LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So those who have driven an LS430 and LS460 - how much quieter is the LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 06:39 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghmundt
You guys who don't own a 460 yet have way too much time on your hands, playing with all the dB numbers from various magazines. Believe the 460 owners, it is a much quieter car, end of story. Go out and find another blog to pursue. No more analysis necessary, end of story.
Wow - what's your deal? It's not the end of story as soon as one person answers. If somebody has some car magazine dB numbers to add the the discussion, then that's great! I mean yeah they don't own/drive one or both of the vehicles in question, but at the same time, car and driver DID drive both of them, and with a dB-meter at that. That's pretty extensive!. Heck, it helps us potentially objectify just how quiet "much quieter" is. According to the mag that is 2.5 dB which is a respectable difference. It's more difference than there is between the GS450h and the LS430.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think it's every ten.
You are correct.
What the other poster might be thinking of with 3dB is how much gain in volume you will see with a doubling of wattage or double of the number of speakers present (at the same wattage per speaker)... which is not a doubling in volume - it's 3dB
Old 10-28-06, 07:55 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing with those numbers is weather or not the LS was equipped with the laminated windows or not. I know thats only available on the long wheelbase but it helps to reduce noise. And it was availalbe on the LS430 as well.
Old 10-28-06, 12:23 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speak softly and...

Originally Posted by Threxx
Wow - what's your deal? It's not the end of story as soon a...e per speaker)... which is not a doubling in volume - it's 3dB
380 horses and class leading quiteness can only mean one thing.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Old 10-28-06, 02:28 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
380 horses and class leading quiteness can only mean one thing.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Not really.
The S550 has 388hp.
Old 10-28-06, 02:37 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
Not really.
The S550 has 388hp.
I think all the new 5.5L Mercedes V8s have 382, including the S-class.

Then again the S-class starts at like 87k without a more impressive feature set than the Base LS460L has at 71k or so...

Load up the S550 and it gets WELL over 123k (this is still for the 550, not the 600 or AMG model) and still has lesser options and features than a fully loaded up LS460L @ 93k.
Old 10-28-06, 03:30 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
I think all the new 5.5L Mercedes V8s have 382, including the S-class.

Then again the S-class starts at like 87k without a more impressive feature set than the Base LS460L has at 71k or so...

Load up the S550 and it gets WELL over 123k (this is still for the 550, not the 600 or AMG model) and still has lesser options and features than a fully loaded up LS460L @ 93k.

The new LS is better than S-class irrespective of price. Both are ages ahead of 7-series despite new engines in 7-series last year.

460 is 120 lbs lighter, more agile, sexier looking, speaks softly and carriers the biggest stick of them all.

7-series hasn't even caught up with the original LS 400, one wonders if they will ever have an answer to this one.

Although you never know, the well-greased mags may distribute first prize to 750 from time to time.

Jaguar is of course in your nearest mechanic's shop. This time it has bladder problems. previously it was downright mental problems and insanity in its electronic soft-ware. Gorgeous does not care if there is fuel all over the floor. Gorgeous... Gorgeous...

Only S-class and Audi A8 are competitive.
Old 10-28-06, 04:01 PM
ghmundt
Driver

What you want to compare is torque which you feel more than horsepower. There the S550 beats the LS460 391 vs 367.
Old 10-28-06, 04:25 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
The new LS is better than S-class irrespective of price. Both are ages ahead of 7-series despite new engines in 7-series last year.

460 is 120 lbs lighter, more agile, sexier looking, speaks softly and carriers the biggest stick of them all.

7-series hasn't even caught up with the original LS 400, one wonders if they will ever have an answer to this one.

Although you never know, the well-greased mags may distribute first prize to 750 from time to time.

Only S-class and Audi A8 are competitive.
You sure hate the 7 and make no secret of this. Why do you despise it so much? Do you have a neighbor that you don't like that has one or something?

Of course I disagree with your comments on the 7. The 7 is a combination of sport and luxury (sport was intentionally written first). Put the 7 against the LS for performance and the 7 will win. Put the LS against the 7 for luxury and the LS will win. Also, the 7 is approaching a total redo and it will be an amazing car. You have to consider that these cars are not trying to be exactly like each other. They both do things very well and neither is entirely superior. This is why I can have both an LS460 and a 7 series and not feel like I have two of the exact same cars.
Old 10-28-06, 04:47 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Default let BMW learn how to make cars first

Originally Posted by luxury1
You sure hate the 7 and make no secret of this. Why do you despise it so much? Do you have a neighbor that you don't like that has one or something?...Put the 7 against the LS for performance and the 7 will win. ... You have to consider that these cars are not trying to be exactly like each other. They both do things very well and neither is entirely superior. ...
This handling aura around 7 is just the media perpetrated stereotypes and is a pure marketing gimmick. This gimmick has been thoroughly debunked by the handling prowess of the new LS.

