 460L be priced head-to-head with Germans

LS 460 is a remarkable feat of engineering.

1. Leading edge design and craftsmanship
2. Highest efficiency V8 with class leading power. Leader in Fuel efficiency
3. World's first 8-speed automatic.
4. Groundbraking safety technology with several world firsts
5. Unsurpassed luxury.
6. Legendary reliability.
7. Remarkable improvement in agility.

Only Downside:

Still playing second fiddle to germans on pricing. Dan Neil says "Cut rate, value priced Prestige LS" is an oxymoron. He may be wrong on all other counts but he nailed this one.

Its time to soar higher. Should Lexus position the new LS head-to-head with the Audi and BMW??? Thats the burning question.
Old 09-01-06, 04:04 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Default LS pricing vis-a-vis germans over the years

A very significant price trend between LS and its competitors.

Data collected from Carsdirect. To be fair to germans, the comparison is between

LS (400,430) vs 7-series (SWB), A8 (SWB), S430 (not S500)
Attached Thumbnails Should the LS 460, 460L be priced head-to-head with Germans-lschart_27229_image001.gif  

Last edited by Stevekil; 09-01-06 at 04:07 PM. Reason: some clarification
Old 09-01-06, 04:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

LS should be priced where both dealers and Lexus make huge amounts of money on it, and not more. Why overcharge? Just because you can?
Old 09-01-06, 04:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Based on those trend lines it seems the status quo has been maintained so far as price, but the LS increase has not been as sharp as the others. Note however that volume might tell a different story, because in the US the LS outsells the 7-series, S-class, and A8.

I think the New LS represents an opportunity to move upmarket with the LS in price, but also in features. The 460 L and 600h L represent that opportunity. However I'm forecasting the LS 460 SWB to have a more modest increase.

One thing to note is that Lexus has achieved #1 in sales in the US, but uses a value price system to its advantage on its models. Perhaps the LS will have less of that.

Originally Posted by spwolf
LS should be priced where both dealers and Lexus make huge amounts of money on it, and not more. Why overcharge? Just because you can?
There is an argument out there among luxury car aficiandos that suggests price = prestige. If Toyota/Lexus is cutthroat enough, they might try to 'overcharge' like the Germans. Because their production methods and designs are more efficient, they will make even more $$$ and hopefully that will make their designs even more segment-leading than before.

But it will undercut the value proposition for buyers.

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Luxury-brands.gif
Attached Thumbnails Should the LS 460, 460L be priced head-to-head with Germans-luxury-brands.gif  
Old 09-01-06, 04:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree, why should lexus charge more? i don't make crap load of money, so i see the value in lexus more coz' i pay less for more. a lot of people out there shed out tons of money for somethingbut that's not my business?
Old 09-01-06, 04:16 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Default More on pricing, the oracle spoketh

Originally Posted by spwolf

Overcharge??? I think thats a philosophical issue. Charging more will allow Lexus to invest that extra money in engineering. Toyota is loaded with money, but more money doesnt hurt.

Also, prestige is intricately related to Luxury as Dan Neil of LA times and Eisenstien of CarConnection have noted.

Its time to soar higher! LS should match A8 and 7-series pricing.
Old 09-01-06, 04:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by enigma888
Based on those trend lines it seems the status quo has been maintained so far as price, but the LS increase has not been as sharp as the others. Note however that volume might tell a different story, because in the US the LS outsells the 7-series, S-class, and A8.

I think the New LS represents an opportunity to move upmarket with the LS in price, but also in features. The 460 L and 600h L represent that opportunity. However I'm forecasting the LS 460 SWB to have a more modest increase.

One thing to note is that Lexus has achieved #1 in sales in the US, but uses a value price system to its advantage on its models. Perhaps the LS will have less of that.

There is an argument out there among luxury car aficiandos that suggests price = prestige. If Toyota/Lexus is cutthroat enough, they might try to 'overcharge' like the Germans. Because their production methods and designs are more efficient, they will make even more $$$ and hopefully that will make their designs even more segment-leading than before.

But it will undercut the value proposition for buyers.

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Luxury-brands.gif
i agree the factor of the price = prestige part, but that shouldn't be on all LS460 imho. the base ones, keep them where they were. fully loaded ls460l and ls600hl, that's where real prestige comines in
Old 09-01-06, 04:22 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Default Why should Lexus charge more?

