LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L: one quiet cabin!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 11:59 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Just be careful you don't accidentally leave the engine running...this has happened to us before in the LS 430. Forgot it was on, couldn't hear...LOL
Seriously he's not kidding.
I have to look at the tach often to make sure the car is on.
Old 11-01-06, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus makes quiet cars. The other day I was in my GS (and it has the L-tuned exhaust) and I kept hearing a crimpling sound and I was like "great a damn rattle" or something...
Ends up it was the styrofoam plate my food was on making noise. I was shocked I could hear that in the car.
Maybe you could hear because the plate of wings was on your lap?
Old 11-01-06, 07:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
Here's a story that proved to me just how quiet this car is. I had a guy I know install paint protection film on the front of our car; when he did the mirrors he remarked that I might get some wrinkles or bubbles since he had to WORK the material to make it conform to the side mirrors. About a day later I noticed a very slight whistling noise. At first I thought it was something I'd just missed, but after thinking about it I realized there was no way the car had been making this noise for the first 500 miles or so; it began the day after I'd had the film installed.

Checked the mirrors and -- sure enough -- the trailing edge of the film had small wrinkles in 2 or 3 spots. Bloody car is so aerodynamically clean -- and incredibly quiet -- that you can hear things that would be obsured in other cars...
I guess the whistle has to be really loud for you to hear it in the car....

I would have assumed with the car being insulated so well, that outside noises would be all, but eliminated.

From other reviews I have read, they deliberately made the exhaust sound more noticeable in the car compared to previous generations of LS. I guess the goal was to make it more "sporty" and less isolated (as in the "Relentless pursuit of perfect isolation"). Have you noticed that? I am very curious about that.
Old 11-01-06, 08:41 AM
brt3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus makes quiet cars. The other day I was in my GS and I kept hearing a crimpling sound and I was like "great a damn rattle" or something... Ends up it was the styrofoam plate my food was on making noise. I was shocked I could hear that in the car.
And I'm SHOCKED that you eat in your car...

Seriously, though, I had a chance to crawl around underneath my car when it was on a lift. The bottom of the car is nearly as well-designed and finished as the top...
Old 11-01-06, 08:45 AM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
I guess the whistle has to be really loud for you to hear it in the car... I would have assumed with the car being insulated so well, that outside noises would be all, but eliminated. From other reviews I have read, they deliberately made the exhaust sound more noticeable in the car compared to previous generations of LS. I guess the goal was to make it more "sporty" and less isolated (as in the "Relentless pursuit of perfect isolation"). Have you noticed that? I am very curious about that.
The car's insulation is superb, and the LS460L has double-pane glass to boot. However, the location of the mirrors -- and their "disruption" of the airflow" -- makes it sound as though the "whistle" is just to the left of the driver's ear -- probably the worst place you could have a noise.

The exhaust/induction noise (I think it's mostly exhaust) is nice; when you dump the throttle you can definitely hear the motor now. Someone at one of the mags made a rude comment about the exhaust sounding truckish, but I think it sounds pretty good. Just the right amount; you can hear there's something expensive under the hood but it only intrudes when you call for it...
Old 11-01-06, 07:03 PM
brt3
Driver

Default How quiet is it?

Edmunds now has a pretty complete list of specs posted online:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=103461

2007 Lexus LS460
dB @ Idle: 37.2
dB @ Full Throttle: 68.3
dB @ 70 mph Cruise: 62.5

Just for reference, I looked up the numbers for the Rolls-Royce Phantom:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...3/pageId=68143

2005 Rolls-Royce Phantom
dB @ Idle: 40
dB @ Full Throttle: 67
dB @ 70 mph Cruise: 59

However, the LS460L has dual-pane glass so it may be quieter still than the numbers posted above...
Old 11-02-06, 12:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

and here is the data for the s class

Db @ Idle: 48
Db @ Full Throttle: 66
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 62

damn lexus, you need to work harder

and here is 750

Db @ Idle: 45
Db @ Full Throttle: 69
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 64
Old 11-02-06, 12:48 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Is that the W221 S-Class?
I believe it has dual pane glass.
Old 11-02-06, 01:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by vraa
Is that the W221 S-Class?
I believe it has dual pane glass.
yeah, i believe it's the w221, i got it off edmund

