LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LWB or SWB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06 | 11:34 PM
vanlex
Rookie

Default LWB or SWB?

Hello, new to the Board and considering the new LS. Sounds just phenomenal.

In your own deliberations, what caused you to choose the LWB model over the SWB or vice-versa? The size and price differences being obvious, what were your other rationales?

I am leaning toward the Big Dog but hesitate on issues such as parking (tight parallel spots otherwise possible with the SWB; the length of my garage; etc), handling/performance, overall necessity, eventual resale...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Last edited by vanlex; 12-22-06 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-23-06 | 12:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

First of all, I think the car looks better in LWB, plus there are options available in the LWB that are not available for the SWB model, such as the AVS air suspension, the more sportily tuned Touring Package etc.

There are no evidence of any significant difference in handling, especially with the AVS option & the Touring Package for the LWB, it should handle better than the SWB, but the LWB will be a little heavier with the 4 1/2 inches in extra length & the extra equipment you can put in it. This could also mean the SWB model will retain their value slightly better, since more options usually mean more depreciation, many options don't hold their value too well.

Can't really comment on necessity of the LWB since rear seat space/comfort/options depend on the needs & wants of different buyers, but luxury cars in this class is about excess, I personally would like almost all the options available with maybe one or two exceptions(not sure about the executive package for example). I am almost certain I would want the LWB model.
As for parking, I wouldn't worry much about the extra length of the LWB, it's a non issue if you don't usually need to parallel park much, which is true in my case, I don't usually go to places where I need to parallel park on the streets anyway.
Old 12-23-06 | 06:59 AM
Hartmonstr
Driver School Candidate

The decision for me was easy - the LWB was too long for my garage. The RWB I did get has every available option for that model, none of which I regret having. Since many of the LWB-only options are for the back seat (including the extra legroom, of which there is already plenty in the RWB), I haven't been disappointed at all. I might have sprung for the leather upgrade and the air suspension had it been available, but those weren't deal-killers.

You will love either version.
Old 12-23-06 | 08:20 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

As mentioned, the AVS air suspension is for some reason only available in the L version and that was a "must have" for me. From a size standpoint the SWB would have been sufficient but it did not have available some of the key performance elements that are available in the L. The Lexus website does a good job of showing what options are available for each version so you can see what's important to you.
Old 12-25-06 | 03:33 PM
vanlex
Rookie

Thanks all. Browsing Lexus.ca, it seems that the Touring Package is simply that, and the multitude of amenities available in alternative packages must be given up. Shame!

Does a guy swallow hard, order the Executive Package and wait for coil-overs to be offered by the aftermarket?

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-06 | 11:08 PM
Patric
Pole Position

And considering all the manufacturers out there that offer the rear DVD player, it amazes me you have to buy the LWB to get one on the LS.

Even my 95 LS400 has air suspension which I really like but I would never buy a new LWB to have it now.

Perhaps these two features will trickle down to the SWB in a year or two.

Pat
Old 12-26-06 | 08:58 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I cant answer the garage question because they all vary, but I have a LWB 7series and from a practical standpoint it wasnt that much of an adjustment from my previous GS. The parking sensors REALLY help alot.
Old 12-26-06 | 09:04 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I too hope the SWB will get more of the features only available on the LWB but I think it may be years before that happens. But for most intents and purposes the SWB has enough features.
Old 12-28-06 | 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

to me the lwb looks a lot better, whereas honestly i think the swb looks a bit out of ratio. the lwb looks more classy and larger. and of course, as mentioned, a lot of the options that i want are not even on the swb, so that's pretty much the biggest reason why i put off the swb for now