LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 exhaust fake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 11:25 AM
tmeg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS460 exhaust fake?

I a recent test of the LS some car magazine wrote, that the good looking exhausts of the LS are fake. Is this true? Where is the "smoke" going out?
Old 12-06-06, 11:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Those are like exhaust covers on the outside but the smoke still comes out from them - Take a peek inside next time & you can see them
Old 12-06-06, 11:42 AM
tmeg
Driver School Candidate

OK, so they not fake, like they said. It seem they still try to find some thing to write bad things about the LS here in Europe, even if it is far streched.
The LS is not yet available in Germany, so I could not have a look
Old 12-06-06, 01:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since it's "fake," ask the car magazine guy to stare into them while you floor the accelerator
Old 12-06-06, 03:29 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by enigma888
Since it's "fake," ask the car magazine guy to stare into them while you floor the accelerator

Old 12-06-06, 06:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Yup, nice smiley too btw.
Old 12-06-06, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tmeg
OK, so they not fake, like they said. It seem they still try to find some thing to write bad things about the LS here in Europe, even if it is far streched.
The LS is not yet available in Germany, so I could not have a look
well, i guess sometimes they have to find something to write about
Old 12-07-06, 06:37 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love those covers! Talking about class!
Old 12-07-06, 07:55 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I saw a LS460L yesterday. The exhaust isn't fake, but those square-shaped things are inserts in the bumper (guess one purpose for the insert besides looks is so the exhaust doesn't melt the bumper!). From behind, you can see the round tail pipe enter the insert. My impression is toyota should have welded on a rectangular-shaped end to the tail pipe that fits tighter inside the insert (this may, however, become a source for rattling). It just looks a little cheesy seeing that round tail pipe enter the insert.
Old 12-07-06, 09:05 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I saw a LS460L yesterday. The exhaust isn't fake, but those square-shaped things are inserts in the bumper (guess one purpose for the insert besides looks is so the exhaust doesn't melt the bumper!). From behind, you can see the round tail pipe enter the insert. My impression is toyota should have welded on a rectangular-shaped end to the tail pipe that fits tighter inside the insert (this may, however, become a source for rattling). It just looks a little cheesy seeing that round tail pipe enter the insert.
All things considered, I don't like the exhaust thingies in the bumper either. Neither do I like exhaust "tips" that are clamped onto a smaller tailpipe. IMO, the only good looking exhaust tip/outlet is one that is functional instead of merely ornamental/ricey. If the outlet is 3", 4", 6", or whatever, the exhaust pipe should be that size as well, instead of the tip simply flaring out or being clamped onto a smaller pipe. Just a pet peeve of mine.....
Old 12-07-06, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
All things considered, I don't like the exhaust thingies in the bumper either. Neither do I like exhaust "tips" that are clamped onto a smaller tailpipe. IMO, the only good looking exhaust tip/outlet is one that is functional instead of merely ornamental/ricey. If the outlet is 3", 4", 6", or whatever, the exhaust pipe should be that size as well, instead of the tip simply flaring out or being clamped onto a smaller pipe. Just a pet peeve of mine.....
I agree. I REALLY like the new LS, but I know I'm in a minority on here in not being a fan of the flush stylized exhaust tips on the LS.
Old 12-07-06, 08:50 PM
LexFather

I love the exahust look. The chrome surround is not the acutal tip. If you look closely in some pics, you will see the traditional circular exhaust inside that chrome piece.
The Pontiac GTP or Acura TL with the squarish exhaust is an actual part of the exhaust.
Old 12-07-06, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am a bit mixed on the exhaust chrome trims. i actually don't prefer them, i would rather see quad exhaust (ones that we have seen), more aggressive and still nice if they use chrome tips.

but given the car as is, i don't think they make the car looks "ugly". still very elegant and a little sense of aggressiveness.
Old 12-08-06, 10:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

It would look funny to have quad integrated exhausts.

Actually I like the integrated dual exhausts on the LS 460, a lot of us thought that would not have made it from concept to production. Very distinctive IMO.

Although you don't always see it, depends on the angle.
Old 12-10-06, 07:38 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I doubt the exhaust is going to matter anyway once the aftermarket exhausts start coming out..

Quick Reply: LS460 exhaust fake?