LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L: one quiet cabin!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 10:16 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
A key measure is idle, and in the data provided that's where the LS 460 runs ahead of the pack. I do think though it depends on the tester, as the LS 430 was tested at 31.1 dB at idle in the front seat by Automotive Marketing Consultants, Inc. in 2002, the quietest on record.
Originally Posted by Stevekil
1. Quietest is LS during idle
I think you both are wrong...

The Toyota Hybrid and Lexus Hybrid are the kings in the "idle" department.
Old 11-02-06, 12:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newr
I think you both are wrong...

The Toyota Hybrid and Lexus Hybrid are the kings in the "idle" department.
Yup you are right. The ACMI study I quoted occurred before the Prius made it to the testing for ACMI, I believe. They were focused on luxury cars, and found that the LS beat all comers, including super-luxury cars like RR, Bentley, etc.

And the LS 600h L is supposedly going to be the quietest sedan in the world, if Lexus is correct! So watch out Prius!

Originally Posted by rominl
i am curious, why idle is more important? i would think when the car is on the freeway that's more important? just curious, always want to understand this
As a practical matter, you are right. I didn't mean to imply that idle was the only thing, I was just stating that it is a key measure, a baseline on how quiet a car is, and from a practical testing point of view, it is IMO the least biased method of testing (just turn the car on, and measure from a specific point in the car). By contrast, when driving, the dB measures can vary significantly more IMO based on the prevailing wind conditions, driving styles, etc. It would be best that they did some sort of controlled sound room/rollers/etc test, but I doubt that happened. Which is why you see a discrepancy between what Edmunds found, what ACMI found with earlier LS vehicles, etc.

It may also be my bias in wanting to point out where the LS excels. After all, the LS is about 8-10 dB more quiet than the S and 7 at idle; when it goes to the other measures, it is within 2-3, better or worse. At idle, closest is the RR at just 2.8 noiser than the LS. So when you look at the other measures, they are all exceptionally close, but the idle shows that the LS engine/soundproofing is truly quiet indeed, moreso than the S and 7 competition. When the engine is at speed, in the SWB according to Edmunds, it is about the same as the competitors.

Last edited by encore888; 11-02-06 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-02-06, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

got it man, i totally understand your point

although to me i think the running speed db is also very important. very true that wind and some other natural variables around could affect things, but another big factor is suspension setup, which could induce a lot of noise inside the cabin?
Old 11-02-06, 10:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree, the suspension may be another big factor...maybe even the tires and wheel covers! I'd really like to know at what specific dB range, and what type of footprint the Lexus engineers aimed for when they decided to bring back a bit of the engine noise for the LS 460.

Also I would love to ride in an LS 600h L and compare with the LS 460...and empirically see if the 600h L captures the 'quietest in the world' crown.
Old 11-02-06, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by enigma888
I agree, the suspension may be another big factor...maybe even the tires and wheel covers! I'd really like to know at what specific dB range, and what type of footprint the Lexus engineers aimed for when they decided to bring back a bit of the engine noise for the LS 460.

Also I would love to ride in an LS 600h L and compare with the LS 460...and empirically see if the 600h L captures the 'quietest in the world' crown.
right on with all your points!!! only time will tell
Old 11-12-06, 08:13 PM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by brt3
Here's a story that proved to me just how quiet this car is. I had a guy I know install paint protection film on the front of our car; when he did the mirrors he remarked that I might get some wrinkles or bubbles since he had to WORK the material to make it conform to the side mirrors. About a day later I noticed a very slight whistling noise. At first I thought it was something I'd just missed, but after thinking about it I realized there was no way the car had been making this noise for the first 500 miles or so; it began the day after I'd had the film installed.

Checked the mirrors and -- sure enough -- the trailing edge of the film had small wrinkles in 2 or 3 spots. Bloody car is so aerodynamically clean -- and incredibly quiet -- that you can hear things that would be obsured in other cars...
Guess what -- paint film fixed, whistling sound gone! I think you hear things in this car that are masked by the higher ambient sound levels in other cars...
Old 11-12-06, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Guess what -- paint film fixed, whistling sound gone!
Great news!

I think you hear things in this car that are masked by the higher ambient sound levels in other cars...
Definitely. Hopefully no one in the car is eating tortilla chips. Very loud!
Old 11-13-06, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Guess what -- paint film fixed, whistling sound gone! I think you hear things in this car that are masked by the higher ambient sound levels in other cars...
that's amazing, brt!!!!!

can't wait to drive a production unit to see how quiet it really is
Old 11-13-06, 03:37 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

good news!
Old 11-14-06, 04:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
got it man, i totally understand your point

although to me i think the running speed db is also very important. very true that wind and some other natural variables around could affect things, but another big factor is suspension setup, which could induce a lot of noise inside the cabin?
when comparing cars, same road surface is probably the most important factor...