LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

XM Traffic Avoidance experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 09:59 AM
scott rand
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Traffic Avoidance experience?

I just got back from a week long ski trip (1600 miles)to Utah which really gave me a great chance to try everything in the car - awesome. One thing that I noticed was that although the nav/traffic system notified me of upcoming traffic problems, it did not suggest any alternative routing. My understanding was that it would "ask" you whether you wanted to re-route if you had that box checked in the menu (I do). I ran into several traffic slowdowns and stops but the system never asked about or suggested a reroute - has anyone else had this feature work?
Scott
Old 12-15-06, 01:06 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the auto re-route unchecked on the menu as I didn't want it to send me off on excursions. So I haven't used that feature yet. The way I used it was when it notified me of stopped traffic upcoming on my route then I veered off course and navigated my own way around it and the system kept attempting to re-route me back on course.
Old 12-15-06, 03:05 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VelvetBlue
I have the auto re-route unchecked on the menu as I didn't want it to send me off on excursions. So I haven't used that feature yet. The way I used it was when it notified me of stopped traffic upcoming on my route then I veered off course and navigated my own way around it and the system kept attempting to re-route me back on course.
OT,

Damn, Mark, out of all CL members I know I should have guessed you will be acquiring a LS460.... nice.....
Old 12-15-06, 03:21 PM
jotafl
Driver

Originally Posted by scott rand
- has anyone else had this feature work?
Scott
Scott, I am using the NAV/TRAF all the time and it is turned on so it will give me alt route. So far it hasn't. However a friend of mine told me that the other day there was an accident on I-95 on his way home and the device adviced him that there was stop and go traffic for the next 10 miles and it did ask him if he want it to reroute. Not sure if he elected to do so or proceeded in his route.

I get lots of stop and go traffic and the device is very accurate but my stops and goes are not more than 4 miles, so I am not sure if they have to be a specific amount of miles before it will ask you if you want to reroute or not.
Old 12-15-06, 05:32 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
OT,

Damn, Mark, out of all CL members I know I should have guessed you will be acquiring a LS460.... nice.....
Thanks, dude. I think this one's a keeper. At least for a couple of years anyway.
Old 12-15-06, 10:13 PM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Isystem never asked about or suggested a reroute - has anyone else had this feature work?
Scott

There is an option in MENU/XM NAVTRAFFIC which allows you to turn on "Auto Avoid Traffic" The default appears to be off.
Old 12-15-06, 10:32 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, dude. I think this one's a keeper. At least for a couple of years anyway.
richhhhhhh lol

nice car list there, im very envious
Old 12-15-06, 10:41 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrynsh
There is an option in MENU/XM NAVTRAFFIC which allows you to turn on "Auto Avoid Traffic" The default appears to be off.
^^This is the answer. /thread.
Old 12-15-06, 10:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i hate to say mark, but i will check with you again next yr
Old 12-17-06, 10:18 AM
scott rand
Driver School Candidate

Just to clarify, I do have the menu item checked to allow re-route but still havent gotten potential re-route options from the nav system. I do agree however, that the traffic "warnings" work well and at least get you prepared for the delay or allow you to consider re-routes yourself.
Old 12-17-06, 02:27 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Just to clarify, I do have the menu item checked to allow re-route but still havent gotten potential re-route options from the nav system. I do agree however, that the traffic "warnings" work well and at least get you prepared for the delay or allow you to consider re-routes yourself.
Do you have a destination input? Maybe if you put in a destination, it will find another way to get there. If you are just looking at the Nav and seeing problem areas, it does not tell you to go another way unless it knows where you are going.

I really don't know anything about the Nav yet as the manual is a freaking book.

Just a thought.................
Old 12-17-06, 03:04 PM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

dfiorito: I bet you are right on. If you don't have a destination put in, the Nav has no way of telling if you are planning to go straight to where the hang up is, or if you are planning to get off at the next exit anyway.
Old 12-19-06, 05:47 PM
jotafl
Driver

I agree, so far from my experience is that you have to have a destination, if not, you will get no reroute automatically for you. I still have not received a reroute but as I said before, the delays are usually no more than 4 miles.

If you have no destination the Nav will still show you the problem spots.
Old 12-20-06, 08:40 AM
scott rand
Driver School Candidate

I definitely had a destination set - for all of the 1600 miles. And of the 10 or so traffic alerts the nav gave me over that time, there were no re-route options offered....
Old 12-20-06, 10:28 AM
jotafl
Driver

Scott, if I get a reroute I will definetely see what type of delays were there before the reroute and will post a reply.

Quick Reply: XM Traffic Avoidance experience?