LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Loading music onto HDD

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 02:50 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

The hard drive Lexus is offering is something they should have done 5 years ago, not now.
Agreed 100%, and now that it's here it's kinda puny in offering.
I think this will be for the masses, not the ones in the know.
Old 12-07-06, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Given hard drive prices/densities, I expect Lexus will up the HDD capacity over time. Part of the issue may be sourcing a hard drive that has very high MTBF (mean time between failures). Given that the hard drive is spun up and down each time the car is started/stopped, that's VERY hard on a hard drive mechanism, so it's possible Lexus couldn't get higher capacities at high reliability and reasonable cost, plus they may have sourced the part years ago as the car has been under development a LONG time.

I had the HD nav in my old GS400 and I had one HD failure (dealer replaced it). No biggie for a nav only system, but if I've ripped 100 CDs to it and it crashes, big ouch so it had better be reliable. Actually they might need (or maybe they do ) mirrored drives.
Old 12-08-06, 06:31 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Given hard drive prices/densities, I expect Lexus will up the HDD capacity over time. Part of the issue may be sourcing a hard drive that has very high MTBF (mean time between failures). Given that the hard drive is spun up and down each time the car is started/stopped, that's VERY hard on a hard drive mechanism, so it's possible Lexus couldn't get higher capacities at high reliability and reasonable cost, plus they may have sourced the part years ago as the car has been under development a LONG time.

I had the HD nav in my old GS400 and I had one HD failure (dealer replaced it). No biggie for a nav only system, but if I've ripped 100 CDs to it and it crashes, big ouch so it had better be reliable. Actually they might need (or maybe they do ) mirrored drives.
Lexus could've elected to use flash memory data storage and they wouldn't have to consider MTBF. I also think it's a lot more reliable than the HD.
You know what else could be very cool is if they added a USB2.0 socket so that you could play music or movies of of it.
Just my .02 cents,
Dmitry
Old 12-08-06, 07:03 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering Lexus is the first to put this out to the public, I think they did a remarkable job. Had this feature not been in the car, then we would not have missed it.

Hats off to Lexus for being on top of the game.
Old 12-08-06, 07:24 AM
Car Nut
Driver

I remember the days when cars had no music at all apart from the 'music' from the engine. Then the radios, 8 track, cassettes and CD and now the choice is just amazing.

For a car company to have the vision of having a hard drive for music and make it user friendly like Lexus has done, is in my opinion ground breaking. Sure, next year there may be many other cars with it. And may include more features and bigger HD's, USB access etc.

But for the moment I am happy with the Lexus system and I don't want the LS to be let down in the JD Power ratings etc., because of a more complicated hard drive for music.
Old 12-08-06, 07:43 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfiorito
Considering Lexus is the first to put this out to the public, I think they did a remarkable job. Had this feature not been in the car, then we would not have missed it.

Hats off to Lexus for being on top of the game.
PhatNoise had the removable aftermarket HD for years that dockto your car/trunk and home computer. Of course, with iPOD no one is buying them anymore.
Old 12-08-06, 08:34 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I believe it can rip at 128kbps or 256kbps only.
Now thats ****ty!

Should be set a 320 kbps and only 320 kbps. True it does eat up alot of room atleast its not in *.wav format.
Old 12-08-06, 10:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the gracenote feature working well for you guys? I wonder if it does that for foreign language music CD's.
Old 12-10-06, 12:01 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dfiorito
I would think that the less compression, the more hard disk space each song would require. If you are copying without any loss, then each song would be about 4 to 5 megs. Compressed, each song could be closer to 1 meg. Most of the hard drive is dedicated to the NAV system and the audio part is only getting 8 gigs. I still think 8 gigs is quite a bit for music.
A 128 kbps mp3 is about 1 mb per minute. That's pretty lossy. Lossless is more like 10x that. A song on a CD is typically 50 MB or so. Aside from that misinformation, the HDD is 30 GB so the nav does indeed take up quite a bit of space.

Originally Posted by vraa
You are right to an extent.
I believe most lossless songs are around 15mb or so.
Compress they are one third that size.
Read above.

Originally Posted by JessePS
Should be set a 320 kbps and only 320 kbps. True it does eat up alot of room atleast its not in *.wav format.
Actually the difference between sound quality in 256 kpbs and 320 kbps is minute. The encoder algorithm is more important than the small difference in bitrate when comparing the two. Of course the guys at ML and Lexus knew this, and that's why it is the way it is.

Originally Posted by Car Nut
For a car company to have the vision of having a hard drive for music and make it user friendly like Lexus has done, is in my opinion ground breaking. Sure, next year there may be many other cars with it. And may include more features and bigger HD's, USB access etc.
Read: mygig option on many Chrysler/Dodge vehicles. The aftermarket has had it for quite some time as well. Eclipse navis come to mind. Kudos to Lexus for doing it nonetheless, revolutionary or not.
Old 12-02-07, 04:20 PM
LS Fan
Driver School Candidate

Question

This may be a silly question, but in the 2008 LS460 SWB, is it required to have the ML audio system in order to rip CDs to the hard drive, or can this be done with the standard audio system?
Old 12-02-07, 04:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Yes, it is required to have the ML package with HDD song capability, this usually also comes with the HDD-enabled NAVI system. One of our forum members recently just traded in his LS 460 for a ML-equipped version in order to have this feature.
Old 12-02-07, 05:20 PM
ironhorse
Driver

I added a ipod dock mounted in the center console, works great and best of all it is hidden from sight. It works with the ML and the steering wheel vol, track up and down and all the buttons work just like a Ipod. cost was about 300.00 money well spent......
Old 12-02-07, 06:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Yes, it is required to have the ML package with HDD song capability, this usually also comes with the HDD-enabled NAVI system. One of our forum members recently just traded in his LS 460 for a ML-equipped version in order to have this feature.
and same for dvd playback, you need ML
Old 12-02-07, 08:21 PM
LS Fan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by encore888
it is required to have the ML package with HDD song capability, this usually also comes with the HDD-enabled NAVI system.
If I do have the HDD-enabled NAVI System, but not the ML, can I rip the discs?
Old 12-02-07, 08:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I think that you have to have ML to have the HDD song capability. This also comes with gracenote, the system which IDs the mp3 tracks as they are copied to the HDD. 2,000 songs max is sort of similar to connecting an iPod nano through the AUX input.

Quick Reply: Loading music onto HDD