LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Person traded in Bentley for 2 LS 460s!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 12:15 AM
LexFather

Exclamation Person traded in Bentley for 2 LS 460s!?

Was reading another forum and saw this. Pretty cool!

Here's my take: Lexus dealers frequently have folks walking in and trading near new cars. Acura dealers seldom see near new cars being traded. These same folks trading near new cars have tons of money and don't think twice about losing big bucks on their trade in. They just want what they want. For example, there was a brand new Bentley in the showroom only a few months old that was traded in for two (2) LS 460s. As a result, Lexus dealers frequently may have less invested in a used RL than an Acura dealer. A second aspect to consider is the Acura dealer is trying to move new RLs so as to avoid getting chewed-on by the regional factory representative. Discounting the used RLs pulls away new RL sales if the used/new price differential gets too large. Additionally, it sends a negative signal to prospective new RL buyers that the car depreciates rapidly. In short, the Acura dealer is juggling a number of *****, whereas the Lexus dealer just wants to move his non-Lexus used product by making a few bucks and getting on with focusing on Lexus selling activities.

Old 01-07-07, 12:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Lexus made it!!! hahahaha

Nice to see that people who can afford cars 10x more expensive can appreciate what Lexus has done with the newer generation cars. Hearing stuff like this is really amazing imo.

Just 18 years ago (??????) the most expensive Lex was about 35grand, now its about 100K and people have no problems trading in on arguably the most high profile luxo vehicles.

Last edited by GFerg; 01-07-07 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-07-07, 02:55 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats crazy. I mean I wonder what the car sales man was like when the Bentley guy pulled up and said "I wont a LS460, no....wait, make it 2, you can have my Bentley"
Old 01-07-07, 03:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, that was a funny trade, especially it's the new LS, top of the line lexus flagship
Old 01-07-07, 09:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice story

Wonder which Bentley was traded for 2 LS460's . I don't really care too much for the Bentley Continental Flying Spur sedan(love the coupe & convertible though), but I have to admit if I have the $$$, I'd rather have one each of the Bentley Arnage & the LS460L rather than 2 LS460's . . . alway love the Arnage, it's so regal looking & the interior is gorgeous.
Old 01-07-07, 09:45 AM
lexus111
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Was reading another forum and saw this. Pretty cool!

Here's my take: Lexus dealers frequently have folks walking in and trading near new cars. Acura dealers seldom see near new cars being traded. These same folks trading near new cars have tons of money and don't think twice about losing big bucks on their trade in. They just want what they want. For example, there was a brand new Bentley in the showroom only a few months old that was traded in for two (2) LS 460s. As a result, Lexus dealers frequently may have less invested in a used RL than an Acura dealer. A second aspect to consider is the Acura dealer is trying to move new RLs so as to avoid getting chewed-on by the regional factory representative. Discounting the used RLs pulls away new RL sales if the used/new price differential gets too large. Additionally, it sends a negative signal to prospective new RL buyers that the car depreciates rapidly. In short, the Acura dealer is juggling a number of *****, whereas the Lexus dealer just wants to move his non-Lexus used product by making a few bucks and getting on with focusing on Lexus selling activities.

I traded in my 2006 Acura RL for the 460LWB... My RL was a good car but not Great.... I took a bath on my RL because the Acura dealer was flooded with them and couldn't get rid of them. I bought the RL new for only $500.00 over actual invoice and was still a mess when I sold it. Upside down $7,000 even with almost 10% down when I bought it. I knew I would lose some with a quick turnaround but I couldn't believe that the best I could get was $4,000 under low bluebook.

Lexus has definitely won this battle.
Old 01-07-07, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lexus111
I traded in my 2006 Acura RL for the 460LWB... My RL was a good car but not Great.... I took a bath on my RL because the Acura dealer was flooded with them and couldn't get rid of them. I bought the RL new for only $500.00 over actual invoice and was still a mess when I sold it. Upside down $7,000 even with almost 10% down when I bought it. I knew I would lose some with a quick turnaround but I couldn't believe that the best I could get was $4,000 under low bluebook.

Sorry to hear about that. Welcome to Clublexus
Old 01-07-07, 10:03 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post Mike!
Old 01-07-07, 11:09 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of my friend's dad uses an LS as his daily driver and has a Bentley in the garage for special occasions.
Old 01-07-07, 11:16 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Was the RL that bad? Obviously, the Lexus is a huge step up, but is the Acura that awful? Just curious what your issues were with it.
Old 01-07-07, 11:30 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm wondering about that trade too. I'm pretty sure a Conti GT and it's big brother sedan cost around 180K. It may hold it's value but surely it's depreciated some. The new LS starts at 90K doesn't it? How could this trade work?
Old 01-07-07, 11:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I'm wondering about that trade too. I'm pretty sure a Conti GT and it's big brother sedan cost around 180K. It may hold it's value but surely it's depreciated some. The new LS starts at 90K doesn't it? How could this trade work?
Well, it doesn't have to be an even trade, more likely some $$ is involved too. BTW, the LS460 starts at low $60k's & the LS460L starts at low 70K's but can cost up to $90K+ . . . I would expect a Bentley owner would have traded for the loaded LS460L's though.

If it's me, I would go for a LS460L executive package with 4-seats configuration for $90K+, & a sportier LS460L Touring Package with the 5-seats configuration
Old 01-07-07, 01:27 PM
vanlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your candor, most guys will never fess up to the losses we incur in switching cars. I dare say you'll recapture the shortfall upon the ultimate resale of your Lex.
Old 01-07-07, 03:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also if you compare the Bentleys and Lexus cars, you would find that the Lexus LS is in some ways better engineered, smoother, and more capable than those ultra-luxury vehicles (although not in prestige). That's not just my opinion, a number of automobile journalists have suggested this. Even the latest Auto Express comparo of the S-class and LS suggested that no vehicles, ultra-luxury, luxury, or otherwise, could match the Lexus and Benz flagships for precision, engineering, etc.
Old 01-07-07, 03:47 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Well, it doesn't have to be an even trade, more likely some $$ is involved too. BTW, the LS460 starts at low $60k's & the LS460L starts at low 70K's but can cost up to $90K+ . . . I would expect a Bentley owner would have traded for the loaded LS460L's though.
About a month ago, my buddy and I went to JMLexus to test the LS460. While in the car with the salesman, my buddy asked me the price. I told him it would be similar to the last LS, between 60-70K. The salesman then replied that no, you couldn't get one for less than 90K. I said that must be dealer overpricing for the new mode;. The salesman said no, 90K is what the car goes for now and in the future. I doubted it but thought he knew what he was talking about and did not want to argue...especially since I wasn't buying one.
Glad to hear pricing is along the lines of what they have always been. We should be seeing more of us in them over the next couple years.

Quick Reply: Person traded in Bentley for 2 LS 460s!?