ls460l has luminated (dual pane) glass as well, so it's quite a bit quieter than ls460
Old 11-02-06, 02:12 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A key measure is idle, and in the data provided that's where the LS 460 runs ahead of the pack. I do think though it depends on the tester, as the LS 430 was tested at 31.1 dB at idle in the front seat by Automotive Marketing Consultants, Inc. in 2002, the quietest on record. Edmunds probably tested the 460 SWB (and they did an incomplete review of the LS in their "full test"). Also, another group found 58 dB at cruising (62 mph) in the original LS 400.

I think Lexus has gotten it down as far as noise levels are concerned, so much so that this time around they decided to actually engineer back in some of the engine sound at certain levels.
Old 11-02-06, 08:51 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Kia Amanti

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle: 40 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration: 70 dBA
70-mph cruising: 63 dBA

low idle dBA is cool and all, but most of the time cars are not sitting idle.. well, unless you live in LA.. lol..
Old 11-02-06, 09:09 AM
nhey
Rookie

It has laminated glass (not luminated glass, LOL).

For those who are interested...

Laminated glass is two pieces of glass sandwiched together with a special plastic inner layer, which glues them together, stops vibrations, blocks UV light and prevents the glass from breaking into many pieces when it is broken. When it does break, it stays together - like your car's front windshield, which is also laminated glass.

Apparently the 460L (but not the SWB) has it on all windows, not just the windshield.
Old 11-02-06, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by enigma888
A key measure is idle, and in the data provided that's where the LS 460 runs ahead of the pack. I do think though it depends on the tester, as the LS 430 was tested at 31.1 dB at idle in the front seat by Automotive Marketing Consultants, Inc. in 2002, the quietest on record. Edmunds probably tested the 460 SWB (and they did an incomplete review of the LS in their "full test"). Also, another group found 58 dB at cruising (62 mph) in the original LS 400.

I think Lexus has gotten it down as far as noise levels are concerned, so much so that this time around they decided to actually engineer back in some of the engine sound at certain levels.
i am curious, why idle is more important? i would think when the car is on the freeway that's more important? just curious, always want to understand this
Old 11-02-06, 09:45 AM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by brt3
Edmunds now has a pretty complete list of specs poce Ph posted above...
Edmunds may not be a trustworthy source. Their reviews on Lexus are misrepresented and often inaccurate and some times downright suspicious.

Their reviews on S-class and A8 are somewhat sensible and on 750 very suspicious again but for completely opposite reasons.

Their data cannot be trusted. They have many unknown agendas.

Unfortunately only an international organization where testers from Americas, Europe and Asia are carefully screened for fanboy journalism and bribery can be relied upon.

However, my personal experience with no instrument testing has been this:

1. Quietest is LS during idle and while cruising. At full throttle it may be sharing the spot with S-class.
2. S-class.
3. bentley continental.
3. Phantom: Due to the enormous coeff. of drag. Huge hairdresser grill and square hood, and that flying rubbish in the middle.
4. 7-series: Inadequately designed airflow, both over and under the structure.

I feel LS and S-class are so close that to the normal person, the difference may be imperceptible.

Last edited by Stevekil; 11-02-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-02-06, 09:53 AM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by Stevekil
Edmunds may not be a trustworthy source. Their reviews on Lexus are misrepresented and often inaccurate and some times downright suspicious.
I respect your opinion, but on specifications Edmunds would be absolutely insane to fudge or alter numbers to favor one brand over another. That would be journalistic and business suicide, especially since many brands link to their comparison database.

I actually thought the final review on the LS was pretty positive. If you add up the positives and negatives, the only negative they seemed to come up with was the old, "car lacks soul" line and the non-Porsche-like handling. Most of their points were accurate, it just depends on your priorities when purchasing.

Besides, as I mentioned in another post, I think the LS has plenty of "soul". I define that as being able to tell that every person involved in the design and production of the car put their heart and soul into it. The details in the LS tell me that this is, indeed, the case...

Quick Reply: LS460L: one quiet cabin!