LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Back Seat Schmack Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 03:01 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Seat Schmack Seat

Why all of this attention to the BACK SEAT customers all of a sudden from Lexus? What attention? 1) They are manufacturing a long wheel base vehicle. No problem with that, but it caters exclusively to back seat passengers. I know, I know: they have to be competitive with other manufacturers. Fine. 2) The LS600h come EXCLUSIVELY to the US in a long wheel base form. An ENTIRE vehicle dedicated EXCLUSIVELY to back seat customers! Not fine. 3) Initial deliveries. THIRTY EIGHT percent of initial deliveries in the west are long wheel based cars. From ZERO in 2006 to THIRTY EIGHT in 2007. Quite a shift to back seaters. Oh, and if you want any of the following options on a short wheel base vehicle, you had better special order them, because they won’t be available except on, yep, the long wheel based car: air suspension, premium luxury, ML with hard drive, Lexus link, advanced parking, pre collision, dynamic cruise control, touring package. Sure you can special order them, but don’t expect delivery this year. I could go on and on.

So why this sudden shift to the BACK SEAT? Huh? I don’t get it. Lexus is abandoning its classic customer base for the back seat crowd.

Hey, I’m a typical classic Lexus customer: retired, affluent, previous MULTIPLE-Lexus owner, interested in luxury, comfort and safety technology, TWO of us in the household…and all of a sudden I am upstaged by BACK SEAT customers.

You explain it to me. I don’t get it.
Old 09-22-06, 03:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My impression is that the 'back seat' emphasis really came into being with the LS 430...in the introductory video at NAIAS for the LS 430 in 2000, Mr. Lexus said:

"With the new LS, it's never been more inviting to sit in the rear compartment..."

The Ultra Luxury selection on the LS 430, with the rear cool box, aft audio controls, power reclining and massaging seats, etc. were part of an emphasis on the rear seat luxury element. And considering how the LS is known for its luxurious accoutrements and smooth ride, these elements went hand in hand.

So the LWB introduction on the LS 460 is rather an expansion of the UL motif, except now the UL car comes in a longer wheelbase, and the RSES, tray table, etc etc are meant to expand that. So the expansion to LWB sales really comes from the market for the UL selection LS vehicles...and similar upgrade packages.

Even in our LS 430, already there is a fight over who gets to sit in the rear seat, because its so relaxing back there. Even Edmunds had a review where when parked, staff members would take turns relaxing in the back seat of the LS 430.

Now don't get me wrong, the front seats are great too, it's just that the back seat is the perfect place to completely relax and tune out the world.

I realize it's hard to get a SWB loaded up with all the gadgets here in the US (not so hard in Europe and Japan), maybe it's because they assume that the US market wants the LWB with all the gadgets--early indications are that the LWB model and its special exclusive features are in high demand, just like the UL selection was back at the 3 LS introduction.

I kinda wish the SWB version came with everything too, as that seems to me to be more of a direct heir to the LS 430 tradition. But apparently the rear seat room on the LS 460 SWB is less than the 430, so the 460 L is the way to go if you want all that legroom. Otherwise though, the SWB 460 seems very nice already...hopefully the US version, custom ordered, will arrive like this:

Old 09-22-06, 03:42 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

I'm not sure I understand all of enigma888's reply above, but I still feel that Lexus is abandoning its classical market: short wheel base in the US. Not Canada, not Europe, certainly not Japan. I don't mind the EXTENSION of their market. Hey, thats what business is all about. However, why do it by EXCLUDING options, packages, features, etc. from the SWB US marketplace? I don't mind expansion; I just don't want to be caught in the CONTRACTION part of it, and I feel I have been.

I very much want to be a Lexus LS customer. I have made TWO deposits on Lexus LS cars way back in April, 2006. I love the cars; I thought I loved the company. But Lexus is making it very difficult!
Old 09-22-06, 03:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your point is very valid, I agree in large part. IMO, the LS 460 SWB should have most if not all the LS 430 features and options.
Old 09-22-06, 04:35 PM
Car Nut
Driver

As I drive my LS430 100% of the time, I have never been a passenger in the back seat. However, sometimes I sit in the back seat when the car is parked in my garage and it is a very relaxing place. I find the seats to be very comfortable. And I may listen to music or do a bit of detailing.

Sometimes I just admire the exquisite craftmanship of the car which is above and beyond what is expected in the industry, even at luxury car level, and perhaps many owners may not even appreciate.

When you sit behind the passenger seat, the view of the instrument panel and the dash is magnificient at night.

The new LS while not having the night light system of the S-class, has subdued ambient lighting that is very tastefully done as seen in one of the night time videos on this forum. And I am sure the interior lighting system can be customized to individual taste (up to a point, of course).

We will discover more about many featutures in the car very soon. For example I am curious about the air diffusers over the rear passegers.

So even though I never may ride in the back, I love having a car that is comfortable for my passengers. May be in November, I will get my wife to drive me around town in my new LS460!
Old 09-22-06, 09:28 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to hijack but Car Nut, can you forward me the link to the night videos? I haven't seen them.
Old 09-23-06, 04:31 AM
Car Nut
Driver

Default LS Night Shots

Originally Posted by Nextourer
sorry to hijack but Car Nut, can you forward me the link to the night videos? I haven't seen them.

The night shots are at the end of the clip. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-YiPldCSQM
Old 09-23-06, 09:21 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! We now return to regular programming.
Old 09-23-06, 09:35 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm glad that they are starting to introduce an aspect of the backseat passenger.
With time going by, the man who originally bought the LS400 is getting nearer and nearer to retirement and his son is about to take over the reins 100%. It just makes sense to move the boss to a more comfortable, more relaxed position and let the son drive.. no?
Old 09-23-06, 10:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

attention "shifted" the back seat? that's completely wrong imho. for all i care, lexus is just paying attention to the back seat in full force as well. me as a driver in the ls460 i still see a lot of improvement and added features, from comfort to techs to sound to nav. that's NOT something just for the rear passengers.

and it's just that with the long wheel base lexus can now pay attention to the rear "crowd" as well. nothing wrong with that