LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AutoExpress (U.K.) gives new Lexus LS 460 3 out 5 stars

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 07:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rilot
To be honest I'm not sure what they are on about. I live in the UK and subscribe to Autoexpress magazine and that artical had me scratching me head.

A BMW 750i SE which is a direct competitor to the LS460 is actually more expensive than the Lexus and has less kit. The MB S500 is even more pricey than the BMW.

I think it comes down to brand kudos. Lexus just doesn't have the premium image in the UK that is does in the US and so UK buyers aren't willing to pay a premium price. When I swapped my Audi A8 for my GS430 there were many confused faces in the office. They couldn't understand why I would want to swap my magnificent Audi for a Toyota. This rings true with the residuals. A GS430 for example looses 37% of it's new price in the first year alone.

People in the UK seem happy to put up with shoddy service, unreliable cars and poor build quality in oder to drive a badge around. In the UK the Lexus badge doesn't have the same attraction as Audi, MB, BMW and dare I say it VW. We are changing but it's a slow process.
great post!
Old 12-13-06, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rilot
To be honest I'm not sure what they are on about. I live in the UK and subscribe to Autoexpress magazine and that artical had me scratching me head.

A BMW 750i SE which is a direct competitor to the LS460 is actually more expensive than the Lexus and has less kit. The MB S500 is even more pricey than the BMW.

I think it comes down to brand kudos. Lexus just doesn't have the premium image in the UK that is does in the US and so UK buyers aren't willing to pay a premium price. When I swapped my Audi A8 for my GS430 there were many confused faces in the office. They couldn't understand why I would want to swap my magnificent Audi for a Toyota. This rings true with the residuals. A GS430 for example looses 37% of it's new price in the first year alone.

People in the UK seem happy to put up with shoddy service, unreliable cars and poor build quality in oder to drive a badge around. In the UK the Lexus badge doesn't have the same attraction as Audi, MB, BMW and dare I say it VW. We are changing but it's a slow process.
very interesting post coming from someone in the UK. hopefully lexus can build up good enough of a brand image in the UK soon