LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So those who have driven an LS430 and LS460 - how much quieter is the LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 12:32 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beautiful, crisp, elegant...lovely setting too!
Old 10-29-06, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
This handling aura around 7 is just the media perpetrated stereotypes and is a pure marketing gimmick. This gimmick has been thoroughly debunked by the handling prowess of the new LS.

The new LS can beat any flagship sedan on road and on track and this is as true as the sun rising from the east everyday. Read the recent automobile article by a trusted journalist and you will know. here is the proof:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...7_lexus_ls460/
I just read that article and saw no 'proof' at all in there of the LS' superior handling to a 7 series. Have you driven a 7 series? I don't care for the interior (or exterior although the refresh helped) but dayum that thing handles impressively.

Another article by world renowned journalist Paul Frere further debunks this BMW humbuggery. Here is the proof:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3902
OK, just read that and this last part is very positive but surely no 'proof': "Before going to Austria, I had had a chance to drive a European-specification LS 460 with air suspension on a proving ground, where the car could be extended to the limits of its performance and handling potential. With comfort and quietness a high priority, this is certainly not the driving style normally adopted by a typical owner of this car. But even in such circumstances, the Lexus (with the dampers in the Sport position) behaved surprisingly well with good turn-in, very moderate understeer and little roll, while still providing a comfortable ride."

LS did not even try to make a sporty car and yet its handling has surpassed 7 with utmost ease.
What do you base this on? And do you work in marketing? "utmost ease" - lol

I truly believe that the reason why Lexus is not building track ready performance LS is because they do not want BMW to go bankrupt.
lmao - oh how kind of Lexus. You do know BMW is one of the most profitable care companies in the world, and I believe, also a private one?

I meant financially bankrupt, BMW is already morally bankrupt. The success that BMW enjoys is pure marketing. The success that LS enjoys is based mostly on innovation and hardwork not gimmickery.
BMW definitely has had good marketing, over several decades. But to imply their success is immoral of through gimmickry is laughable. You might as well say all car companies resort to gimmicks, which of course, is TRUE!

Engineering is what makes LS so quiet and mystical.
Mystical?! So is engineering applied science, or applied faith?

Let BMW learn how to pronounce "engineering" first and then we will talk further.
Yes, BMW knows nothing about engineering, including how to pronounce it.

Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, are all innovative in different ways.
Old 10-29-06, 08:30 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I j...
ways.
Thank you for the detailed and a tough defense in the service of the sultans of munchen.

However, the way Paul and cumberford wrote, it can mean only one thing. BMW is great in propaganda and lexus is great in innovation.

Thats why Lexus executives pointed out in the past that in order to be truly successful they must emulate BMW marketing tactics. Simply depending on innovation means using the sword but not the shield and the armor.

Lexus is gradually learning some of BMW tactics with benefit and there is still a long road ahead.
Old 10-29-06, 09:15 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

This handling aura around 7 is just the media perpetrated stereotypes and is a pure marketing gimmick. This gimmick has been thoroughly debunked by the handling prowess of the new LS.

The new LS can beat any flagship sedan on road and on track and this is as true as the sun rising from the east everyday. Read the recent automobile article by a trusted journalist and you will know. here is the proof:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...7_lexus_ls460/

Another article by world renowned journalist Paul Frere further debunks this BMW humbuggery. Here is the proof:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3902

You are right in pointing out that LS is not trying to be anybody. LS did not even try to make a sporty car and yet its handling has surpassed 7 with utmost ease.

I truly believe that the reason why Lexus is not building track ready performance LS is because they do not want BMW to go bankrupt. I meant financially bankrupt, BMW is already morally bankrupt. The success that BMW enjoys is pure marketing. The success that LS enjoys is based mostly on innovation and hardwork not gimmickery.

Anyhow, this thread is on quietness of LS and even in this department LS has soundly thrashed 7-series with ease. There are multiple reasons around the quiet superiority of 460.

1) Class leading low drag coefficient which BMW will never be able to accomplish.
2) World class suspension and insulation which BMW cannot even dream of.
3) Lightweight and ultrasmooth, low friction engine and gearbox, the like of which BMW is incapable of matching even by 2050.

Engineering is what makes LS so quiet and mystical. Let BMW learn how to pronounce "engineering" first and then we will talk further.
I think you've just lost all your credibility (if you had any) with this reply but you surely gain some popularity among the lexusfanboys though.

BTW, this thread is about the quietness of the new LS460. Why are most threads ended up talking about the BMW or MB.... insecurity?
Old 10-29-06, 09:20 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Why are most threads ended up talking about the BMW or MB.... insecurity?
Duh, same stuff happens at MBworld with the S-Class vs LS.
Old 10-30-06, 05:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,543 Posts

However, the way Paul and cumberford wrote, it can mean only one thing. BMW is great in propaganda and lexus is great in innovation.
Well that's not true. One person's marketing is another person's propaganda.

And both companies are very innovative.

Lexus is gradually learning some of BMW tactics with benefit and there is still a long road ahead.
Strong marketing is critical to a brand's success, particularly a luxury brand. Look at other high end brands like Rolex, Mercedes, and on, they all do TONS of propaganda, I mean marketing, to associate their brand with certain demographics and activities. Lexus for example has become quite involved with pro golfers now, where Mercedes and BMW have been for decades.

They all end up having to do the same thing basically, with differences in style and execution.
Old 10-30-06, 09:46 AM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by newr
I think you've just lost all your credibility (if you had any) with this reply but you surely gain some popularity among the lexusfanboys though.

BTW, this thread is about the quietness of the new LS460. Why are most threads ended up talking about the BMW or MB.... insecurity?
I strongly suspect you are not the high priest of credibility. Whatever I said can be independently verified by anyone with an impartial mind.

many of us are too timid to take-on BMW because of the fear of criticism and what others might think if we admit the reality.

"Oh god! how could he say BMW is not fast and athletic, its heretic, he must be mad and should be crucified. Everybody parrots BMW's glories, why doesn't he. Oh my, oh my... "

I also explained in my earlier why LS has beaten 7-series hands down in quietness, comfort and agility apart from busting the 7-series handling myth.

BMW has been easily beaten on road and on track for past half century by practically every major manufacturer. One only has to look at F1 and Le mans records.

Anyhow, Lets go back to quietness, shall we...