LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extras???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 04:38 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extras???

Anyone know about these extras? I went for them since they made sense, but they added around 3,000.00 to the price.

I went for the window etching, a treatment to the interior and exterior to resist stains etc. (have 2 grandchildren) and an insurance package that will pay me the difference of what I paid and what the insurance company gives me. That could come out to a 25k payout if stolen. Not likely, but possible.

Anyone else go for this?

Was it a waste of money?

I know it is too late, but any comments?
Old 11-07-06, 04:58 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

window etch - bad idea

paint and leather protection - bad idea

gap coverage - not a bad idea, depending on the premium charged
Old 11-07-06, 05:11 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Well thanks for the tidings of doom and destruction...it would be nice if you explained yourself though.

No, No, Maybe isnt really helpful to anyone in here...
Old 11-07-06, 05:17 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjbodean
window etch - bad idea

paint and leather protection - bad idea

gap coverage - not a bad idea, depending on the premium charged
Please give your opinion why they were bad ideas...
Now I feel taken.
Old 11-07-06, 05:26 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we need more information on the insurance coverage to understand what you got. Gap coverage refers to lease payments, but you did not specify whether you leased the car. From what you wrote it almost sounds like if you drive the car five years and it gets stolen, you will get the full original purchase price of the car back, even though it will be worth less than half the value.

Can you give us a little more details? Also, how much was each of these three items? Window etchings are usually only a few hundred dollars. I've never understood what this accomplished, as each car has a unique VIN# anyway, and your insurance company will cover your losses regardless of whether the windows have etchings in them.

What kind of treatment do they do to the interior? Is it like a scotch guard? What type of guarantee do they offer? Are there any limitations, like if you slice the leather with a knife?
Old 11-07-06, 06:32 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

you can purchase gap coverage on a retail purchase, as you know its already included on a lease
Old 11-07-06, 06:36 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

window etch - i have never personally heard any instances in all my years in the car business where window etch helped recover ones vehicle. i dont think its much of a deterrent, either

paint and interior protection - unless you have a black car and acid rain is prevalent in your part of the country, i wouldnt get it. our cars come with a clear coat as it is, most minor imperfections will buff out. i would have invested that money in the clearbra instead. if you read the policy most of the interior protections i have seen dont really cover what you would think they cover. both the paint and interior protections almost always require you to apply certain products to your car every so often to remain in compliance with the terms of your policy or they will deny your claim.
Old 11-07-06, 06:39 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dfkd
Well thanks for the tidings of doom and destruction..
no doom and destruction, just my opinion. these products might work for some and not others, its just my viewpoint as someone in the industry, take it for what its worth
Old 11-07-06, 07:28 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SexEndaLex
Woa, look-a-here. I actually stated my opinion on this in another thread of yours, with the picture. I didn't know you started another thread asking about the same exact thing. The fact that I mentioned it without even knowing you asked about it in another thread is, well, proof that yeah, it is a waste of money. Sorry, pal. If a care sales professional (JJ) is telling you it's not worth it, then it REALLY ISN'T worth it.
I started a new Thread because the other was on a different topic. Then I wondered to myself if all this stuff was worth it. Obviously it was not.

BTW - I purchased my car and all the above mentioned extras ran me close to $3,000.00.
Old 11-07-06, 08:11 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

can you supply a breakdown of what each item cost?
Old 11-07-06, 08:14 AM
Rocman
Pole Position

That a lot of money.
Gap is usually around $300.
Etching is also around $300.
Paint & interior protection averages around $500.
Thats only $1100. There was some heavy dealer padding there.
Even at these prices, I would not get them, except for GAP.
These prices that I have quoted above are from personal experiences from the last couple years, which include the purchases of about 10 different cars, from different makes and dealers.
Old 11-07-06, 08:32 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

lexus financial retail price for gap for a term of 60 months is $540, here in alabama we are limited by the state to a retail amount of $330. its not a big profit center, but its a great coverage for a few bucks a month for the customer, especially those who dont put much if any cash down. i offer it for 2 reasons: 1 - can be helpful to the customer, and probably more importantly 2 - i score brownie points with lexus financial; lets them know i am a supportive dealer and they will stretch for me on a customer with not so good credit who may be turned down otherwise.
Old 11-07-06, 08:44 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rocman
That a lot of money.
Gap is usually around $300.
Etching is also around $300.
Paint & interior protection averages around $500.
Thats only $1100. There was some heavy dealer padding there.
Even at these prices, I would not get them, except for GAP.
These prices that I have quoted above are from personal experiences from the last couple years, which include the purchases of about 10 different cars, from different makes and dealers.
I will have to check my invoice when I get home, but I believe one was $1,200.00 and the other $1,300.00 and the something else was $500.00.
Old 11-07-06, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree, definitely a lot of money for something i wouldn't get

windows etching is nothing more than a "myth" to me almost. if someone is going to steal your car, how is that etching going to help? i don't know, by that time your car is almost "done" anyway

the protection thing? give me a break. i am half hard core detailer myself, nothing comes free. those protective stuff, one wash by me and i can take them all away already. when it comes to paint and interior protection, there is no easy route, you have to pay the money and time and effort to keep it

the insurance thing, i can't comment, not very familiar with it myself

Last edited by rominl; 11-08-06 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-07-06, 09:51 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You got it anyways, and even if its not super-effective, you did all you could to protect your baby.

Quick Reply: Extras???