LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will the new LS460 become a major 'status' car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 03:27 PM
pionear
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will the new LS460 become a major 'status' car?

Like the Mercedes 600 series or the two door Bentley?

I just like the look of this car, and if I ever get my hands on some serious cash (no financing), I would definitely get one!
Old 01-16-07, 03:41 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, when they have the V12TT.. until then.. the LS600h is a good compromise.
Old 01-16-07, 04:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Well, that's not something I care about the least bit. I never buy cars or any other luxury items for status, I buy them only if I like them, & that's all that matters. Buy the new LS if you like it, but don't worry too much about it being a status symbol.

I for one is never impressed with people who likes to buy "status" products to show off, nor do I think people should care about whether themselves or others have them. They may look rich but can be living beyond their means & heavily in debt & not managing their finances responsibly, whereas some truly affluent people I know don't buy a lot of flashy luxury items & look relatively humble.
Old 01-16-07, 05:08 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt it.
Old 01-16-07, 05:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Well, that's not something I care about the least bit. I never buy cars or any other luxury items for status, I buy them only if I like them, & that's all that matters. Buy the new LS if you like it, but don't worry too much about it being a status symbol.

I for one is never impressed with people who likes to buy "status" products to show off, nor do I think people should care about whether themselves or others have them. They may look rich but can be living beyond their means & heavily in debt & not managing their finances responsibly, whereas some truly affluent people I know don't buy a lot of flashy luxury items & look relatively humble.
^^^
Absolutely true. However, a little more than 1%, I like a little status and prestige. I think the new LS is getting there, it certainly has a lot more distinction than any LS ever built. It is regarded as being as well-built if not better than the S-class, and short of ultra-luxury categories it that is the pinnacle of automotive status and prestige.

Last edited by encore888; 01-18-07 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-16-07, 08:19 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the LS600h is a good compromise.
just a compromise? lol what high standards you have.

everyone has to admit to buying a luxury car because of its prestige, just a tad. Its part of the purchase price
Old 01-16-07, 10:12 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
just a compromise? lol what high standards you have.
No I do not have high standard. The original thread was about "status" and when people think of status, they think of $$$. The S starts @ $140K and easily gets pass $200K and I don't even want to get into the Bentley. How much is the LS460?.. hope you get my point.
Old 01-17-07, 05:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
No I do not have high standard. The original thread was about "status" and when people think of status, they think of $$$. The S starts @ $140K and easily gets pass $200K and I don't even want to get into the Bentley. How much is the LS460?.. hope you get my point.
exactly... and it also depends on what your definition of major status car is - S600 is not an major status car if Bentley is its competition...
Old 01-17-07, 06:57 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
exactly... and it also depends on what your definition of major status car is - S600 is not an major status car if Bentley is its competition...
agree... status is "relative".. and the list goes on and on
Old 01-17-07, 08:21 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think status may infer money and privilege, and as such there are many other cars out there that are more expensive than the Lexus and thus greater "status" cars.

However, as for cool factor, I suspect the Lexus beats the S-class or 7-series because of all the new technology, and especially the self parking feature. We see Mercedes and BMW cars coming through our facility all day long and nobody gives them a second look, but when I drove up in the LS460 everyone wanted to check out the car that can park itself. The valet driver even left it on the street while I had lunch so that everyone could see it.
Old 01-18-07, 05:28 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by exBMWowner
...when I drove up in the LS460 everyone wanted to check out the car that can park itself.
I don't think the "self-parking" feature has anything to do with status. It is a gimmick. Did you see it demonstrated on the Today Show a few weeks ago? One of the "stars" was trying it out and couldn't even get it programmed to work. She tried it twice and the car just sat there....it never moved. A major embarassment for Lexus on national TV. I test drove the car when it was new and the salesman attempted to demonstrate the "self-parking car." It took him 5 minutes to program it before it would work....by that time every other car on the street would be blasting their horns at you to get out of the way. In my opinion it is Quality, Reliabilty, and Dependibility.....those are the things that sell Lexus and make it a "Status Car."
Old 01-18-07, 12:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Well it's a feature which, uncharacteristic for Lexus, you need training and can't operate it perfectly the first time.

It may be a gimmick but it is also an achievement that they have the technology that can do this. It helps the status of the car to say it's the first self-parking car. Overall it helps the status to say it has the most technologically advanced features of any car in the world, which is why it was named such by TRG research, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and now CNET Tech Car of the Year.
Old 01-18-07, 12:34 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real status potential here is to become a driver who can master the self parking system to the point where it actually works each time you use it. So far I've tried it six times and it has only successfully parked the car twice.

For all practical matters, this feature has no real purpose to it. Anyone who is capable of acquiring just the right finesse to be able program the system, know exactly where to park the car, and how to get everything just right for the system to work is surely capable of parking the car the old fashioned way.

However, just like mastering any other skill, there is something quite intriguing about getting to the point where I know enough about the system to be able to demonstrate it flawlessly when my friends want to see it, and so I've concluded that I am going to cotinue to practice and use the system whenever possible, but not because it provides any real value in making parking any easier, but simply because of the desire to say that I can make it work when people ask. Now that is a "status" I can get excited about!
Old 01-18-07, 12:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Sounds good to me!!! I myself like technowizardry, as long as there are options and free choice. Unlike iDrive, I am not forced to use the APGS, but I can if I want to (if I own the car LOL).
Old 01-18-07, 09:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

It's a nice car...status is relative. Tons of articles written about ones perceived image and the car driven... For me, it's how much does this person desire to show off. I do know people on both sides and while some may have exotic cars, the person I have in mind is modest about his garage...most those whom I know are pretty conservative and they tend not to display their financial status.

This was a nice read:
http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/to...lionaires.html

Last edited by RA40; 01-18-07 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Will the new LS460 become a major 'status' car?