LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Advanced Parking system reviewed on ABC News New York

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 02:46 AM
nhey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Parking system reviewed on ABC News New York

Channel 7 (ABC) in NY had a story on the 11:00 p.m. news Wednesday night this week about the advance parking guidance system. They had a woman reporter attempt to parallel park in NY city. She said it took her a couple of passes before the parking "box" turned green rather than red (don't know why...) and allowed her to try it. She was then able to parallel park but she forgot to press the brake to stop the car from slightly touching the bumper of the car behind her and she lightly tapped it. No damage, but points out that you need to stop the car yourself or it will hit the car behind you. It would seem to me that version 2.0 in future years will coordinate the park assist feature with braking and stop the car itself when it gets too close to the car behind you when parallel parking with the advanced parking system.
Old 10-27-06, 04:29 AM
DKNY
Rookie

they make the feature more towards for women (since they cant park for *****) and they still screw it up.
Old 10-27-06, 08:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

If this feature allows you to HIT the car behind then it's a lawsuit waiting to happen - I don't care what the manual says.
Old 10-27-06, 08:15 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by DKNY
they make the feature more towards for women (since they cant park for *****) and they still screw it up.
Hahahaha.

However, without women I wouldn't be able to feed myself no matter how many cooking classes I've taken
Old 10-27-06, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If this feature allows you to HIT the car behind then it's a lawsuit waiting to happen - I don't care what the manual says.
if people don't read the manual before they do stupid things, what can i say. it's like cars can go over 100mph, but doesn't mean you can do all that without getting tickets. lawsuits won't get them anything.

i am more interested in learning how she got all the red boxes in the beginning. was it because of where she initially stopped her car, the space available, etc...
Old 10-27-06, 09:32 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Paul. This feature, although kind of cool in theory, is pretty gimmicky and is a lawsuit waiting to happen. It either needs to be fool proof or don't do it.
Old 10-27-06, 11:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm, I have to test this system to find out. I was under the impression that it lets you relax more by taking over the steering while you just do a little brake work. Of course the tester didn't properly use the brake.

One thing I noticed is that the system relies on the two front fender sensors, I would think they would tie it all in with the sonar...

When I saw the system, the Intuitive Parking Assist also beeps warnings and appears on the NAVI screen. IMO the tester did not pay attention, as the rear bumper contact would have issued an audiovisual warning (at least visual).
Old 10-27-06, 01:22 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Just another very silly gimmick in a long line of Lexus promoted silly gimmicks. It's really too bad that Lexus doesn't put more of its money (they have plenty being backed up by Toyota) and engineering prowess into designing a car with a proper linkage between the transmission and engine, where the car accelerates IMMEDIATELY and IN A LINEAR FASHION to input from the accelerator. As it is, you push down on the accelerator and you're never sure if you're going to get nothing or a huge burst of power. For comparison sake, drive a BMW 750i or a M-B S550 and tell me what you feel. Nothing but a total harmony between gas pedal, engine speed and transmission. Totally absent in the Lexus, I'm afraid.

And the Lexus 'brake by wire' system is simply dreadful. "Hard to modulate" and "grabby" are just a couple of the descripors that come to mind in describing Lexus brakes.

Gimmicks are nice, but first and foremost a car has to accelerate and stop with predictability and assurance. Here, the German offerings shame the Lexus.

Too bad too, because Lexus does some things very well (overall quality control, NAV systems, electronick gimmicks, ride quality).
Old 10-28-06, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if people don't read the manual before they do stupid things, what can i say. it's like cars can go over 100mph, but doesn't mean you can do all that without getting tickets. lawsuits won't get them anything.
I agree that people will do stupid things but I (and you) know people don't read manuals for one thing and even if they do, this car has so much 'smarts' surely it could brake by itself to avoid a collision at 2.5mph or less!?

I agree people should be able to use the brakes as the system requires, but this operation is more like a tango between the driver and the car than a real convenience.

Oh and anyone who can't parallel park shouldn't be driving.
Old 10-28-06, 08:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what ever happened to proper driving lessons and not "this is what you need to know to pass the test"???
Old 10-28-06, 08:41 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
what ever happened to proper driving lessons and not "this is what you need to know to pass the test"???
You don't need to know how to drive to get a license in America.
Old 10-28-06, 09:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL. funny
Old 10-29-06, 06:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im sure the system was designed to require some driver interaction for liability purposes, if it was fully automated and something bunked up, thats deep trouble, but if the operator doesnt read the manual how to operate it and something messes up, then its their fault
Old 10-29-06, 10:43 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

it was also on in LA this morning
Old 10-29-06, 12:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I agree that people will do stupid things but I (and you) know people don't read manuals for one thing and even if they do, this car has so much 'smarts' surely it could brake by itself to avoid a collision at 2.5mph or less!?

I agree people should be able to use the brakes as the system requires, but this operation is more like a tango between the driver and the car than a real convenience.

Oh and anyone who can't parallel park shouldn't be driving.
well actually if they release the brake, it shuts down. So it is somewhat fail safe. However, considering you are already driving the car, unability to press brake at crucial moment really means that you would have crashed a lot sooner than during parking :-).

Also, you DONT need to pass parallel parking test to get license, i know :-). I failed because mirrors on my 86 GTi were so small that I didnt see the test area at all. ha!

Quick Reply: Advanced Parking system reviewed on ABC News New York