LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Second opinion from BMW owner...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 09:54 PM
brt3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second opinion from BMW owner...

I just took my neighbor -- who has a BMW 7-series with the Sport package -- out for a drive. We spent around an hour comparing the two cars. He was blown away by the Lexus, how quiet and refined it is, how well all the tech works and how easily it can be accessed by the driver, and by the overall sense of very high quality. He was blown away by the rear seat, and thought the handling of our LS460L was not that bad. His BMW is one great handling sedan, but the penalties in NVH make the Lexus feel "peaceful and soothing" in comparison. His words. He's also a performance freak (my daily driver is an E55, and he's had a series of AMG and M cars) so I was surprised that his opinions followed my own pretty closely.

He has also spent a great deal of time driving the new S-Class; he can afford just about any car, and said he'd choose the Lexus over the Benz any day.

Interesting thoughts IMHO...
Old 10-29-06, 10:01 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

What does NVH mean?

Why does he have a 7er right now rather than a S-Class or any other sedan available at the time?

Does he just buy cars and flip them? Or does he have a passion for them (I'm not being mean, just curious)...

Why would he choose the LS over the S-Class?
Old 10-29-06, 10:25 PM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by vraa
What does NVH mean? Why does he have a 7er right now rather than a S-Class or any other sedan available at the time? Does he just buy cars and flip them? Or does he have a passion for them (I'm not being mean, just curious)... Why would he choose the LS over the S-Class?
NVH = Noise, Vibration, & Harshness

The guy is very passionate about cars, and just isn't impressed by the new S-Class. He feels the interior is a copy of the BMW, and he liked the LS interior better than either of the German cars. He liked both the design and the materials in the Lexus. He has the 7 because he's a young guy, has always had sporty cars, but has two small kids now.

A lot of this stuff is irrelevant from any objective standpoint, as a lot of people buy cars based on factors which are largely subjective. I merely pass it along because it's interesting -- to me -- to look at the reactions this car elicits.
Old 10-29-06, 10:45 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

I feel that being subjective is the only way to buy a car, because lets all be rational -- what do we need that a Toyota Camry doesn't offer?
Old 10-29-06, 11:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
Luxury...

The LS has that in spades!

Good to hear that the BMW owner had a positive impression!
Old 10-30-06, 05:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
I feel that being subjective is the only way to buy a car, because lets all be rational -- what do we need that a Toyota Camry doesn't offer?
Semi-self parking? rofl...
Old 10-30-06, 05:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
I just took my neighbor -- who has a BMW 7-series with the Sport package -- out for a drive. We spent around an hour comparing the two cars. He was blown away by the Lexus, how quiet and refined it is, how well all the tech works and how easily it can be accessed by the driver, and by the overall sense of very high quality. He was blown away by the rear seat, and thought the handling of our LS460L was not that bad. His BMW is one great handling sedan, but the penalties in NVH make the Lexus feel "peaceful and soothing" in comparison. His words. He's also a performance freak (my daily driver is an E55, and he's had a series of AMG and M cars) so I was surprised that his opinions followed my own pretty closely.

He has also spent a great deal of time driving the new S-Class; he can afford just about any car, and said he'd choose the Lexus over the Benz any day.

Great feedback and yes, "peaceful and soothing" is exactly what Lexus does best. You don't care as much about anything including traffic OUTSIDE the car, when INSIDE the car is so pleasant and library quiet or a concert hall with that audio system uninterrupted by annoying things like engine and road noise.

THAT is Lexus strength.
Old 10-30-06, 06:33 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really think that the environment and luxury is what the LS is all about. Let's face it, if you are really interested in tearing up the road then get a porsche to compliment.
Old 10-30-06, 07:33 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

***The guy is very passionate about cars, and just isn't impressed by the new S-Class. He feels the interior is a copy of the BMW***

HUH!!!???

The interior of the BMW is an ergonomic nightmare. The interior of the new S550 is positively gorgeous and screams"total class."

Has your friend had his eyes checked recently?
Old 10-30-06, 08:30 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

What did your friend say about the acceleration and power of the Lexus?
Old 10-30-06, 09:52 AM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by brt3

Thanks for the positive news. I have been saying this all along. very happy to hear all this. If the mind is not so preconditioned by BMW marketing propaganda, many would agree with Paul Frere and Robert Cumberford that Lexus has beaten BMW even in handling.
Old 10-30-06, 11:07 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

The interior of the BMW is an ergonomic nightmare. The interior of the new S550 is positively gorgeous and screams"total class."
LOL. I think you're the one that needs his eyes checked.

S550 Interior

7-Series Interior

LS460 Interior

In my opinion, the S550 has a classy interior, but to say that it's not a copy of the 7er is a blatant lie, or you're trying to trick yourself otherwise.
The LS460 still has a little work to do, the layout doesn't seem that friendly nor does it seem 'advanced' and 'futuristic' which is what you want in a car at this level because you're supposed to be buying tomorrows technology today.

Just for giggles
Audi A8 interior

Other than the color combo, that is a beautiful (in a different way) interior!
Old 10-30-06, 11:08 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Semi-self parking? rofl...
LOL.

I know another poster said luxury That's subjective, because what is luxurious to one person may be trash to another.

I'm sure those Bentley guys with their gazillion dollar leather probably think our S600/LS600/760 interiors are just too 'blase'.
Old 10-30-06, 11:32 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, the LS 460's interior is the most futuristic of them all...come on, you can't beat a touchscreen!

Old 10-30-06, 11:59 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I think they all have great interiors..lexus places its logo on too many items on the vehicle..as well as the use of overly large text on all of the *****, buttons.etc. I think it takes a little away from that perfect Lexus minimalist feel.

Quick Reply: Second opinion from BMW owner...