LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any issues with the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 01:11 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any issues with the LS460

Hi,

Thinking about trading in my old MB for an LS. Little skeptical though because my neighbor's ES is having all kinds of issues. I know Lexus' are great cars, I just want to know up front about any concerns.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-06, 01:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to CL!!!

Just based on the 2007 ES forum, it seems that car is having a number of new production issues, although they are on a subset of vehicles and the later builds are better.

The 2007 LS though is a different animal. Different factory, being the flagship with absolutely top-of-the-line production standards--beyond the generally high reputation of other Lexus vehicle production standards. The Lexus techs I talked to say this car is intended to be the best built Lexus yet--a high standard to uphold for sure. Knock on wood that will come true. The new LS for sure is very complex and has lots of technological features...

There are quite a few LS owners on here and so far it seems the car is doing well, but it's early.
Old 12-05-06, 01:45 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

I had a few issues

1)Tire Pressure Monitor went off and had to go to the dealer to fix it.
2)Lexus Link was not working. Had to leave the car while they figured out the problem.
3)Now my backseat passenger side doorshade does not go up. I guess I am due for another trip to the dealer.
Old 12-05-06, 01:51 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfiorito
I had a few issues

1)Tire Pressure Monitor went off and had to go to the dealer to fix it.
2)Lexus Link was not working. Had to leave the car while they figured out the problem.
3)Now my backseat passenger side doorshade does not go up. I guess I am due for another trip to the dealer.
I don't know of any car model that does not have an issue with tire pressure monitoring. Seems to be prevalent on MB and BMW as well. I wonder if they all bought the same system?
Old 12-05-06, 01:52 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just passed 1K miles and my only issue is the car is so stealthly fast and quiet that I got a speeding ticket.
Old 12-05-06, 10:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think in general first year car probably has couple of issues to be worked out. my bet is lexus probably paid more attention on the LS to make it more "perfect" than the ES, but to me, i would wait a yr just to be sure
Old 12-06-06, 06:58 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As indicated in another thread, acceleration from a dead stop intermittently meets with a slight thump and delay. This occurs after braking the car to a stop, for instance at a red light, and waiting 15 or so seconds. I had this checked this week and after consultation with Lexus, the service dept told me this was a normal result of the following: When you stop the car and hold your foot on the brake, after a short number of seconds, the car drops itself into neutral to conserve gas. I was not told if it went back into gear immediately after the brake was released or after the gas peddle was stepped on, but I surmise that it is when the brake is released because the car starts creeping immediately. I also noticed that when I release the brake and allow the car to creep a foot or so, the acceleration delay does not occur.

Just to clarify things, the Hold button is off the entire time. The Hold system does not figure into this problem and procedure.

If this is all true, then I expect that eventually they will figure out how to quicken the time it takes from brake release to automatically dropping back into gear so that this time is quicker then it takes to move the foot from the brake to the gas peddle and start acceleration.
Old 12-06-06, 01:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, seems like that doorshade got stuck. On the LS 430 some owners did report a similar thing once in a while.
Old 12-06-06, 01:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the tire pressure monitor system had gone bad in our 4runner the first winter we owned it when it claimed the pressure was low on one of the tires (it doesn't say which one or by how much - though it probably does on the LS with all those displays!) and I checked all the tires and they all checked out exactly where they should be.

It wasn't until later I found out there was a sensor in the spare tire under the truck, too.

Ever since then I know to check all 5 tires if the light comes on and that always takes care of it.
Old 12-07-06, 09:21 PM
ghmundt
Driver

As probably the only person who has already sold their LS460, I had one issue: driving enjoyment. It is a great passengers car, but not an enjoyable car to drive. Yes it is quiet and fast, but the suspension float and body roll are like a Lincoln towncar. Not that that is bad, but it is not for evetyone. I just urge anyone considering buying the car to take a serious test drive. I will probably buy another in a year or so when they put the touring suspension on th SWB.
Old 12-08-06, 02:18 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Contrary to your opinion Ghmundt, I, as well as the majority of Lexus owners love the way the Lexus LS drives (I'm only 22) and that's one of the reasons why people buy the LS. Oh and Please! The LS' suspension is nothing like that of a Lincoln Towncar.
Old 12-08-06, 06:06 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghmundt
As probably the only person who has already sold their LS460, I had one issue: driving enjoyment. It is a great passengers car, but not an enjoyable car to drive. Yes it is quiet and fast, but the suspension float and body roll are like a Lincoln towncar. Not that that is bad, but it is not for evetyone. I just urge anyone considering buying the car to take a serious test drive. I will probably buy another in a year or so when they put the touring suspension on th SWB.
Interesting. I had the same impression when I test drove it.
What did you get to replace the LS460?
Old 12-08-06, 07:48 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ghmundt
As someone who has owned both Lexus and BMW, I see it this way.

BMW's are for people who like to drive.

Lexus' for for people who like to be driven.

You can't have it both ways with one car. When I drive my 6 series, it is no doubt fun. When I get my new Lexus to replace my MB, I do not expect any fun, just a comfortable and quiet cabin. I had an ES about 8 years that was exactly that.
Old 12-08-06, 08:49 AM
ghmundt
Driver

Yeah, but in comparison to the LS460 the LS 430 is feeling like a real drivers car right now. We replaced the 460 by keeping my wife's LS430 and added an E550 4matic sport that is a blast to drive. If MB quality becomes an issue the E will go, but for now it is a great drivers car. When we have large rear seat passengers we take the LS430.

Last edited by ghmundt; 12-08-06 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
As someone who has owned both Lexus and BMW, I see it this way.

BMW's are for people who like to drive.

Lexus' for for people who like to be driven.

You can't have it both ways with one car. When I drive my 6 series, it is no doubt fun. When I get my new Lexus to replace my MB, I do not expect any fun, just a comfortable and quiet cabin. I had an ES about 8 years that was exactly that.
pretty good way to put it imho

Quick Reply: Any issues with the LS460