LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trunk Capacity is REALLY POOR in 460L with Rear Seat Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 11:13 AM
Mako88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
If you want a big trunk, don't get the rear seat upgrade package, think about how often you need to put a lot stuff in the trunk.
For me, it's not a big issue, we don't drive long distance to travel anymore, so even 12 cu.ft. is fine with us.
When we travel & need to go to the airport, no car would be good enough for the luggages anyway, we usually call a taxi van to take us to the airport.
We heard you the first time, and as others have already responded to your comments golf bags are a tremendous concern. If you can't get 3 in there, you're s.o.l. for my group, so it's an issue.

Can't imagine how microscopic the LS600's trunk is going to be...disappointing for sure.
Old 10-14-06, 11:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako88
We heard you the first time, and as others have already responded to your comments golf bags are a tremendous concern. If you can't get 3 in there, you're s.o.l. for my group, so it's an issue.
Wasn't aware I was responding in the same thread, as I got the new replies when I clicked & the same issue was raised in other threads, sorry if I sound repetitive.
Originally Posted by Mako88;
Can't imagine how microscopic the LS600's trunk is going to be...disappointing for sure.
Has anybody ever seen them open the trunk of LS600hL in the autoshows ?
Old 10-15-06, 06:25 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

the trunk space is noticeably smaller, its 2/3 the size of the no rear-air model. not nearly as deep, but still has room enough for at least 2 full sized golf bags in my estimation
Old 10-15-06, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it is really not that stupid.

a. If it is company car to drive executives then all you need is trunk for 1 or 2 people at maximum, but on the other hand, you need maximum luxury at back.

b. If it is personal car, then you would be driving it and hence you dont need to pay extra for executive package, you will get space for 5 people and much larger trunk.
Old 10-15-06, 03:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

and in fact, the way lexus site shows me the options, thats exactly what they thought as well.

It seems very unreasonable to spend extra 8k on that package, if your kids are going to be riding there... love my kid, but no need to pamper him THAT much.
Old 10-15-06, 03:35 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

I would go with a SUV if I need space... or even a pickup!
Old 10-15-06, 06:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is really not that stupid.

a. If it is company car to drive executives then all you need is trunk for 1 or 2 people at maximum, but on the other hand, you need maximum luxury at back.

b. If it is personal car, then you would be driving it and hence you dont need to pay extra for executive package, you will get space for 5 people and much larger trunk.
But if 2 executives are going to the airport for an overseas trip for example, they may well have more luggage than can fit in that wimpy trunk. So then a suitcase or other bags have to go in the front or passenger space.
Old 10-16-06, 08:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But if 2 executives are going to the airport for an overseas trip for example, they may well have more luggage than can fit in that wimpy trunk. So then a suitcase or other bags have to go in the front or passenger space.
if two exectuives are going to airport, then you wont be able to fit their stuff into standard 460 either...

Question is if extra luxury of separate fridge and AC is worth it or not...
Old 10-16-06, 09:22 PM
brt3
Driver

Default Trunk space: to each his own...

I DO consider the small trunk a serious flaw on this car compared to the competition. I am first on the list at our local dealer, just saw our car (460L, silver, grey leather, black wood, rear seat package), and the small trunk is the ONLY fault I can find with the design. The fact is, most of the German sedans offer most of the same features without compromising trunk size. My parents will DIE laughing (figuratively speaking, of course!) when I let them know I can't pick them up at the airport because of the Civic-sized trunk.

Despite that flaw, I am still picking up the car this Friday...
Old 10-17-06, 01:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nhey
Did you see the trunk in the L? Did it look very small?
put it this way. it's definitely not LS big anymore, it's probably even smaller than my gs, but i wouldn't really call it small. what's small? my sc430 trunk is small. and the gs450h trunk is stupidly small.

the LS with the rear seat upgrade, while the trunk is indeed a bit disappointing, but since i figured i can still fit a large luggage and at least 2 extra small ones, i am ok with it.

in terms of usage, if we really get the LS, we wil most likely get a van or suv anyway, so space won't be that big of an issue. as long as i can drive the LS to airport and pick up some people with reasonable package that's fine with me. more than that, i will use the van/suv.

not like my sc430 or a gs450h, driving that to airport to pick up people is like telling them "sorry bud, you are not welcome"
Old 10-17-06, 03:04 AM
nhey
Rookie

Originally Posted by brt3
I DO consider the small trunk a serious flaw on this car compared to the competition. I am first on the list at our local dealer, just saw our car (460L, silver, grey leather, black wood, rear seat package), and the small trunk is the ONLY fault I can find with the design. The fact is, most of the German sedans offer most of the same features without compromising trunk size. My parents will DIE laughing (figuratively speaking, of course!) when I let them know I can't pick them up at the airport because of the Civic-sized trunk.

Despite that flaw, I am still picking up the car this Friday...
Please post a few photos of the 460L trunk with a couple pieces of luggage in it so we can all get a sense of how big or small it is. THANKS!!!
Old 10-17-06, 09:37 AM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by nhey
Please post a few photos of the 460L trunk with a couple pieces of luggage in it so we can all get a sense of how big or small it is. THANKS!!!
Will do; the trunk does look golfer-friendly, but I don't think it's gonna hold more than a couple of medium-sized suitcases. Wonder if Lexus will offer a trailer hitch install so we can pull our luggage behind...
Old 10-17-06, 06:56 PM
cowdung
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If they are REAL executives for a REAL company, they would not be travelling in any lexus, they would be in a Limousine or a continental.