LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sold my LS430, now I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 07:30 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sold my LS430, now I need some advice

I sold my LS430 today. I need to turn over the keys next Tuesday. So now I need to make a decision on the new car. My ideal car would be the LS460L Obsidian black/cashmere with the $85,947 option package.

After visiting five dealers this week the best discount I have been able to negotiate is $1,000 off sticker. The current dealer offered to give me the lease at the "buy" rate rather than the "sell" rate. When I asked what that means he said ".0275" rather than ".0325". I tried to wait long enough for him to give me the actual terms of the lease but I ran out of time.

There are a couple of dealerships in the area that all have inventory. My questions to ponder tonight are:

1) Black/cashmere, Black/Black, Silver/Black. All three are available at different dealers.

2) The $85,947 package versus the $80K package which does not have the pre-collision, rear seat upgrade and air suspension.

3) Whether I can get a better discount than $1,000 of MSRP, which almost seems like a joke to me, if I just wait.

I could potentially drive an extra vehicle that I have for a little while if it made sense to do so at no extra cost.

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice before I go back to the dealers again tomorrow and try to negotiate the deal.

I've been reading this forum for a year now to learn about this car, and the advice from all of you has really been great. Any input you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by exBMWowner; 01-12-07 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-12-07, 08:05 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1000 off MSRP is really a joke. You can get $2500-$4000 off MSRP of most of the other Lexus vehicles. How can they justify discounting so little for the most expensive car of the lineup? My parents got $3000 off MSRP(or $900 above invoice) for their 07 BMW 530i with premium and Navi. You should negotiate more or just wait until the hot for the LS460L cools down.
Old 01-12-07, 08:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
$1000 off MSRP is really a joke. You can get $2500-$4000 off MSRP of most of the other Lexus vehicles. How can they justify discounting so little for the most expensive car of the lineup? My parents got $3000 off MSRP(or $900 above invoice) for their 07 BMW 530i with premium and Navi. You should negotiate more or just wait until the hot for the LS460L cools down.
a joke? when a car is selling hot, why would they "need" to lower the price when people come and ASK for the car? the swb you can get more discount, but the lwb people are in line for the car
Old 01-12-07, 09:30 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
a joke? when a car is selling hot, why would they "need" to lower the price when people come and ASK for the car? the swb you can get more discount, but the lwb people are in line for the car
So the more patient people get the better deal and definitely a better car.
Old 01-13-07, 09:38 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
So the more patient people get the better deal and definitely a better car.
My bus. partner and I ordered 2 LS 460L in the mid. of October. I ordered Black/Black and he ordered Black/Cashmere. I got mine on Dec 16, he is still waiting and probably will not get it until March. So, there is no way a dealer in my area would offer any kind of discount. I'm also hearing that residual value on LS's went down by a few points, which will increase your lease payment. It used to be 57% and i think it's 55% now. You may get a discount on SWB, but I don't think we'll be seeing many discounts on LWB in the next 6 months. If you can get it, good luck. Your other option would be to wait.

Dmitry
Old 01-13-07, 09:53 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Originally Posted by dimapb
My bus. partner and I ordered 2 LS 460L in the mid. of October. I ordered Black/Black and he ordered Black/Cashmere. I got mine on Dec 16, he is still waiting and probably will not get it until March. So, there is no way a dealer in my area would offer any kind of discount. I'm also hearing that residual value on LS's went down by a few points, which will increase your lease payment. It used to be 57% and i think it's 55% now. You may get a discount on SWB, but I don't think we'll be seeing many discounts on LWB in the next 6 months. If you can get it, good luck. Your other option would be to wait.

Dmitry
That's interesting - I found the black/cashmere in stock at a local dealer and did not even place my name on the waiting list for a car. That is my preferred color combination.

They did quote me a 55% residual. The money factor was .0275. With first month down and transfer fees the monthly payment (not including tax) was $1487. If I put down a refundable $4500 security deposit it lowers the monthly payment to $1338 plus tax. Since the only opportunity cost of the $4500 is any lost interest on the money for three years (likely worth less than $1000), and the total savings on monthly payments is $5,364, it seems like a good way to go. The lease allows for 12,000 miles per year, .20/mile if I go over. Does that sound like a fair price for the car?
Old 01-13-07, 10:23 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exBMWowner
That's interesting - I found the black/cashmere in stock at a local dealer and did not even place my name on the waiting list for a car. That is my preferred color combination.

