LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wood Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 02:58 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wood Steering Wheel

I just don't get. Perhaps it's because I only drove a few cars with one.
With all of the protective coating required, it just feels like plastic. Other than looks (there is plenty of wood elsewhere in luxury car interiors), what is so great about a wood steering wheel.
Old 09-22-06, 03:02 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

I really like wood steering wheels because of the aesthetics. It is right below your sight when driving (if it is on the top of the wheel), so you probably see that more than anything else when driving.

It's just really luxurious looking to me. I'm a little sad it isn't an option on the IS, but oh well.

Compare:

The IS looks sportier but the GX w/ wood wheel looks more luxurious. The wood on my GX is so awesome; the grain is so deep...

However, it might just be personal preference. You might not like the look of wood, and thats cool You could always get this instead of wood on a GX:

Last edited by yaro1; 09-22-06 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 03:07 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the way the wood steering wheel feels.

I'd be very unhappy if Lexus removed the polished wood steering wheel.

HBH
Old 09-22-06, 03:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The wood steering wheel is here to stay...but now with the LS 460, the option of a heated steering wheel is added.
Old 09-22-06, 04:50 PM
Car Nut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest attraction for me is that a wood steering wheel gives a sense of warmth to the car. A plain steering wheel is so cold and uninviting in a luxury car.

The steering wheel of the new LS apparently is heated. The wood and the leather portions getting heated to the same temperature. I have no idea how Lexus could quickly heat two dissimilar materials to feel the same temperature.

Imagine a group of engineers working on this item alone until they perfected it.

In my opinion that is why Lexus cars always show the great attention to detail their designers have produced.
Old 09-22-06, 08:36 PM
gandro
Driver

Adding a heating element under the wood and having it warm up quick enough (low heat conduction material) without causing a fire is an engineering marvel in itself. Can't wait to experience this feature.
Too bad Lexus doesnt write a book on how they developed their vehicles. It would be impressively fascinating.
Old 09-22-06, 09:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed Test Drive had a special on the GS450h. They had a black one with the dark wood trim (looks blue.. or at least, similar to the one posted above) and it looked absolutely stunning.
Old 09-23-06, 12:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gandro
Adding a heating element under the wood and having it warm up quick enough (low heat conduction material) without causing a fire is an engineering marvel in itself. Can't wait to experience this feature.
Too bad Lexus doesnt write a book on how they developed their vehicles. It would be impressively fascinating.
Agreed. Although there is 'The Lexus Story' but it is a more general look, I'm sure they won't give away too many secrets!

As for wood steering wheel, I think it's very nice if done right; others have noted it's sometimes harder to get such features on competing luxury marques.
Old 09-23-06, 02:27 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yaro1
I really like wood steering wheels because of the aesthetics. It is right below your sight when driving (if it is on the top of the wheel), so you probably see that more than anything else when driving.

It's just really luxurious looking to me. I'm a little sad it isn't an option on the IS, but oh well.

Compare:

The IS looks sportier but the GX w/ wood wheel looks more luxurious. The wood on my GX is so awesome; the grain is so deep...

However, it might just be personal preference. You might not like the look of wood, and thats cool You could always get this instead of wood on a GX:

That last one still has dark wood on the steering wheel
Old 09-23-06, 10:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to me it's completely cosmetic and just a general perception of luxury and class. i don't see how they serve any purpose just like the other wood trims. but if that's what you get on a luxury car, fine with me