LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus Link

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 08:58 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Link

Has anyone tried playing with the 2nd generation Lexus Link installed in the LS460? It seems like an interesting application. It's basically a cell phone integrated into the car along with GPS capabilities to pinpoint the location of the car in an emergency. You can speak with someone from Lexus Link by pushing a button in the car any time. When you call, they know who you are and greet you by your name. It's pretty cool.

The basic service included with the car only covers emergency assistance. The upgraded service includes driving directions, but I have not figured out why anyone would call Lexus for driving directions when you have the 5th generation navigation system installed in all but the most entry level of the LS460 models.

In addition, I seem to remember the first generation Lexus Link could be used for concierge services, like to make dinner reservations or buy concert tickets. I can't find any reference to being able to do this with the current version of Lexus Link. Is this intentional? Did the concierge features not prove to be appealing to Lexus owners?

Finally, with Lexus Link you are assigned a personal phone number, so that someone can call you through the system while you are in your car. I know this is not a big deal since you almost always carry a cell phone with you. But in case you forgot your cell phone, or the battery died, or it is out of signal range, it seems like this could be a useful backup if someone is trying to call you or you are trying to call someone in an emergency. There are some prepaid minute calling plans you need to purchase, but they are not monthly fees, just a price/minute of use, good for up to a year at a time.

It seems like Lexus Link has a lot of potential. Does anyone know more about where they are going with this technology and what we might expect from it in the future?
Old 01-16-07, 10:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Greet by name, wow that's cool. I think that the driving directions, etc. is just redundancy for the technologically-challenged.

I think others will have more input as Lexus Link wasn't available when we were in the market. Glad to see they have brought it back.
Old 01-17-07, 05:34 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used it. I had the battery die and they knew who I was and where I was. I also had a faulty piece of hardware in the Lexus Link system that needed to be replaced so I have had some dealings with them.

This concierge service is costly and probably not needed for the techno geeks but will help people who can not work out the nav system, or the phone system.

The thing I like about it is that if the airbags are deployed, they are notified and can track you and contact emergency services.

You can also use them for roadside assistance instead of looking for the number in your wallet or glove compartment, just hit the Lexus Link button. I know that is included in the free year. I do not know if I will renew at the end of the year. Still a far way off.

Not sure about Lexus Link, XM radio and XM Traffic. I guess depending on how much I use them will determine whether I renew them.

So far XM radio is Ok, but there are so many other music choices that I do not know if I want to pay for radio. Also, the XM Nav in my suburb is not really useful.

Time will tell.
Old 01-17-07, 06:54 AM
clambros
Driver

Funny thing .. Lexus Link is OEM telematics (AKA "OnStar" within GM owner circles) ..

As a Corvette owner, I have OnStar in my 2005 VERT. I have found the monthly diagnostic reports and remote vehicle diagnostics (the ability for the call center agent to read trouble codes from the car) somewhat useful.

I hope they develop Lexus Link to include some of those features .. but I'm sure time will tell. Not sure I would renew otherwise.
Old 01-17-07, 08:43 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

OEM Telematics recently discontinued the Concierge Plan for all of their OEM customers, including Lexus. the safety and security plans are not changed.
Old 01-17-07, 09:04 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Originally Posted by jjbodean
OEM Telematics recently discontinued the Concierge Plan for all of their OEM customers, including Lexus. the safety and security plans are not changed.
That is what I thought. Do you know why they discontinued the concierge services?
Old 01-17-07, 09:30 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

no, no reason given, wish i knew.

my guess, and ONLY a guess, is that they found it too expensive to offer and support this service when the subscription rate was extremely low.
Old 01-23-07, 05:55 AM
jotafl
Driver

I believe the safety plan is 199.00 a year which include all emergency assistance features. The directions plan (299.00 a year) includes the safety and also other features which as other users I can't seem to justify since with the 5th gen nav sys who needs someone to tell you how to get there when the car will do that already. The directions plans also includes the services of the link staff telling you restaurants in the area and also making hotel reservations if you need to stay overnight. IMHO I think the safety plan is all you need.

One thing about the inphone service, I was told that since the phone system is a satelite based system, it is always good to have a balance of minutes on your account in case you have an emergency and you have no cell service in that area. The GPS phone will always have coverage. At least thats what I was told by LexusLink.