LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

It hurts so bad. (small fender bender)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 12:35 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It hurts so bad. (small fender bender)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I backed out of my driveway and right into my neighbor's SUV. There was a loud bang and my heart jumped through my throat.

It was dark and raining and I could not see any damage. When I got to work and checked it out, there was a minor scratch. Hopefully when I see the car tonight after it is all dried up, it will still look minor.

I called my neighbor and told them what happened. They called me back and said there was not damage to their car.

With all the darn gadgets, I still hit the freaking car. I know I did not check the camera, the window or the rearview mirror after I confirmed there was no cars, or people coming. I just failed to see the car across the street.

It was bound to happen anyway. I had not a scratch, a dent, a ding. Not even birdsh?t. Now I have a scratched LS460L. Oh well, a virgin not more.
Old 01-08-07, 02:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What bad luck!

I hope this is all the bad luck you'll have in the car.

We're your parking sensors turned off, or were you just really sleepy this morning?
Old 01-08-07, 03:45 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same question. Didn't the parking sensors make the "flatline" sound?
Old 01-08-07, 03:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the incident, maybe you can get some touchup paint and hide most of the scratch. It's just the bumper and it did what it was supposed to do, absorb the impact (minor in this case). No biggie, the car's hopefully still fine.
Old 01-08-07, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh man very sad, sorry to hear that....

i would love to hear about the backup sensor part too. it comes with all cars with nav/rear camera right?
Old 01-09-07, 05:41 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Well - First of all, I posted awhile back when I got the car that I purchased an exterior protection something or other. Some people thought it was a rip because I paid about $1,500.00 for it.

I guess the protection worked because when I finally got a look at the damage in the light, it was not bad at all. In fact, the scratch is more of a ripple. Not sure how to explain except that it is a bump. Seems like the paint, or protector rippled upon impact. It doesn't look so bad and my neighbors SUV is pretty good to. They said it was like getting hit by a shopping cart and wrote it off. Nice of them.

It was such a loud bang I thought it would be worse.

now to the sensors and cameras. I know evertime I pull in or out of the driveway the sensors scream. I am too close to garbage cans, the bushes the car next to mine etc. etc. When I backed up my wife and I can not remember the sensors going off. I was not looking at the camera because I had already felt that I checked the road for cars and people. So the only thing I can think of is that I was traveling too fast. I know that I was not doing more then 5 or 10 mph, but I don't know if the sensors would have had enough warning. In other words, when you are consious of parking, or pulling up to something, you are going slow and waiting for the sensor to tell you to slow down, or stop. But when you are not aware that you are going to hit something, then I am not sure if you have enough warning time. I believe the sensors go off at 2 or 3 ft. So if I was going 5 mph, then it I am not sure the time before the impact and the warning the sensors gave off would have made a difference.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I think the shock of hitting something blurred my senses. My wife was in the car and she felt the same. No warning, or no warning we can remember.

As it turns out, everything is OK. I will show the repair shop when I bring it in for my 6 month service.
Old 01-09-07, 06:02 AM
jotafl
Driver

that sucks......especially the first one, that's the one that hurts the most. Glad it was not too bad. Im happy to see that the $1500 investments paid off. I too disregard the parking sensors when I am parking in my garage since they go off until I finish parking. I guess I will have to pay attention from now on since it can really happen even in your driveway.
Old 01-09-07, 09:02 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfiorito
Well - First of all, I posted awhile back when I got the car that I purchased an exterior protection something or other. Some people thought it was a rip because I paid about $1,500.00 for it.

I guess the protection worked because when I finally got a look at the damage in the light, it was not bad at all. In fact, the scratch is more of a ripple. Not sure how to explain except that it is a bump. Seems like the paint, or protector rippled upon impact. It doesn't look so bad and my neighbors SUV is pretty good to. They said it was like getting hit by a shopping cart and wrote it off. Nice of them.

now to the sensors and cameras. I know evertime I pull in or out of the driveway the sensors scream. I am too close to garbage cans, the bushes the car next to mine etc. etc. When I backed up my wife and I can not remember the sensors going off. I was not looking at the camera because I had already felt that I checked the road for cars and people. So the only thing I can think of is that I was traveling too fast. I know that I was not doing more then 5 or 10 mph, but I don't know if the sensors would have had enough warning. In other words, when you are consious of parking, or pulling up to something, you are going slow and waiting for the sensor to tell you to slow down, or stop. But when you are not aware that you are going to hit something, then I am not sure if you have enough warning time. I believe the sensors go off at 2 or 3 ft. So if I was going 5 mph, then it I am not sure the time before the impact and the warning the sensors gave off would have made a difference.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I think the shock of hitting something blurred my senses. My wife was in the car and she felt the same. No warning, or no warning we can remember.

As it turns out, everything is OK. I will show the repair shop when I bring it in for my 6 month service.

Please post a pic of the "ripple".
Old 01-09-07, 09:04 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Please post a pic of the "ripple".
I probably won't get a chance until the weekend.
Old 01-10-07, 07:58 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

now to the sensors and cameras. I know evertime I pull in or out of the driveway the sensors scream. I am too close to garbage cans, the bushes the car next to mine etc. etc.
Yeah same here, I hate those sensors beeping but they really come in handy when manuvering such a huge car!

Sorry about the ripple, good luck in the future.
Old 01-11-07, 04:58 PM
clambros
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be wearing my black arm band, in mourning
Old 01-11-07, 07:34 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

They said it was like getting hit by a shopping cart and wrote it off. Nice of them.
Not really - that's a nasty thing for them to say about your new LS.
Old 01-12-07, 07:42 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RandalR
Not really - that's a nasty thing for them to say about your new LS.
Not my car, their damage. They said no problem on the damage doen to their car.
Old 01-12-07, 05:16 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Not my car, their damage. They said no problem on the damage doen to their car.
I was making a joke.