LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any issues with the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 06:46 AM
nobuddy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghmundt
To throw another log on this fire, another issue with the LS 460 is it has lost its unique look. The lines a very similar to many other Toyota products. It looks a bit like an 07 Camry on steroids!
I have to agree with this. I've now seen a couple on the road. I mistook the first one for an ES350, until I saw the tailpipes. Another looked like an Avalon to me. To me, the Avalon is a cleaner design, especially the rear.

While family resemblance is a good thing... no one ever mistakes an MB S-Class for an E or C class, or a BMW 7 for a 5.
Old 12-20-06, 07:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by nobuddy
IWhile family resemblance is a good thing... no one ever mistakes an MB S-Class for an E or C class, or a BMW 7 for a 5.
Not with the new S class with the wheel arches & the new style trunk, but I've known people who did confuse the previous S class with the C & E class on the road today.
Old 12-20-06, 07:11 AM
nobuddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Not with the new S class with the wheel arches & the new style trunk, but I've known people who did confuse the previous S class with the C & E class on the road today.
Really? OK, may I amend my previous statement to "Almost no one..." or "Most people..."

Old 12-20-06, 07:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

It's actually quite a common complaint, including a couple auto journalists, especially the C class, from a distance, compared to the W220 S-class.
Old 12-20-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nobuddy
I have to agree with this. I've now seen a couple on the road. I mistook the first one for an ES350, until I saw the tailpipes. Another looked like an Avalon to me. To me, the Avalon is a cleaner design, especially the rear.

While family resemblance is a good thing... no one ever mistakes an MB S-Class for an E or C class, or a BMW 7 for a 5.
for the record, up till this point my wife still has a very tough time telling between c, e, and s. don't ask me why, all she can tell is 2 doors or 4 doors.

and then again, with lexus, i never mix them up
Old 12-23-06, 09:20 AM
EKM
Driver School Candidate

As I begin to see more 460s on the road, I have found that without studying it I can only tell the difference (from an ES) by the tailpipes. Usually it goes something like: is that a , maybe, I think, it kinda looks like, YEP those are the tailpipes...

I have to preface, I used to be heavily into cars, I could tell the difference between nearly any year Vette if I was within 50 ft of it. With a career, new house a two year old and one due in two weeks I don't pay that much attention anymore.

I find many cars out there look too similar to their siblings. I feel terrible for anyone who owns an A8 (for several reasons), the badge is the ONLY way I know it isn't an A6 ( a friend who has an A6 completely agrees).

The S550 on the other hand is unmistakable as a glimpse from a few hundred feet away.

Like I said I don't pay that much attention to the differences anymore, I just like to drive, and for me they need to vary the styling more...
Old 12-23-06, 09:33 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EKM
As I begin to see more 460s on the road, I have found that without studying it I can only tell the difference (from an ES) by the tailpipes. Usually it goes something like: is that a , maybe, I think, it kinda looks like, YEP those are the tailpipes...

I have to preface, I used to be heavily into cars, I could tell the difference between nearly any year Vette if I was within 50 ft of it. With a career, new house a two year old and one due in two weeks I don't pay that much attention anymore.

I find many cars out there look too similar to their siblings. I feel terrible for anyone who owns an A8 (for several reasons), the badge is the ONLY way I know it isn't an A6 ( a friend who has an A6 completely agrees).

The S550 on the other hand is unmistakable as a glimpse from a few hundred feet away.

Like I said I don't pay that much attention to the differences anymore, I just like to drive, and for me they need to vary the styling more...
I think Lexus is sticking to their roots. Make Camry variants for the upscale markets. The typical Lexus buyer is not looking for a car that stands out. They want a good car with all the bells and whistles with the reliability of a Camry. I don't think this is a bad thing as they are catering to their largest custom base/profile. The formula must be working given the car sales.
Old 12-23-06, 01:10 PM
EKM
Driver School Candidate

On the contrary, everything Lexus is doing is geared towards taking on MB and BMW ( sporty small sedans, a more expensive flagship, L wheelbase etc). I would not consider the LS460 a Camry variant.

I would expect Toyota would LOVE to have Lexus widely viewed as more 'prestigious' than MB. Someday it might happen, but for now they need to stop making everything look near identical. Other manufactures can manage to strenghen their brand identity without just adding a few inches in dimension. I'm not bashing Lexus, personally I feel Audi does this the most.

It's just that I really WANT to like this car, but I find I constantly need to sell myself on why I like it. I have always regarded Lexus as a very sensible car in the luxury category, but lately I'm looking for more than just sensibility. I guess when you are doing something as UN-sensible as plucking down 80 large on a car you find mathematics only form the foundation, I'm looking for the rest...
Old 01-02-07, 05:13 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Here's the deal... let me chime in on the eternal jabs at the Lexus ride... it's floaty, light, and relaxed. Yes, the Germans are better at it... Better yet, the Italians do a much better job than the Germans... it all depends what you're looking for.

