LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 rims question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 05:11 PM
LexFather

In reading threads and doing some talking who were the )#($()#( geniuses at Lexus to make modding the wheels so damn tough initially?

Here is a car people are WANTING to MOD and here is Lexus making things tough??

The 7 and S class were out 1 day and people have them modded already, clearly starting with wheels.

This is a car that can give Lexus much exposure, so I PRAY companies can figure out this wheel upgrade thing..

IMO, RIDICULOUS.
Old 11-06-06, 08:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
ok just went to lexus.com

stock is 235/50/18

so 245/50/18 and 275/45/18 is pretty much the same
Nearly 8mm diff. in circumference (only 0.3% difference)
But 275/45-18 is 1.8% (39mm) bigger in circumference than the stock 235/50-18.

that means for 19s it would be 245/45/19 and 275/40/19,
Those 2 sizes are almost identical. Although 1.5% bigger than stock.

Oh and here's a link to my online size calc. http://higginbottom.com/paul/cars/wheelcalc.php
Old 11-06-06, 09:05 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In reading threads and doing some talking who were the )#($()#( geniuses at Lexus to make modding the wheels so damn tough initially?

The 7 and S class were out 1 day and people have them modded already, clearly starting with wheels.

This is a car that can give Lexus much exposure, so I PRAY companies can figure out this wheel upgrade thing..

IMO, RIDICULOUS.
I think the issue is with substandard aftermarket manufacturers and hamfisted shops just stuffing anything round and shiny on the cars. From what I understand alot of dealers were getting customers in with all types of issues stemming from the use of spacers (especially with the LS400/LS430 calipers), rubbing due to improper wheel specs yadda yadda.

Most of the pre-modded BMW and MB cars were from BRABUS / HAMANN / etc etc which is different from a 1599.00 20" chrome special from Rays House O' Dubs!! lol

As I stated previously the fitment is all ready to go from several custom wheel manufacturers unfortunately none of them have 1599 specials running so thats what it really comes down to, paying the price to get the 100% correct product!
Old 11-07-06, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

IMO, RIDICULOUS.
like maybe less than 1% of the whole ls460 population? lexus can care less man, seriously

i think it probably has to do with the gemetry and what's best for the car in terms of handling and ride?
Old 11-08-06, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I think the issue is with substandard aftermarket manufacturers and hamfisted shops just stuffing anything round and shiny on the cars. From what I understand alot of dealers were getting customers in with all types of issues stemming from the use of spacers (especially with the LS400/LS430 calipers), rubbing due to improper wheel specs yadda yadda.

Most of the pre-modded BMW and MB cars were from BRABUS / HAMANN / etc etc which is different from a 1599.00 20" chrome special from Rays House O' Dubs!! lol

As I stated previously the fitment is all ready to go from several custom wheel manufacturers unfortunately none of them have 1599 specials running so thats what it really comes down to, paying the price to get the 100% correct product!
Thanks D, that makes sense.

Henry, I see what you are saying. IMO though, Lexus has to WANT that 1% as well. I understand they are #1 in sales here but they still are kind of blind to 1% people like us.
Thus we have to get parts shipped from Japan to get our Lexus how we truly want them.

Moot issue though. Lexus for Life.
Old 11-08-06, 09:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Henry, I see what you are saying. IMO though, Lexus has to WANT that 1% as well. I understand they are #1 in sales here but they still are kind of blind to 1% people like us.
Thus we have to get parts shipped from Japan to get our Lexus how we truly want them.

lol, mike, you know i am with you! i am hoping that they are entering the performance division now with the GS and IS, they can start incorporating better design from that perspective too!
Old 11-08-06, 04:00 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

like maybe less than 1% of the whole ls460 population? lexus can care less man, seriously

i think it probably has to do with the gemetry and what's best for the car in terms of handling and ride?
Actually, the Lexus USA folks have admitted "in a perect world, nobody would change the stock wheels on our cars. Unfortunately, we know they will want to, so we must find out what works and what doesn't..." They have been surprisingly interested in learning more about what the fitment issues on the new LS are... it turns out some of the reported "issues" are really not issues after all.

