LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can other LS460 owners please verify if I have a malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 12:07 AM
Dlau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can other LS460 owners please verify if I have a malfunction?

Hi,

I owned my LS460 for about ten days. Today I found out that I could not use the dash Truck Opener button (the button next to the gas door release button) to close the trunk lid. Also, I have tried to use the remote control truck button and it will only open the trunk but not close it. The closer button on the truck lid itself function normally.

From my memory, although not 100% positive, I kind of remember I have used both the dash button and the remote to both open and close the trunk lid. I am thinking I may have a malfunction.

Can other owner please help me verify can your dash button and the remote close the automatic truck lid?
Your reply is appreciated. Thanks!

Dlau
Old 11-19-06, 12:35 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

im not an ls460 owner but...

its only logical to me (since i own a self closing trunk on my RX) to hold down the button(s) for at least 5 seconds. also, if the trunk closed on something while closing, it needs to be reset some how...
Old 11-19-06, 04:28 AM
clambros
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont have a malfunction .. that is exactly the way mine works.
Old 11-19-06, 05:37 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is how it works on mine also and I think that this was an engineering oversight. This technology should work like my RX330 (open/close from inside or remotely). Strange.
Old 11-19-06, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

I expect that's a (lawyer) safety feature so you can't accidentally close something/someone in the trunk.
Old 11-19-06, 08:27 AM
Dlau
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your replies, I think this is strange too, as my 04' Sienna can open and close the hatch using the inside button and remote. So, lets say if I drop off my wife at the mall and I open the trunk for her from inside to let her get something (remember she can't open the trunk from outside if she don't have the key with her), and then she forgot to press the closing button on the trunk lid and ran inside the mall (hurry to buy her stuff. It does happen to my wife at lease!); then I will have to get out of the car and walk to the back to close it myself??? Strange....

Dlau
Old 11-19-06, 01:34 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is most strange since other lexus models have it. Also, the RX will revert back to open if it encounters any sort of object within the close. I checked the manual and it didn't reference automatic closure from the remote or inside button so maybe this is how the car operates (for better or worse).
Old 11-19-06, 09:46 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I expect that's a (lawyer) safety feature so you can't accidentally close something/someone in the trunk.
Bit,

All cars manufactured after 2002, as I recall, have emergency trunk openers inside the trunk lid. After all the carjackings and kids suffocating by playing with cars in the summer heat. They glow in the dark too, at least on my 2001 GS430 they do. So it may have to be a safety issue that it doesn't close on someone as they are bending over to pick/drop something inside the trunk. Stinks that you can't close the trunk from inside the car though, figured Lexus would put some sensors around the trunk opening.
Old 11-19-06, 10:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

According to Rominl, who tested the trunk opener, it has sensors and stops if something is obstructing it.
Old 11-20-06, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

So somehow the LS development team forgot this?
Old 11-20-06, 07:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
According to Rominl, who tested the trunk opener, it has sensors and stops if something is obstructing it.
that wouldnt involve my head, stuck partly in between.
I would think difference between Sienna and RX, and LS is that you need it more there and you also have much better impression of what is behind you than in sedan... Also trunk is completly differently designed and I am not sure how good could they position the sensors...

they are very much different cars...
Old 11-21-06, 04:43 PM
02FXSTI
Driver School Candidate

yeah, thats the way it works. At least they added a button on the trunk itself so you can walk up to the car (with the 'key' in your pocket, the 'key' can not be inside the car) and open the trunk without having to push a button on the remote.
Old 11-21-06, 10:25 PM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Official factory explanation is that in a sedan like the LS rear view form the drivers seat is very limited when the trunk is open. Driver cannot see if there are children playing etc. behind the car close to the trunk. With Sienna and RX when the rear hatch is open driver has a clear view of the rear and is able to close the hatch safely from inside of the car.
Old 11-22-06, 04:53 AM
wwilkens
Driver School Candidate

Mine is just 2 days old......I have not tried the dash button, but the button on the fob will close the trunk if I hold it down. Maybe it's one of the personal preference options that's need to be changed at the dealer only somehow mine was missed. I will have to try the dash button though
Old 11-22-06, 06:44 AM
Dlau
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure? My remote fob can only open the trunk lid but not close it. If I hold the button a few seconds after the trunk lid is fully opened, the car merely give me a beep. However, if the trunk is during opening and you press the fob button, the lid will stop its movement. So, you sure yours can close it after it is fully opened? Thanks!

Dlau

Quick Reply: Can other LS460 owners please verify if I have a malfunction?