Right now, my family owns an LS430, SC430, and a Maserati Grandsport Spyder. We've owned throughout the years a MB SL500, LS400, RX300, GS300, BMW 745, Cadillacs + a number of other assortments that I can't even remember.

The most fun car to drive? The Maserati
The car with the most problems? Tie between BMW 7 and MB SL500... both lemoned
The car with the best overall ride (as in comfort)... Lexus
The best value for a convertible... SC430

I spend about 1- 1.2 hours in traffic, each way... to drive about 12-14 miles. That's a good 2-2 1/2 hours/day in stop and go traffic. Sure, when I like to have fun, I'd rather drive the Maserati, and smoke all the little idiots trying to race me. However, after I get back from work, after working for 10 hours, that's the last car I want... shifts give you whiplash, and the sound of the exhaust makes you more tired. I'd rather have the plush interior of the LS, and relax at least a bit before I rinse and repeat...

My point? It all depends what you're looking for. No car is perfect, and that's the reason why they're all separated in categories. They all fill their own niche.
Old 01-03-07, 02:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MarsB007
Here's the deal... let me chime in on the eternal jabs at the Lexus ride... it's floaty, light, and relaxed. Yes, the Germans are better at it... Better yet, the Italians do a much better job than the Germans... it all depends what you're looking for.

Right now, my family owns an LS430, SC430, and a Maserati Grandsport Spyder. We've owned throughout the years a MB SL500, LS400, RX300, GS300, BMW 745, Cadillacs + a number of other assortments that I can't even remember.

The most fun car to drive? The Maserati
The car with the most problems? Tie between BMW 7 and MB SL500... both lemoned
The car with the best overall ride (as in comfort)... Lexus
The best value for a convertible... SC430

I spend about 1- 1.2 hours in traffic, each way... to drive about 12-14 miles. That's a good 2-2 1/2 hours/day in stop and go traffic. Sure, when I like to have fun, I'd rather drive the Maserati, and smoke all the little idiots trying to race me. However, after I get back from work, after working for 10 hours, that's the last car I want... shifts give you whiplash, and the sound of the exhaust makes you more tired. I'd rather have the plush interior of the LS, and relax at least a bit before I rinse and repeat...

My point? It all depends what you're looking for. No car is perfect, and that's the reason why they're all separated in categories. They all fill their own niche.
GREAT post!
Old 01-03-07, 01:07 PM
jg_hill1
Driver School Candidate

OK, it's time to chime in on this one! While I agree that at a distance the LS 460 has similar lines to the ES when one get's up close there are many differences. The LS has much more complex sheet metal work and many details are very different. For those of you who think it looks like a Camry I suggest you park them side by side and then decide.

The S550 has a distinct look now but from what I've seen of the upcoming C and E class they will look very much like the S!
Old 01-03-07, 02:04 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While, from a distance, the LS may look kinda similar to the ES, I think part of that is just us getting used to it - once we get used to the two new designs I'm sure we can more readily tell them apart.

I still have a hard time telling the new E/S, A6/A8, and 5/7 apart from a distance, too. At least the LS looks nothing like the GS.
Old 01-03-07, 02:15 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jg_hill1
The S550 has a distinct look now but from what I've seen of the upcoming C and E class they will look very much like the S!
And if you get out of the S, close your eyes, go sit in the 7, open your eyes, they look identical

Actually, aren't LS owners suppose to share/describe any mechanical/electrical/physical problems with their new LS rather? The common complaints is the looks

So far, it seems like no major issues
Old 01-04-07, 07:37 PM
vanlex
Rookie

I absolutely LOVE Lexus. I grew up around them and appreciate their quality, top-shelf service, etc.

However, I agree with a previous poster that upon reflection, I am working a little too hard to like the 460 now that we're talking $80k USD. Sneeze and you're slipping into an S-Class (which IMO is drop-dead gorgeous).

I concur that in terms of driving dynamics, Lexus has stuck to their guns (their market). So to compare the Lexus driving experience to that of say BMW is moot.

However, they have been turning a deaf ear to their customer base for too long now. Lexus ubiquity can no longer be compensated for by the other usual Lexus accolades...there's too much competition.

What's holding me back from the Benz? It's not a Lexus. How ironic is that? Lexus has me in their spell on all fronts except styling.

Lexus had their chance - a clean slate - with the all-new LS, and the L-Finesse mandate, to stylistically knock this car out of the park and put the marque on the map.

In my personal view they have failed; Infinity / Nissan for example is absolutely slaying them in the looks department. If the LS looked at least as good as the IS, one would be in my garage right now.
Old 01-04-07, 07:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I don't know if I can agree with that, the LS460 is possibly the best looking Lexus sedan ever, even more so than the new IS350. With the exception of the front end, I like the LS460 better than the IS350 from all other angles, especially the LWB version.

Quick Reply: Any issues with the LS460