We're building 20x8.5 + 20x10 wheels for Lexus USA to evaluate for fitment, ride, and functionality of the self-parking & radar cruise systems. Yokohama is furnishing their Advan Sport tires (245/40-20 front & 275/35-20 rear) for this... wheels will be on the car in a week; we'll be sure to get photos and their feedback on the wheel/tire system ASAP.
Old 11-09-06, 08:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Actually, the Lexus USA folks have admitted "in a perect world, nobody would change the stock wheels on our cars. Unfortunately, we know they will want to, so we must find out what works and what doesn't..." They have been surprisingly interested in learning more about what the fitment issues on the new LS are... it turns out some of the reported "issues" are really not issues after all.

We're building 20x8.5 + 20x10 wheels for Lexus USA to evaluate for fitment, ride, and functionality of the self-parking & radar cruise systems. Yokohama is furnishing their Advan Sport tires (245/40-20 front & 275/35-20 rear) for this... wheels will be on the car in a week; we'll be sure to get photos and their feedback on the wheel/tire system ASAP.
Old 11-10-06, 01:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh boy, bob, PLEASE make next week comes faster!!!!!!!! i can't wait to see it!!!!!

so are you implying that the 19s, while they say they won't fit, the wheels in fact fit no problem?

also i am curious why you guys start with only 8.5 and 10? wouldn't you want to start with a wider one (coz' you can always go narrower)?
Old 11-10-06, 04:38 AM
DKNY
Rookie

are you doing this test to swb or lwb LS or both?
Old 11-10-06, 10:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

also i am curious why you guys start with only 8.5 and 10? wouldn't you want to start with a wider one (coz' you can always go narrower)?

Its because of ultra conservative Lexus reps. I believe they had to be severly PUSHED just to get up to 20"!!
Old 11-10-06, 10:31 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Yeah I hear you 100%. I guess the tough thing about Lexus is they dont really have any dedicated performance customers for its brand new cars. Look at it this way, a person that buys a e63 can easily afford a s550, however performance is of such paramount concern that they choose the "downmarket" car with the improved performance. I guess Lexus (at least brand new ones) doesn't have that type of buyer. Just look at what happened to L-SPORTLINE!

It really does suck too man, because Lexus has a untapped resource on its hands, I guess we need more Lexus guys stepping up to the plate at the dealership! My GS400 used to knock the socks off LOTS of people because they didnt believe "they even made Lexus' that fast!!" LOL

Hopefully we can move some ZONE wheels on these LS460's and get some proofsources going!
Old 11-12-06, 11:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Its because of ultra conservative Lexus reps. I believe they had to be severly PUSHED just to get up to 20"!!
true, i am not surprised.... it definitely took a lot of them to put on a package with 19s?
Old 11-15-06, 06:44 PM
hybrids14
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Correct rim and tire size for 20" and 22"?

Just want to confirm the correct rim/tire size since I'm taking delivery of a SWB Black/Black LS460 tomorrow. Since I'm out here in Taiwan they only have 60 LS460 and only 6 SWB cars available, and all are spoken for(still many on the waiting list.) I had to pull some strings to take delivery by Friday, otherwise I won't receive the car until next shipment which is end of Feb. 2007. Very rare car therefore I'm not sure if I have the correct rim/tire size. Also purchasing rims/tires from Japan and Stateside is out of the question because of the high tax rate and shipping here. This country seriously sucks!!! Just want to confirm the Rim/Tire size so I can make some forging company to make the correct wheels for me. Are the below fitment correct?

PCD 120MM

20"

Front 20X9 245/40/20 Offset 33

Rear 20x10 275/35/20 Offset 35

22"

Front: 22x9 245/30/22 Offset 33

Rear 22x10 295/25/22 Offset 35

Thanks
Old 11-17-06, 10:59 PM
hybrids14
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody knows? I'll be taking the LS460 SWB model to my rim store to try to figure it out. Also my brother is getting a LS460L on Wednesday to see if there's any difference. Both of us got the Air-suspension.

Quick Reply: LS460 rims question