LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise in LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 01:08 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well let's do stock tires on both, you can do a lot to make the car quieter than stock, but what come stock is what count imho.
I agree, but I was talking about stock ER 33 or whatever the OEM Bridgestones were. My 430 had a near new set of those on it when I got it, and that's what I was mostly comparing to. I only mentioned "right tires" because I have heard that some of the OEMs got kind of noisy, particularly when they got older, and the 460 definitely has new tires on it at this point.

same with suspensions and such. your ls430 handles better coz' of your setup. stock to stock? i choose ls460 handling for sure
Again, I generally agree, with the possible exception of the Sport Suspension 430. It's been almost a year since I drove one, but my recollection was that it handled pretty decently, and perhaps even better than the 460 that I drove. But even though that's stock to stock, it's a little apples-and-oranges because it's comparing the Sport 430 and the 460L on the more "grandpa" tires/wheels/suspension. With both on an equivalent OEM setup (softest suspension/tire setup, or Sport/Touring Pkg) I think you're right -- the 460 is probably an improvement.

I'd be interested in having other LS owners or GS owners drive my car and see what they think of it. The more I drive it on the Tein CS and the aftermarket tires/wheels, the more l am impressed with it. I especially like the steering feel, and that's not something that one would normally list as a positive attribute for a Lexus. Or maybe I'm crazy....
Old 12-08-06, 03:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because everything on the car is designed to be exceedingly quiet, there is bound to be a bit of wind noise once in a while. The car cannot be perfectly silent.
Old 12-08-06, 03:47 PM
jotafl
Driver

I also noticed some noise coming from the driver's seat. I did not notice that until today when I was driving to work at 6:00 and the road was very quiet with no car noise. I started to listen very closely and I believe it comes from the left side mirror, when I was driving I retracted the mirrors and the noise changed a little bit, did not stop just the pitch changed. I concluded that the noise comes from there.

Again, I believe this car is so freaking quiet that like lots of people are saying, your ears become so fine tune that every little noise will call your attention. I was doing 70-90 and that is when I noticed the wind noise. Put the radio on on 21 and the noise was gone.

I guess we have to get used to such a quiet car.
Old 12-11-06, 02:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I agree, but I was talking about stock ER 33 or whatever the OEM Bridgestones were. My 430 had a near new set of those on it when I got it, and that's what I was mostly comparing to. I only mentioned "right tires" because I have heard that some of the OEMs got kind of noisy, particularly when they got older, and the 460 definitely has new tires on it at this point.

Again, I generally agree, with the possible exception of the Sport Suspension 430. It's been almost a year since I drove one, but my recollection was that it handled pretty decently, and perhaps even better than the 460 that I drove. But even though that's stock to stock, it's a little apples-and-oranges because it's comparing the Sport 430 and the 460L on the more "grandpa" tires/wheels/suspension. With both on an equivalent OEM setup (softest suspension/tire setup, or Sport/Touring Pkg) I think you're right -- the 460 is probably an improvement.

I'd be interested in having other LS owners or GS owners drive my car and see what they think of it. The more I drive it on the Tein CS and the aftermarket tires/wheels, the more l am impressed with it. I especially like the steering feel, and that's not something that one would normally list as a positive attribute for a Lexus. Or maybe I'm crazy....
put it this way man. i am so used to driving my gs400 with all the suspensions and wheels setup, i drove stock gs several times and almost crashed several times as well. so everything is in perspective i am sure. and since i use the tein cs as well, i can totally imagine how nice your ls430 drives now

to me? i can't wait to see the ls600hl with the ****. i think that car is going to handle sick, seeing how the gs450h does with that option
Old 12-13-06, 05:37 AM
wwilkens
Driver School Candidate

I have 1600 miles and noticed it from day 1...............haven't been back to the dealer yet......I did notice that it goes away when it's raining
Old 12-14-06, 04:08 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The wind noise is there, yes. But the only reason you can hear it is because the car is vault-like quiet. My wife has a Nissan Murano and when I drive it after driving the Lexus I can really tell the difference, the Lexus is absurd quiet.

Maybe in the future they'll offer some kind of better door wheather strip. It's a catch 22 I believe because if they use beffier materials for the door gaskets to eliminate wind whisper they would probably have to redesign the electric motors that close the doors, as they would have to have more torque.

The wind whisper doesn't bother me at all, though. Mark Levinson takes care of it.
Old 12-18-06, 06:45 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
The wind noise is there, yes. But the only reason you can hear it is because the car is vault-like quiet. My wife has a Nissan Murano and when I drive it after driving the Lexus I can really tell the difference, the Lexus is absurd quiet.
LOL It's one of the quietest cars in the world, so I guess discussing this level of noise is a bit of nit picking. I have a '97 Volvo 850T5 beater that is still sitting around simply because I've been too lazy to clean it up and sell it after buying the GX470 earlier this year. Once in a while I drive the Volvo and then when I get back in the LS or GX, I REALLY appreciate them all over again. That, and renting cars when I travel really puts the Lexus vehicles into perspective. I think we tend to take them for granted a bit sometimes....

Last edited by I6turbo; 12-18-06 at 06:49 AM.