LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So the 4.6L is "all new" - literally or just a major refresh?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 12:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So the 4.6L is "all new" - literally or just a major refresh?

Anyone have any side by rough blueprints or pictures of the new 4.6L? Is it actually the first full redesign of the motor since the 1990 model year 4.0L UZ V8? I know it's all aluminum block and heads now but how much of what 'just worked' in the old V8 is still found in this new one?

And of greater interest to me is did they make the damn thing any easier to work on? I sold my 99 GS400 to my friend who thinks the starter may be on its way out (at a little under 90k miles). The placement of the starter deep inside the motor under the upper and lower manifolds make absolutely NO sense to me and seems like something they did just because the designers backed themselves into a corner and couldn't think of any other way to integrate it.

The timing belt and water pump change could be an easier procedure as well.

I'm really just hoping that this new V8 fixed some of those oversites and didn't add any more of its own. One of the Lexus benefits has historically been that they're not only more reliable than the competition, but when they do break, they're not too awfully difficult to fix and maintain. But man that's sure not the case with this starter.

I figured Lexus would only refine and fix maintenance issues over the years and make their cars even more affordable to own over the years - but I read about IS350s and GS430s having their brake pads completely gone in 15k miles - 20k tops?? That's ridiculous, performance pads or not. Then tires that only last 15k miles? Seems like packward progress in the name of trying to compete with BMW and Audi - a mistake IMO. They're the #1 selling brand in north america because they did things their way - made the average middle upper class joe not so afraid to buy a lux car - they proved that lux cars don't have to be less reliable than regular cars, they can be MORE reliable and even better put together.
Old 10-13-06, 01:31 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The LS460 is a totally new car from the ground up...

Originally Posted by Threxx
Anyone have any side by rough blueprints or pictures of the new 4.6L? Is it actually the first full redesign of the motor since the 1990 model year 4.0L UZ V8? I know it's all aluminum block and heads now but how much of what 'just worked' in the old V8 is still found in this new one?

And of greater interest to me is did they make the damn thing any easier to work on? I sold my 99 GS400 to my friend who thinks the starter may be on its way out (at a little under 90k miles). The placement of the starter deep inside the motor under the upper and lower manifolds make absolutely NO sense to me and seems like something they did just because the designers backed themselves into a corner and couldn't think of any other way to integrate it.

The timing belt and water pump change could be an easier procedure as well.

I'm really just hoping that this new V8 fixed some of those oversites and didn't add any more of its own. One of the Lexus benefits has historically been that they're not only more reliable than the competition, but when they do break, they're not too awfully difficult to fix and maintain. But man that's sure not the case with this starter.

I figured Lexus would only refine and fix maintenance issues over the years and make their cars even more affordable to own over the years - but I read about IS350s and GS430s having their brake pads completely gone in 15k miles - 20k tops?? That's ridiculous, performance pads or not. Then tires that only last 15k miles? Seems like packward progress in the name of trying to compete with BMW and Audi - a mistake IMO. They're the #1 selling brand in north america because they did things their way - made the average middle upper class joe not so afraid to buy a lux car - they proved that lux cars don't have to be less reliable than regular cars, they can be MORE reliable and even better put together.
The engine block and head are completely next generation. Aluminum block and Magnesium cylinder head. The oil change will be more expensive as it uses 9 quarts of 0W20. The use of timing chains has eliminated the timing belt replacement. The new 8 speed transmission does not require periodic fluid changes but I would probably do it anyway. Sames goes for the coolant. The modest increase in displacement of .3 Liter returns an increase of 102 HP.
The head design is cutting edge and it uses electric motors to vary the cam angle with and increase in the range of variance. It uses a combination of port and direct (1800 PSI) injection to give this added performance and lower emissions. There is no power steering load on the accessory belt because the assist is now done with a permanent magnet electric motor. The brake pads on the touring package are the high friction type used on the GS450 and IS350 but not many will be produced that way. Unless you have the specialized tools I do not think it will be easier to work on but it will require less maintenance.

Rock
Old 10-13-06, 02:02 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rockville
The engine block and head are completely next generation. Aluminum block and Magnesium cylinder head. The oil change will be more expensive as it uses 9 quarts of 0W20. The use of timing chains has eliminated the timing belt replacement. The new 8 speed transmission does not require periodic fluid changes but I would probably do it anyway. Sames goes for the coolant. The modest increase in displacement of .3 Liter returns an increase of 102 HP.
The head design is cutting edge and it uses electric motors to vary the cam angle with and increase in the range of variance. It uses a combination of port and direct (1800 PSI) injection to give this added performance and lower emissions. There is no power steering load on the accessory belt because the assist is now done with a permanent magnet electric motor. The brake pads on the touring package are the high friction type used on the GS450 and IS350 but not many will be produced that way. Unless you have the specialized tools I do not think it will be easier to work on but it will require less maintenance.