They did quote me a 55% residual. The money factor was .0275. With first month down and transfer fees the monthly payment (not including tax) was $1487. If I put down a refundable $4500 security deposit it lowers the monthly payment to $1338 plus tax. Since the only opportunity cost of the $4500 is any lost interest on the money for three years (likely worth less than $1000), and the total savings on monthly payments is $5,364, it seems like a good way to go. The lease allows for 12,000 miles per year, .20/mile if I go over. Does that sound like a fair price for the car?
Here is what I paid....
MSRP $81,076.00
57% residual
.0275 Money Factor
$2370 money down (including first payment )
---------------
Monthly payment - $1468 ( including taxes 5% )
Old 01-13-07, 10:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by exBMWowner
1) Black/cashmere, Black/Black, Silver/Black. All three are available at different dealers.
This is one of the few cars I don't care that much for in silver. I like the white, the dark greys, black, and probably a couple of others I can't think of right now.

2) The $85,947 package versus the $80K package which does not have the pre-collision, rear seat upgrade and air suspension.
I would not get an LS460L without the air suspension. Why have a 'dumb' one size fits all suspension when you can have an active one on a car this nice? The rear seat upgrade I could live without cuz I ain't gonna be a rear passenger and I ain't driving Miss Daisy.

3) Whether I can get a better discount than $1,000 of MSRP, which almost seems like a joke to me, if I just wait.
Depends how bad you want it and how good you can negotiate.

I could potentially drive an extra vehicle that I have for a little while if it made sense to do so at no extra cost.
See above.
Old 01-13-07, 11:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I would get the Touring Package with the sportier suspension & AVS if I am not going for the rear seat upgrades or Executive Package, but members of my family might like them & I am considering the LS partially for their benefit, so I am undecided on that yet.
I like the LS in black sapphire, smoky granite, Noble spinal mica & obsidian, basically the dark colors, although white isn't bad, especially with a good body kit. I don't care for silver at all with the LS460, it looks kinda boring to me(that's actually true for me with most cars).
Old 01-13-07, 07:22 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

I don't get it. If you are selling your LS430, why not use that money to purchase the LS460L in the combination you prefer.

Finance the balance and I am sure that your monthly payments will not be that high.

Also, the backseat upgrade is THE BEST money I have ever spent. Anyone and everyone comments on the console and all the features it has.

Good Luck
Old 01-14-07, 04:24 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Default Purchased it today

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! It was a weekend filled with anxiety trying to make a decision, but I went ahead and bought the car today. The final selection was:

LWB, Obsidian Black, Cashmere interior, $85,947 MSRP (all the options except the executive seating in the rear).

They took $1200 off the MSRP. Not what I was hoping for, but these cars are so popular that even getting them to $1200 off took all weekend. The final lease payments were $1417 per month plus tax with $2200 down to cover first month plus tax and title.

I've been looking around the dealers for 3 months now keeping my eye out on a black/cashmere car, but I did not want to try and reserve one because I knew it would likely mean paying MSRP and then hoping that one dealer got one in stock when I needed it. I really lucked out since the dealer that had one was only 30 minutes from my home and they had nobody waiting to buy the car, so they were somewhat motivated.

I left it there for them to detail tomorrow. It looked like there were some hairline scratches in the paint, but it might have just been residue from the plastic covering that comes with the car. They are going to deliver it tomorrow afternoon to me. I will take pictures when I can and post them.

I'm very excited to have some time to spend in the new car. I'm looking forward to playing with the XM traffic feature. I hit traffic every where I go. The music download should be a lot of fun too.

Thanks again for all your advice. I'll add my pictures to the roll call when I can get them uploaded!

Last edited by exBMWowner; 01-14-07 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 05:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Congratulations for the new LS , looking forward to see your pics
Old 01-14-07, 05:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got the desired black/cashmere combination! Hope you enjoy your car, and looking forward to the pics!

Old 01-14-07, 09:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Congratulations!!! AWESOME car!
Old 01-14-07, 10:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow congrats on your new car! awesome!

Quick Reply: Sold my LS430, now I need some advice