The new LS can beat any flagship sedan on road and on track and this is as true as the sun rising from the east everyday. Read the recent automobile article by a trusted journalist and you will know. here is the proof:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...7_lexus_ls460/

Another article by world renowned journalist Paul Frere further debunks this BMW humbuggery. Here is the proof:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3902

You are right in pointing out that LS is not trying to be anybody. LS did not even try to make a sporty car and yet its handling has surpassed 7 with utmost ease.

I truly believe that the reason why Lexus is not building track ready performance LS is because they do not want BMW to go bankrupt. I meant financially bankrupt, BMW is already morally bankrupt. The success that BMW enjoys is pure marketing. The success that LS enjoys is based mostly on innovation and hardwork not gimmickery.

Anyhow, this thread is on quietness of LS and even in this department LS has soundly thrashed 7-series with ease. There are multiple reasons around the quiet superiority of 460.

1) Class leading low drag coefficient which BMW will never be able to accomplish.
2) World class suspension and insulation which BMW cannot even dream of.
3) Lightweight and ultrasmooth, low friction engine and gearbox, the like of which BMW is incapable of matching even by 2050.

Engineering is what makes LS so quiet and mystical. Let BMW learn how to pronounce "engineering" first and then we will talk further.

Last edited by Stevekil; 10-28-06 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-28-06, 04:57 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well your mind is made up so I am not going to refute the point. I am getting my LS in a few weeks and am going to be happy no matter what other cars are on the road and no matter what people think of mine. I am a very secure person and don't really care about thrashing other cars or the driving choices of others. I am especially tired of people telling me that I am getting an old persons car at 29 years old which some opinioned people consider the LS when they thrash it.

At the end of the day, if you like your car(s) then nothing else matters.
Old 10-28-06, 05:06 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Well your mind is made up so I am not going to refute the point. I am getting my LS in a few weeks and am going to be happy no matter what other cars are on the road and no matter what people think of mine. I am a very secure person and don't really care about thrashing other cars or the driving choices of others. I am especially tired of people telling me that I am getting an old persons car at 29 years old which some opinioned people consider the LS when they thrash it.

At the end of the day, if you like your car(s) then nothing else matters.
The media is too hostile to LS and too kind with 7-series. My goal is to provide more balance and bust the stereotype.
Frankly, we need more people with your attitude who are happy no matter what.

I am sure you will enjoy every moment in the new LS, its quietness, its handling, the power and the opulence
Old 10-28-06, 07:09 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

LOL. Okay buddy. It's one thing to say that the LS460 can put up a good battle versus the S550. The S550 may feel as if it's got more power, or a more solid feel, but I'm giving the final crown to the LS460. It's smoother and when you're buying a car in this class, you want smoothness.

But also a lot of the weight the LS460 has is the price (or lack of ). Once you start thinking about the S600,55,63,65 (you said irrespective of price) the LS gets it's butt handed to it, so does the LS600. Why would you buy those kind of cars unless you were looking for more than just smoothness?
Old 10-29-06, 11:41 AM
CV990
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scott rand
Drove my 430 over to pick up my 4.60 this morning....there is a significant difference in both noise level and smoothness of ride. Some of that is probably because I had the sport package on my 430. So far (20 miles) my impression of the car is that it feels much more solid in all respects. I am enjoying playing with all of the gadgets and figuring out the differences between the two cars. OBTW - I got a SWB with Nav/ML/CP.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay out the door?
Old 10-29-06, 12:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

You sure hate the 7 and make no secret of this. Why do you despise it so much? Do you have a neighbor that you don't like that has one or something?

Of course I disagree with your comments on the 7. The 7 is a combination of sport and luxury (sport was intentionally written first). Put the 7 against the LS for performance and the 7 will win. Put the LS against the 7 for luxury and the LS will win. Also, the 7 is approaching a total redo and it will be an amazing car. You have to consider that these cars are not trying to be exactly like each other. They both do things very well and neither is entirely superior. This is why I can have both an LS460 and a 7 series and not feel like I have two of the exact same cars.
well, he is correct statistically, 7 series is worst seller among them all in the USA, so overall, most buyers agree with him.

And S class has been beating 7 series forever in Europe as well...
Old 10-29-06, 12:14 PM
scott rand
Driver School Candidate

78,200 after title, tags, taxes.......
Attached Thumbnails So those who have driven an LS430 and LS460 - how much quieter is the LS460?-img_0112_edited.jpg  

Quick Reply: So those who have driven an LS430 and LS460 - how much quieter is the LS460?