LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I bought my second LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 10:11 AM
ghmundt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought my second LS460

After shipping our first LS460 off to Russia and lend/leasing an S550 for month only to find out it isn't the perfect car either, I have bought another LS460. The dealer taking pity on me gave me a $5000 discount! I am still concerned about the mushy ride, but am thinking about a simple step to try to improve it: swap out the crappy OEM Bridgestones for some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I put the Michelins on my SC430 and they made a huge difference in that car. While the OEMs on the LS460 can't be as bad as the OEM runflats on the SC430, I still think upgrading the tires could make a nice difference on the LS. What do you guys think?
Old 12-31-06, 11:58 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghmundt
After shipping our first LS460 off to Russia and lend/leasing an S550 for month only to find out it isn't the perfect car either, I have bought another LS460. The dealer taking pity on me gave me a $5000 discount! I am still concerned about the mushy ride, but am thinking about a simple step to try to improve it: swap out the crappy OEM Bridgestones for some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I put the Michelins on my SC430 and they made a huge difference in that car. While the OEMs on the LS460 can't be as bad as the OEM runflats on the SC430, I still think upgrading the tires could make a nice difference on the LS. What do you guys think?
I have the Pilot AS on one car and PS2's on another. Go with the PS2's. They are more comfortable and grip better. The best all around tire money can buy.
Old 12-31-06, 01:13 PM
ghmundt
Driver

In reading about the PS2 at the Tire Rack, it is described as a summer only tire. I need more of an all season tire.
Old 12-31-06, 02:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I suppose you don't want to consider a LWB LS at all even if it's available with the more sportily tuned suspension with AVS which are not available with the SWB ?
Old 12-31-06, 03:13 PM
ghmundt
Driver

This is for my wife and she finds the LWB a little too big and imposing. I see LS460s coming in with both Bridgestones and Dunlaps, Which are the better tires?
Old 12-31-06, 04:12 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

bridgestones, my grandpas got em and they ride GREAT
Old 12-31-06, 06:26 PM
2JZ_SC300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd like to know where you work and can afford two $70,000 - $80,000 cars.
You part of the red mafia..considering you shipped one to russia?
Old 12-31-06, 06:45 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

They say the PS2 is a summer tire? I didn't know that. i know that they are great down here all year long.
Old 01-01-07, 10:12 AM
Mallory H.
Driver

Default Bridgestone EL42

I would advise you to not switch your tires for the Michelin PS2 which is a W speed rated tire. It is better to keep the original equipment tire so your option
would be to go with the Dunlop tire but I really don't think that is going to satisfy you because the ride you are looking for comes with the supension package that is offered on the LWB model.
The michelin PS2 is also a Directional tire which must be rotated differently
than others tires. If a car does not have a Sport Supension set up I do not recommend this tire.
I would say just drive the car a little longer and give the car a chance to brake in and settle in, even new tires need to be worn some before you can really get a good feel as to how they perform and how much road noise they will transmitt. I have found that allot of people are just having a hard time getting adjusted to the low profile performance tire they do take some getting use to but in time you will find that over all it is a better tire for todays Sport Luxury Sedans.
When I got my LS460 I was so busy trying to analyze it and compare it to all the ratings and reviews and trying to keep from getting hit that I just was not feeling the car. The next day I got in the car and just drove the car, just let loose and for me it made all the difference in the world.
Just take some time and enjoy the car. If you really did what you said you did
may be you will trade for the Rolls Royce Sport Sedan.
Good Luck and Happy Motoring
Old 01-01-07, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
They say the PS2 is a summer tire? I didn't know that. i know that they are great down here all year long.
the ps2 is definitely summer tires. very good grib, but for daily driving it wears out too fast. i have the pilot sport a/s and i can't be happier
Old 01-01-07, 12:19 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you go about shipping your car to Russia? Didn't you say that you had a middleman? How did you ensure you got paid? Can you give me some details on the process?
Old 01-01-07, 02:20 PM
ghmundt
Driver

I posted the LS on cars.som. A guy with a heavy Russian accent from Brooklyn called and said he wanted to buy the car for export if I had the title in my name and in hand which I did. I faxed it to him, he wired me the money and flew to Chicago to pick up the car. I made sure I had good funds in my account before I gave him the car and title. Never accept certified or cashiers checks, too much fraud, only take a wire. Evidently there are some pending changes in the export/import laws raising duties substantially so there has been a rush to export high demand cars from the US where they are sold much cheaper than in most of the rest of the world. In fact. someone has their slightly damaged LS460 listed on ebay now for export.
Old 01-02-07, 08:56 AM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Kind of ironic that you bought another one after all the bashing you gave it in several other threads.
Old 01-02-07, 03:12 PM
ghmundt
Driver

It is very ironic, but if you are married, you know marriage is filled with irony. It also says the perfect, for everyone, big lux car is not there yet. I think as the Lexus product people read the feedback on the first year of the car, they will make some adjustments and also give buyers a wider range of options, like air, touring or sport suspension on the SWB, to try to please a broader range of customers.
Old 01-02-07, 03:17 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

At least you are man enough to admit you may have made a mistake. Good luck the second time around.

Quick Reply: I bought my second LS460