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree, why should lexus charge more? i don't make crap load of money, so i see the value in lexus more coz' i pay less for more. a lot of people out there shed out tons of money for somethingbut that's not my business?

That again is a philosophical musing. I think LS should position itself in top1% of the vehicle market which means higher than

$65,000.

Now if you find it expensive, there is GS to look for! That is why lexus has modeled itself into 3-tier player like germans

IS, GS and LS.

So if LS is overpriced or out of budget, move to GS, and if that is too much, then move to IS. Or the other way around.

There is a feeling of confidence which comes when you are in top 1% playing with top guns. It can only help Lexus.

LS should be out and out for top dollar, should pull no punches. GS should be enhanced to fill in for low end LS 430 of the past.

Last edited by Stevekil; 09-01-06 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 04:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok, i agree, but isn't that how it's working now? talk about loaded is350, it's around 40k. loaded gs450h/430, it's about 58k? loaded ls460, i think it's going to be around 74k (my guess, on swb).

so it's placed very evenly? you can't put together a loaded gs430 with a base ls460 (which imho would be hard to find anyway)
Old 09-01-06, 04:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I agree, it's working like that for the IS 350, is/will be for GS 450h/GS 460...

We have to wait and see what it'll be like for the LS 460/460 L/600h L...
Old 09-01-06, 04:42 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Default Golden Rule:Differentiation brings clarity, clarity brings class, class brings wealth

Originally Posted by rominl
ok, i agree, but isn't that how it's working now? talk about loaded is350, it's around 40k. loaded gs450h/430, it's about 58k? loaded ls460, i think it's going to be around 74k (my guess, on swb).

so it's placed very evenly? you can't put together a loaded gs430 with a base ls460 (which imho would be hard to find anyway)

Actually I am following the tried dictum of Peter Drucker (management god) and Jack Welch (Former GE god). There has to be clear differentiation. And differentiation comes from reducing elasticity.

LS has been too elastic in the past and its range has been floating. It needs to widen the differentiation.

By creating a clear price gap of $15,000, the resulting differentiation will attain clarity and cut-through turbidity. This will create a psychological wealth exuberance, an itch so to say.

The past: GS = 52K just 5K shy from LS 430 base.

But reality states: LS should be 10-15 K away from loaded GS. So it should start at 67-68K base (SWB LS) and 72K = LWB LS.

Steve Kilburn

Last edited by Stevekil; 09-01-06 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 04:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^
Please save the data from that chart so that when the pricing does come out, we can see where the trend goes!
Old 09-01-06, 04:54 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Default Here is a more clarified version of the graph

Originally Posted by enigma888
I agree, it's working like that for the IS 350, is/will be for GS 450h/GS 460...

We have to wait and see what it'll be like for the LS 460/460 L/600h L...
This graph shows clear gaps which fuel contempt for Lexus as a cut-rate brand.
Attached Thumbnails Should the LS 460, 460L be priced head-to-head with Germans-book2_19870_image001.gif  
Old 09-01-06, 05:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
Actually I am following the tried dictum of Peter Drucker (management god) and Jack Welch (Former GE god). There has to be clear differentiation. And differentiation comes from reducing elasticity.

LS has been too elastic in the past and its range has been floating. It needs to widen the differentiation.

By creating a clear price gap of $15,000, the resulting differentiation will attain clarity and cut-through turbidity. This will create a psychological wealth exuberance, an itch so to say.

The past: GS = 52K just 5K shy from LS 430 base.

But reality states: LS should be 10-15 K away from loaded GS. So it should start at 67-68K base (SWB LS) and 72K = LWB LS.

Steve Kilburn
except that will kill the sales.

LS WILL go up in pricing. Same as ES, IS and GS going up in pricing. Especially when fully optioned.

But there is no reason to overdo it.

Despite those MSRP prices (among luxury brands):
a. Lexus dealers make most per car sold
b. Lexus makes most per car sold

There was an article last year which gave reasons why Lexus dealers were happiest in the industry - LS at 70k made more profits for the dealer than S class at 90k for MB dealer.
Old 09-01-06, 05:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

There's also the issue of negotiating leeway, I remember reading that Mercedes has had very strict limits on how much discounting, etc. can be done by the dealer. Lexus dealers can discount, add dealer-installed options, etc. more freely. However Lexus corporate frowns on 'sales' except for the Lexus Golden Opportunity Sales Event.

Quick Reply: Should the LS 460, 460L be priced head-to-head with Germans