Rock
Thanks for the info - I guess you aren't aware of if the starter was moved? So it's using a timing chain but what about the waterpump? My 95 Maxima used a chain and I always wondered why a lexus wouldn't do the same - I was told because it was noisey but if so why did they go with it this time around? Found a way to reduce the noise from the chain?

Our 05 4runner's trans fluid is "lifetime" as well... kinda neat but still seems weird to me like I don't trust it. There isn't even a dip stick in the engine bay to check it. I think we are supposed replace the coolant but not until 120k miles or something like that?
Old 10-13-06, 05:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Thanks for the info - I guess you aren't aware of if the starter was moved? So it's using a timing chain but what about the waterpump? My 95 Maxima used a chain and I always wondered why a lexus wouldn't do the same - I was told because it was noisey but if so why did they go with it this time around? Found a way to reduce the noise from the chain?

Our 05 4runner's trans fluid is "lifetime" as well... kinda neat but still seems weird to me like I don't trust it. There isn't even a dip stick in the engine bay to check it. I think we are supposed replace the coolant but not until 120k miles or something like that?
For the newer Toyota/Lexus vehicles, they have been using a longer lasting Factory Red Coolant. The newer formulation allows for the fluid to go at longer intervals than previous. I still like to change mine out on a regular conventional interval.

As for the IS350/GS430 owners going through brakes, that is normal of any higher performance model of course. Majority who are posting their experiences are probably only driving short distances and or hard at the same time. I like to think I have defied the odds with my 2004 IS300. The book says expect only 15k with the Summer only Potenza RE040's that came stock on my car. I got them to last close to 30k. Same with my brakes, because I don't drive my car hard and I drove long distance despite the heavy SoCal traffic we have, my rear pads went first at 70k and my front pads lasted to an unheard of 90k miles. It all depends on driving habits. I do drive my car hard occassionally but majority of the wear and tear comes from short distance daily commuting.
Old 07-23-08, 07:51 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

The new formulated coolant is PINK instead of RED to have a distinction. All old vehicles use the red stuff. I do not know if the pink will interchange with the old red, but I think not. I certainly won't do it. I'm staying with the old tried and true.

I am doing my water pump and timing belt soon as I have 180,000 miles right now. I did it the first time at 90,275. The belt looked good, but was not worth the problem of running it longer. The first 90,000 miles came in almost 7 years. I did the 2nd 90,000 miles in 3 years. The car will be 10 years old in December, 2008 but it is a 1999.

It is still a great car. I recommend coolant change between 60 and 90,000 miles.
Old 07-23-08, 08:31 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the tire wear thing. That 15,000 mile story has been around awhile, but my LS (with the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires) has almost 11,000 on it and the tread is hardly worn. If that were true, I'd be looking at wear bars by now.

In spite of some feathering on the fronts (which an alignment didn't resolve), I figure they should go for 30,000 at least.

Old 07-25-08, 02:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is definitely an all-new engine for the LS 460:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/090601.html

Because this is not just another vehicle, but arguably the true successor to the first Lexus, the LS 400, the engineering development team set about in earnest to create a vehicle that would be to the LS 400 what the LS 400 was when it appeared: something extraordinary. So, for example, they developed an entirely new engine family for the car, the 1UR-FSE: the LS models between the LS 400 and the LS 460 had a variation of the UZ engine, which was developed for the first Lexus. This engine is a 4.6-liter, 32-valve, DOHC V8 that provides 380 hp @ 6,400 rpm, which is 102 hp more than is produced in the '06 LS 430. It produces 367 lb-ft of torque at 4,100 rpm, which is 55 lb-ft more than the previous generation. It has an aluminum block, aluminum head, and magnesium cylinder head covers. It features dual injectors per cylinder: direct and port injection for each cylinder to assure that there is the appropriate performance under a number of conditions, be it full load or start up. There's an electrically controlled valve timing system: an electric drive unit (EDU), which consists of a DC motor driver, motor speed controller, and diagnosis output provides input to the brushless DC motor; it controls the intake cam timing rather than the conventional hydraulic control valve. All of this is said to improve engine performance. The camshafts consist of a hollow tube onto which forged lobes are pressed on (the tube is nitrogen cooled and the lobes are heated for this assembly). There's 30° crosshatching of the inside of the cylinders; mirror polishing of the piston pins and crankshaft.

Pics:

There was also some analysis done here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=239528
Old 07-25-08, 03:12 PM
LEX75110
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter location

Looking at the above thread and studying the photos of the engine it appears that there is a location on the right side of the engine ( hole in casting )that could support a starter. Also if you look at the rear view of the engine there is no notiable sign of a starter in the old location, ( its hard to see ) but a hole in the block where a starter might fit on the right side.

RT