LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls460 0-60 And Braking Times

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 12:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
The proof will be in driving it and seeing how it feels, but reading the C&D and R&T articles didn't make me think I'm going to be rushing out to trade my 3rd Gen based upon rocket-like performance or other on-the-road improvements in the new one. I hope it is more exciting when I drive one than what the magazines have reflected so far.

Also, judging from the photos it looks like my fears may have been realized in that the car looks, appearance wise, like Lexus has built a somewhat generic-looking RL/GS/IS/Altima/7-series universal Japanese sedan. I'm still hoping that it doesn't look this way in person. If so, it's a shame.
Which R & T article are you talking about? R & T in their LS460 article generally praised the car, as did most articles stemming from the Austria press event. C & D was one of only few that criticized the LS460, and was "dissapointed" in their test results, even though no other articles claimed to have specific test numbers on the car.

Wait till you see the car in person, till you drive it, and till decent reviews come out for it. The LS460 in person does not look generic at all, and it looks very sharp.
Old 09-14-06, 01:18 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The one in the current issue of R&T. They didn't really say much negative, but it didn't strike me that they were overly impressed either. Frankly, I think all of the reviews I've seen have been stretching to make an article out of a limited amount of seat time. I'm hoping that the impressions turn very favorable when full-on tests and comparisons are conducted.

I'm glad to hear that it doesn't look generic in person. I think there's a difference between sharp/nice-looking/whatever a lot of cars are acheiving these days, and what I'd LIKE to see out of the new LS. For example, I think the Acura RL is a pretty nice looking car, but at the same time it is so forgetable and soul-less, or something..... I was hoping that the new LS would take the uniqueness of the 3rd gen car to a new level and NOT just jump on the modern/generic bandwagon like I feel that Toyota did with the GS. I hope to be proven very wrong about this fear, though, and I do maintain some faith in Toyota that they've gotten it right.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Which R & T article are you talking about? R & T in their LS460 article generally praised the car, as did most articles stemming from the Austria press event. C & D was one of only few that criticized the LS460, and was "dissapointed" in their test results, even though no other articles claimed to have specific test numbers on the car.

Wait till you see the car in person, till you drive it, and till decent reviews come out for it. The LS460 in person does not look generic at all, and it looks very sharp.
Old 09-15-06, 10:04 AM
Stevekil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
The one in the current issue of R&T. They didn't really say much negative, but it didn't strike me that they were overly impressed either. Frankly, I think all of the reviews I've seen have been stretching to make an article out of a limited amount of seat time. I'm hoping that the impressions turn very favorable when full-on tests and comparisons are conducted.

I'm glad to hear that it doesn't look generic in person. I think there's a difference between sharp/nice-looking/whatever a lot of cars are acheiving these days, and what I'd LIKE to see out of the new LS. For example, I think the Acura RL is a pretty nice looking car, but at the same time it is so forgetable and soul-less, or something..... I was hoping that the new LS would take the uniqueness of the 3rd gen car to a new level and NOT just jump on the modern/generic bandwagon like I feel that Toyota did with the GS. I hope to be proven very wrong about this fear, though, and I do maintain some faith in Toyota that they've gotten it right.
Pssst... Here is a little secret for you. Only the europeans have soul. If your car is not european, voila, its soul-free.
Old 09-15-06, 12:29 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
Pssst... Here is a little secret for you. Only the europeans have soul. If your car is not european, voila, its soul-free.
I think you need to narrow it down a lot more than "europeans." I've owned several european cars including BMWs and MBs and I'd say that most of them are pretty "soul-free." Most people's belief in that kind of stuff is determined by how much of the brand's marketing BS and hype they fall for.