LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is anyone else annoyed... (why doesn't the new LS come standard as a flying car?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 07:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stevekil
Diesel-Electric Hybrids will provide high torque, highest possible fuel efficiency and solve the emissions problem of diesels.

Lexus should introduce a V8 or V10 diesel with electric motor as a hybrid in 2009 to celebrate the birthday in style
Sounds fascinating, only there might be a copyright issue with the designation:

LS 800 dhL

LOL!
Old 09-04-06, 08:43 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by enigma888
Sounds fascinating, only there might be a copyright issue with the designation:

LS 800 dhL

LOL!
Hmm!

Old 09-05-06, 10:38 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j three
tresmith, so you call making 100 more horsepower with only .3 ltrs while increasing fuel efficiency over the last model not next generation?
Well said. The new engine, combined with all the other techno gadgets makes the new LS a next gen car. Still not sure if the design is truly next gen...guess I'll wait until I see the car in person.
Old 09-05-06, 02:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tresmith00
The 4.6 engine is definitely new but is it really next generation. By that I mean, is it that much of a leap forward. Also, don't you think the engine would have been made even better by adding the hybrid technology. Also by releasing the hybrid engine in the top-of-the-line 600hl, they are basically saying that that engine is the next generation engine not the 4.6.

Hybrid technology has been on the market for 8 years now and it does what it's supposed to do very well. It was an experiment back then and that's why it was released in a budget car like the prius. It's not an experiment anymore. Also look at the segment that they are releasing the 600hl in. It's the maybach, roll-royce crowd. Lexus would be really taking a chance of damaging their reputation by introducing an experimental technology to that car segment.
It takes Lexus 4.6 liters to make 380hp and have class leading fuel economy.
It takes BMW and Benz 5.5 liters or 5.0 liters to have comparable HP and worse fuel economy.

There was an article in Sports Car International (by far the best auto mag from America) where an editorial said Benz could have done somethign special by making the engine more fuel efficient and more powerful but instead did the same ole bore and stroke for more power and worse economy.

Old 09-07-06, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree with everyone else too. i think it's actually a stupid idea if they make hybrid "standard" on the LS. it's flagship, but that doesn't mean it's always just a package. this is not acura, where the only option you get is nav or no nav. the LS is going to be a very broad range model, both in price range and options. for the top money you get the ls600hl which is hybrid, but for normal people (who either don't need that much power, or don't have as much money, or don't really believe in hybrid), there is the normal v8
Old 09-07-06, 06:28 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Toyota/Lexus has already sold over 60,000 hybrid cars

this year. The next closest make is Ford at 10,000 which are the 1st gen. Prius technology under license to Ford. Of course there aren't any players in the Luxury market except Lexus. Porsche, Suburu, and Nissan all have arrangements to borrow the technology from Toyota/Lexus if desired. Since hybrids have not been proven to be profitable it is difficult to see much enthusiasm in the boardroom for them. They are however an evolutionary step towards electric cars of the future. The hybrids will develop better motor/generators, batteries and power conversion devices in the future. The cost may come down in time and make them more profitable. Toyota/Lexus have invested and developed while others have only produced press releases saying "We're working on it."

There seems to be a disconnect on how these hybrids work. In the case of the LS600hl there is a powerful fuel efficient 5.0 V8. It is connected to a CVT or continuously variable transmission which is a planetary gear type of design. At this point two powerful permanent magnent electric motors are introduced and with a further High/Low range selection that can be chosen. After all of that there is a mechanical center differential that splits the power between the rear driveshaft and one to the front drive line. There will be massive torque spread to all wheels which should give it excellent straight ahead acceleration regardless of the traction conditions. Some magazine will probably test it against the M-Benz 4 matic and proclaim a winner based on soul or some other claptrap.....

The space consuming hybrid battery costs about $6000 alone. The electric motor/generators, CVT and power conversion transformers at least that much again. I don't think Bosch could make a computer that could reliably work the system so that is probably why you don't see any Mercedes Diesel/hybrids even though it would be a natural fit. The manufacturing cost of hybrids is high so it is not a question of only $5,000.....It is a question of long term vision and the resources to pursue it. It reminds me of the space race when John F. Kennedy said that in 8 years we will put a man on the moon. It took 9 years and we were all alone on that mission. Lexus is all alone in this field and proceeding forward with the 600hL.

Rock
Old 09-07-06, 10:30 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

“tresmith, so you call making 100 more horsepower with only .3 ltrs while increasing fuel efficiency over the last model not next generation? “

Improving on existing technology does not make an engine “next generation”. I feel that what they did with the 4.6 engine was just improve on what they had. Don’t get me wrong what they accomplished with the 4.6 is definitely impressive but I would not call it next generation. To me a next generation engine is one that introduces brand new technology to the car segment, not just improve on the existing. If you notice just about all carmakers improve their engines with every new model. By what you are saying, every new model with a new engine is next generation.

‘i agree with everyone else too. i think it's actually a stupid idea if they make hybrid "standard" on the LS.”

Hybrid tech. is the future and the only reason why it's not in more cars is because Toyota owns most patents on the technology. according to one of the automags (I forget which one but when I find the article, i'll post it) every other car manufacturer right now is working on their own version of the hybrid tech. so guess what, you will be driving a hybrid car very soon whether you like it or not.

“Since hybrids have not been proven to be profitable it is difficult to see much enthusiasm in the boardroom for them.”

What?!!! Where did you read this? According to this Q & A it looks like They are making money on the hybrid. Othewise why would another carmaker even license the technology from toyota.

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/hybri...LosesMoney.htm

I predict that Lexus will offer the hybrid engine as an option to the other LS models by the mid-year refresh. And I predict that it will be standard on the next model. In the same fashion that Lexus changed the engine to the GS300 after just one year. They will do the same to the LS.

And To the @hole, that changed the title to my post, F.U. If you don’t agree or don’t like what I’m saying, just move on to another thread.
Old 09-08-06, 12:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The hybrid engine is an option on both SWB and LWB models already, the LS 600h will only be sold in Europe and Asia though, while the LS 600h L is sold in North America (I assume Europe and Asia get both).

No offense, but the new thread title is kinda funny. I do hope that one day the LS is a flying car. But the hybrid question is a much closer and more reasonable one. I'm still convinced however that the business case is not fully there yet.
Old 09-08-06, 09:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people are never satisfied it seems ... just like Dan Neil

As for the new 4.6L 1UR-FSE, again, seems like some are never satisfied. I don't see how else Lexus could have made it "next generation". It's certainly the most advanced production V8 in the world right now, and a huge leap over the old 4.3L 3UZ-FE V8.

Electrically variable intake valve timing, not to mention the dual fuel injection on the new V8 I'd say are pretty "next generation". The engine was a brand new design from the ground up.
Old 09-08-06, 09:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

“And To the @hole, that changed the title to my post, F.U. If you don’t agree or don’t like what I’m saying, just move on to another thread.
A moderator probably did (not me), but please refrain from using such language in this forum, such attitude will not be tolerated. I suggest you read the FAQ above on the forum rules/etiquette, which you agreed to adhere to when you joined clublexus. If you have problem with the change, pm an administrator or a moderator instead.
Old 09-08-06, 09:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

And To the @hole, that changed the title to my post, F.U. If you don’t agree or don’t like what I’m saying, just move on to another thread.
That was me and it was very obviously a lighthearted joke.

Responding in that fashion is not appropriate, please refer to our forum rules on profanity and response to comments as LexArazzo suggests.

I'm going to ask you to take a forced vacation from the forum for a while, and come back when you've cooled down if you can be more civil.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-08-06 at 10:09 AM.