LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 09:45 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics

So Lexus sent me to a "Ride and Drive" event today to experience the all new LS460. This is the same Taste of Luxury Tour in El Toro Marine Base in Irvine,Ca.

I'm certainly privileged to be apart of Lexus because they send you to these functions and cater to you to the fullest extent. They fed and educated us all morning and even let us road test the LS and its competitors. Anyway, I snapped off some pics that I would like to share to the rest of you folks on CL...enjoy!!!

They were warming up an LS @ 7am...definete sneek peek from the parking lot...
[IMG][/IMG]

The all new LS460 in gold...Chardonnay perhaps??

The rear of the vehicle...nice exhaust tips

The only interior shot I got off because they ushered us off to the next station...rear seats had lots of room btw..

The business end of the new LS - brand new 380hp 4.6L V8...

The front right wheel...fixed 4 piston calipers still apply here....
Old 09-19-06, 09:46 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now moving on to the LS460L...same rear end...

Right Rear Seat Area....relaxing in style for sure...

All of your controls at your finger tips when you relax in the rear....*Note* You can adjust the seat in front of you when seated in the right rear position.

Suede like headliner with dual air zones that accomdate each passenger to the desired temperature, adjusting accordingly to the occupants body temp...

Now onto the test drive...one in Blue Onyx I believe...

The course...turning radius test in the beginning(which the LS dominated in), accleration test(Got it up to 75mph before hitting the brakes), then braking(Felt really good btw), then the VDIM corner test(Actually works), then the slalom.

The LS with its competitors...the new S550 and 750i

Driving Impressions:

LS460 - Quicker than the previous LS for sure...felt nimble for its size, great brakes. It had the luxury ride but not quite the sportiness feel when driven on this course. Acceleration was very smooth and linear. Steering was responsive a la EPS...

S550 Benz - Although the LS460 is quicker on paper, this vehicle felt a lot more powerful...great engine and exhaust note. Also had stellar brakes. Handling was a bit more solid than the LS. Interior layout is by far the best in any S-Class ever offered. Dissapointed in the intergrated "I-Drive" style feature. Reminded me of the 7 Series...So many buttons everywhere and had a hard time figuring out where all of the adjustsments were. Other than that, this S-Class is by far the best S...

750i - The best handling vehicle of the bunch in my opinion. It took the turns and corners easily and was very much in control. It was a little weak in the power department but the handling offsets it. Downside? iDrive still present...

Verdict:
Without a doubt, if I would take any 1 of these vehicles home, I would be happy. All 3 had luxury appointed leather seating,cabin space, gadgets and gizmos. However, if you're looking for the best bang for your buck, then the LS460 would be a good choice because of what it has to offer. It has a bevy of features that are easy to utilize and understand. Aside from the performance testing, I Think that's where the new LS really shines. Great day overall Beats a day in the office!
Old 09-19-06, 09:52 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up! I like the fact that you have lots of pics. Good to see a non-biased review of those vehicles.
Old 09-19-06, 10:15 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I like the picture you have of all three cars from the rear. Do you have one with the front?

The LS460 rear looks the best in that picture if you could just put some decent wheels on the LS460.
Old 09-20-06, 07:40 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what does lexus do with all the pre-production test vehicles? I wish i could get one. That would be awesome! Do they destroy them?
Old 09-20-06, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

some go to the crash test, some they store them for refrerence, some might eventually get destroyed

on preproduction cars sometimes some of the stuff don't work anyway, and i did hear more rattles and creeks than other lexus
Old 09-20-06, 10:54 AM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
some go to the crash test, some they store them for refrerence, some might eventually get destroyed

on preproduction cars sometimes some of the stuff don't work anyway, and i did hear more rattles and creeks than other lexus
The rear looks really firm and tight in these pictures. better than bmw and benz. The front looks pretty. The side looks athletic.

This is the best shaped lexus in the entire line-up. The IS is good too.

I just hope they firm up the GS soon. it seriously needs some cosmetic surgery.
Old 09-20-06, 12:29 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice write up, and thanks a lot for posting pics
Old 09-20-06, 02:46 PM
Car Nut
Driver

I like the way they have an actual plan and proper sequence for you to follow on the course. Great pictures and thanks for the write up.
Old 09-20-06, 08:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I got the LS460 up to 80 last weekend coming out of turn 4. I'm with Henry on the other review, the LS460's brakes felt lacking in a way. At one point in time, I used both feet to get on the pedal.
Old 09-20-06, 09:33 PM
Faheta
Driver

Nice write up. How do other aspects of the LS compare to the competitors?

Quietness? Seat comfort? LS460L rear seat?
Old 09-21-06, 12:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Faheta
Nice write up. How do other aspects of the LS compare to the competitors?

Quietness? Seat comfort? LS460L rear seat?
quietness might be something not good for comparisons, since most of the ls460 there are preproduction and i did hear some rattles. i wonder the final production ones would be better

Originally Posted by Stevekil
The rear looks really firm and tight in these pictures. better than bmw and benz. The front looks pretty. The side looks athletic.

This is the best shaped lexus in the entire line-up. The IS is good too.

I just hope they firm up the GS soon. it seriously needs some cosmetic surgery.
i am with you on that. the LS is simply the best looking, and the IS is next. the GS, imho, it just a problem on exterior design

Originally Posted by flipside909
I got the LS460 up to 80 last weekend coming out of turn 4. I'm with Henry on the other review, the LS460's brakes felt lacking in a way. At one point in time, I used both feet to get on the pedal.
for me i was literally standing on the brakes already, even the seat belt sensor got triggered. but the car just didn't stop fast enough. didnt' hear skidding or abs though, so seems like the brakes was still working. for sure the pedal felt very soft, and overall it's just not powerful enough
Old 09-21-06, 06:29 AM
Shantonu
Driver School Candidate

I really can't waite any longer omg...i am getting that blue onyx.
Old 09-21-06, 07:39 AM
carenthus
Driver

This picture makes the german design looks weak. The LS460 is a beautiful car. It has the mean, sporty, and clean classy look. Gorgeous!!
Old 09-21-06, 07:46 AM
carenthus
Driver

And this frontal shot of the Onyx Blue is beautiful.

Or you can call it:
admirable, alluring, angelic, appealing, beauteous, bewitching, charming, classy, comely, cute, dazzling, delicate, delightful, divine, elegant, enticing, excellent, exquisite, fair, fascinating, fine, foxy, good-looking, gorgeous, graceful, grand, handsome, ideal, lovely, magnificent, marvelous, nice, pleasing, pretty, pulchritudinous, radiant, ravishing, refined, resplendent, shapely, sightly, splendid, statuesque, stunning, sublime, superb, symmetrical, taking, well-formed, wonderful

Quick Reply: Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics