LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

3M Bra inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 02:53 PM
jotafl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the hood before I took it this morning.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Bra inquiry-jota-fl-3m-bra-hood-before.jpg  
Old 12-12-06, 02:55 PM
jotafl
Driver

This is the hood after installation, as you can see by the arrows, it is very hard to see the line. Be adviced, in order for me to be able to show the lines I had to take a picture with dark room and flash on.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Bra inquiry-jota-fl-3m-bra-hood.jpg  
Old 12-12-06, 02:57 PM
jotafl
Driver

This is the left side view, again, very hard to see the line. The picture shows like 2 different colors, but the fact is that the flash when is reflected in metal and plastic it will show different hues/brightness, when you see the in person, it looks same color.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Bra inquiry-jota-fl-3m-bra-left-side.jpg  
Old 12-12-06, 02:59 PM
jotafl
Driver

Another left side view.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Bra inquiry-jota-fl-3m-bra-left-side2.jpg  
Old 12-12-06, 03:00 PM
jotafl
Driver

This is a view of the left mirror.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Bra inquiry-jota-fl-3m-bra-left-mirror.jpg  
Old 12-12-06, 03:01 PM
jotafl
Driver

Another view of the left mirror. Be advised that this picture was zoom in with macro on, so you can see even at super zoom the line is not that bad.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Bra inquiry-jota-fl-3m-bra-left-mirror2.jpg  
Old 12-12-06, 03:17 PM
jotafl
Driver

BTW I do recommend Jim for a job well done, if you are in South Florida and want to contact Jim you can do a search on google for "The invisibra" and you will find the link to his website. Ciaooo.
Old 12-12-06, 05:13 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jotafl
Okay gang, what a busy day, got up early this morning to clean the front of the car to make sure I didn't have any chips or scratches and I did have one in top of the fog light, I guess it happened last night driving home, and was going less than 70mph . It is not bad at all (really tiny).

Went to Jim's house to do the installation, first time I met this guy, what a nice guy. He have a nice machine that cuts the 3M product to your car specification and he started cleaning the whole front again. This guy is very picky and did a great job making sure that he cleaned the car perfect for installation. BTW: If you are planning on installing this material, do not, again, do not wax your car until after the product is install since the material will not stick to a waxed car. The person can remove the wax but it is a pain in the neck. I did not wax the car but he was telling me about it.

It took him aproximately 2 1/2 hours to do the left/right/hood/both mirros/and the lights and fog lights.

He did a great job. You have to have lots of patience to do this type of work and be good at it.

I am very happy with the product and as Leslie said in the post, I am sure the line will become invisible. Inside the garage you can't hardly see it and I am sure at night will be very dificult to see the line. During the day when you look at it from 3 feet or less and you are in a special angle you can see the line but other than that it is hard to see. And if you see the line, SO WHAT? You are doing this for you and your car and as long as you are happy with the results and the purpose, the rest is history.

Next, I will post few pictures with the product on it, it is hard to see it. You can also go to the gallery and see the full pictures which I will upload in a few minutes.

Thanks for all the advices.

-J-
You won't regret having the clear bra on your LS460. In addition to the peace of mind you will now have when driving, you'll be amazed at how easily you can remove the bugs your hood encounters when crusing at 70 mph! You can also apply car wax and detailers' polish on your bra as well.

I saw the pictures. Great color! Your guy certainly did an excellent job!
Old 12-12-06, 06:23 PM
jotafl
Driver

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
You won't regret having the clear bra on your LS460. In addition to the peace of mind you will now have when driving, you'll be amazed at how easily you can remove the bugs your hood encounters when crusing at 70 mph! You can also apply car wax and detailers' polish on your bra as well.

I saw the pictures. Great color! Your guy certainly did an excellent job!
Thanks Leslie, I know the feeling. Finally I was able to drive the car a little hard today w/o being afraid of getting chip or bad bugs in my car.

70 mph LOL

Later
Old 12-12-06, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats on the install on your car, very nice

take a look at it under bright sunlight during the day, i bet it's pretty invisible as well
Old 12-13-06, 05:16 AM
jotafl
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
congrats on the install on your car, very nice

take a look at it under bright sunlight during the day, i bet it's pretty invisible as well
I noticed that you have to be at a certain angle to be able to see it like if you are looking from the front, you can't see it and only from the side you can notice the line. Jim told me that after 30-60 days it gets much better (cured) and then it gets harder to see.
Old 12-13-06, 06:53 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

jotafl ,
I installed the 3M material myself on my 2006 GS430 about a year ago. I find it very helpful. You can clean the wax off the paint buy using detergent like Palmolive sink soap and wiping it down good with rubbing alcohol. Very important to have a clean surface.
The hardest part to do is the bumper. Did you have that done? I did not notice that in your post. “patience” lol. I wanted to give up several times on the bumper. Try wrapping Cellophane around a basketball. That is what it is like. Other parts of the car no problem. Sometimes it looks like it may be yellowing some. May just be the light though. Looks like he did a good job on the mirrors.
Old 12-13-06, 07:03 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3M clear bra on my ES350, silver in color. I cannot see the lines unless I really get up close. Maybe because it is a lighter color. I also have it on my side mirrors and headlights. Installed by a Lexus dealer for $650. I recommend it highly if you do a lot of highway driving like myself.
Old 12-13-06, 08:57 AM
jotafl
Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
jotafl ,
I installed the 3M material myself on my 2006 GS430 about a year ago. I find it very helpful. You can clean the wax off the paint buy using detergent like Palmolive sink soap and wiping it down good with rubbing alcohol. Very important to have a clean surface.
The hardest part to do is the bumper. Did you have that done? I did not notice that in your post. “patience” lol. I wanted to give up several times on the bumper. Try wrapping Cellophane around a basketball. That is what it is like. Other parts of the car no problem. Sometimes it looks like it may be yellowing some. May just be the light though. Looks like he did a good job on the mirrors.
GS, I did have it installed on the front bumber, it was very hard and he spent 1 1/2 hour there alone but he did a very nice pro job.

What do you mean by "clean the wax off the paint"? I believe that you can and should wax the 3M material. Are you talking about the wax that accumulates on the line itself? I do use Dawn before I apply a new wax coat on the car (Zaino bros). Hopefully mine will not turn yellow since the car is so white that you will be able to notice it from far away. Will see.

Take care.
Old 12-13-06, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jotafl
GS, I did have it installed on the front bumber, it was very hard and he spent 1 1/2 hour there alone but he did a very nice pro job.

What do you mean by "clean the wax off the paint"? I believe that you can and should wax the 3M material. Are you talking about the wax that accumulates on the line itself? I do use Dawn before I apply a new wax coat on the car (Zaino bros). Hopefully mine will not turn yellow since the car is so white that you will be able to notice it from far away. Will see.

Take care.
he was talking about preping the surface for clear bra. technically should try to remove all wax before applying

afterwards, of course, you can clean and wax and polish all you want

Quick Reply: 3M Bra inquiry