LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L or BMW 750IL?? HELP ME - I cant decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
But let's be honest, who's going to drive these cars in that fashion?
Of all my reading -- people go upto around the E55/M5 level and then stop. No one buys a LS, 7er, or S to throw them around.
lol, i never said the 7 is a good car anyway

a car of this size and its purpose, i want it to be comfortable and quiet, not stiff and harsh
Old 11-06-06, 05:54 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vraa
But let's be honest, who's going to drive these cars in that fashion?
Of all my reading -- people go upto around the E55/M5 level and then stop. No one buys a LS, 7er, or S to throw them around.
I would. Some people want a car to do almost everything, including feeling in control. If I had to avoid something or someone to avoid an accident, i would choose the BMW.

If i were leasing any of these cars I would lease the BMW. If i were buying AND keeping the car i would get the LS.

Last edited by omarg; 11-06-06 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-06-06, 09:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
If i were leasing any of these cars I would lease the BMW. If i were buying AND keeping the car i would get the LS.
Very interesting point. I wonder what % of new car 'sales' are lease vs. purchase. Too bad the sales numbers are not broken down that way. I'd expect more Lexus people buy and hold, vs. MB/BMW lease, keep for 3 years, and move up.
Old 11-06-06, 09:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Very interesting point. I wonder what % of new car 'sales' are lease vs. purchase. Too bad the sales numbers are not broken down that way. I'd expect more Lexus people buy and hold, vs. MB/BMW lease, keep for 3 years, and move up.
One of my relatives is fairly well off (all his brothers as well) and in the last couple of years have always bought their cars outright (never leased them).

The cars have been
BMW E39 M5
Previous gen MB S500
Lexus IS 250 AWD
Previous gen MB S320
Audi A8 (latest model)
Nissan Titan (last year model)
BMW 750 (previous gen)
Mazda RX-8
Old 11-06-06, 10:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
One of my relatives is fairly well off (all his brothers as well) and in the last couple of years have always bought their cars outright (never leased them).

The cars have been
BMW E39 M5
Previous gen MB S500
Lexus IS 250 AWD
Previous gen MB S320
Audi A8 (latest model)
Nissan Titan (last year model)
BMW 750 (previous gen)
Mazda RX-8
I don't know if they're self-employed or have any tax benefit there in Canada from leasing.
Old 11-06-06, 11:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't know if they're self-employed or have any tax benefit there in Canada from leasing.
They are self-employed, but just prefer to own rather than lease.

There is a benefit to leasing, however there is an even greater benefit to just declaring mileage used for business purposes.
Old 10-10-12, 02:20 PM
otocantu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BMW is a better ride for someone who want to feel and enjoy to drive a car. The Lexus rides like a boat.
Old 10-10-12, 02:23 PM
otocantu
Driver School Candidate

I unfortunately bought the LS460L all loaded. I have the sport v. comfortable and the normal v. power buttons on the center console.

I do not notice any difference between the settings.

The ride is very bouncy like on a boat and not sport at all.

The nav system does not work while you drive.

The car hesitates when you accelerate about 2 seconds.

The car came with Bridgestone tires, they are a piece of garbage, made so much noise and had no traction. I had to change them to Michelin.

I took the car back to return it, but the dealer did not want to give me my money back...

Anyone has any ideas why the buttons do not change the ride or the acceleration, or why it hesitates when you try to accelerate quickly? and emphasize try, because the car hesitates about 2 seconds...

I have it in storage and use my BMW 760Li.

Never a Lexus piece of CRAP!!!
Old 10-10-12, 02:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sorry to hear about your issues.

the accelerate lag is just a lexus thing. the ecu is not tuned aggressively. nothing you can change

for the normal vs power button, the power button will keep the rpm a bit higher before it shifts into next year. so it's a bit more aggressive. but it's subtle, not drastic difference. and the car doesn't get "more" power

for the sport vs comfortable, it changes the dampening of the shocks ever so lightly. most people say they cant' feel it, but there is change. though i say you have to go on very uneven road to feel. again it's very slight change
Old 10-10-12, 03:35 PM
sholaesq
Rookie

Originally Posted by otocantu
I unfortunately bought the LS460L all loaded. I have the sport v. comfortable and the normal v. power buttons on the center console.

I do not notice any difference between the settings.

The ride is very bouncy like on a boat and not sport at all.

The nav system does not work while you drive.

The car hesitates when you accelerate about 2 seconds.

The car came with Bridgestone tires, they are a piece of garbage, made so much noise and had no traction. I had to change them to Michelin.

I took the car back to return it, but the dealer did not want to give me my money back...

Anyone has any ideas why the buttons do not change the ride or the acceleration, or why it hesitates when you try to accelerate quickly? and emphasize try, because the car hesitates about 2 seconds...

I have it in storage and use my BMW 760Li.

Never a Lexus piece of CRAP!!!
Wow, sorry to hear that. The BMW is less reliable but a blast to drive all the time.
Old 10-10-12, 05:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

Did you even test drive it before you bought it? Some of the issues you are pointing out you should have noticed from a good long test drive especially if you have a BMW to compare it to.
Old 10-10-12, 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Complaining that an LS460L is "not sport at all" is like complaining that your chicken tastes like chicken and not fish.

Absolutely 100% bought the wrong car.
Old 10-10-12, 07:19 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. Way to drag out an ancient thread. FWIW, I just traded in my 2008 BMW 750Li into my 2009 LS460 and could not be happier. My Lexus' ride is just fine and I do not think that the BMW's flagship offers that much more "performance" than my LS. Of course I did not have the sport package, but did have active cruise, rear entertainment system, and pretty much every other option on the book. The MSRP was over 98000.00 in 2008.

At 65K miles, the car started the nightmarish slam into 3rd gear from 2nd about a month ago and it just got worse from there.
I was lucky. I got what I wanted in the trade and gave them the car. It was in such great condition that the sales
manager just drove it around the building on to their sales floor!
Old 10-10-12, 08:15 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it true that the i in 750iL stands for injection? If so, that's kinda stupid since practically no car has been available without injection in about 20+ years....
Old 10-10-12, 08:29 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

personally not to bash the bimmer I wanted one, my sister has one but anybody can get a used 7 series S class no so much and you need a little bit more money to cop a flagship lex. I see 7's alllll day 460's not so much. either way you should done your homework lexus offers something a little different then maybe what you were looking for.

Quick Reply: LS460L or BMW 750IL?? HELP ME - I cant decide!