LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Winter handling

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 05:20 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter handling

Hello,

I'm about to order my 460, but before I do, I was wondering how this car handles in snow? We don't get a LOT of snow here in Indianapolis, but we do get some (like today).

Is it a nightmare, or does the car handle well?

Jeff
Old 02-06-07, 05:44 PM
Hartmonstr
Driver School Candidate

I've always put snow tires on my cars up here in Wisconsin (currently Blizzaks all around), but I didn't set up my LS460 with any winter tires when I got it in late November. To date we have had quite a number of snow storms and the car has handled adequately, with the anti-slip and/or ABS light going on only once or twice.

That's not to say a proper winter tire setup wouldn't be better. There's nothing that inspires winter driving confidence more than the grip you get from a good set of snow tires. I will be installing them on the LS next season. My dealer will match any advertised price and will store them for me during the summer (which in Wisconsin is July and August ;-)

Of course, being able to stop and start quickly does not solve the problem of the idiots in front of and behind you who are sliding all over the place...
Old 02-06-07, 06:11 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Thanks! I grew up in Wisconsin and learned to drive with rear-wheel drive cars so it doesn't freak me out too much, but the last RWD car I had down here also had sport tires and the winter driving was a nightmare.

I've never had snow tires. I'll have to check into that if we get a bad winter.
Old 02-06-07, 06:45 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Congrats on the Colts win (from a Bear fan, orginally from Lake County, IN) and hope you enjoy your new LS. I have had mine for three months and about first of December, before any snow, put the Blizzak LM-25 winter tires on all around. No problems with traction as a result. The LM-25s are a high performance tire and a pleasure to drive on dry roads as well. I think they may be better handling tires than my OEM Bridgestones so I am not really anxious to take them off in the Spring.
Old 02-06-07, 07:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by hendjaz
Congrats on the Colts win (from a Bear fan, orginally from Lake County, IN) and hope you enjoy your new LS. I have had mine for three months and about first of December, before any snow, put the Blizzak LM-25 winter tires on all around. No problems with traction as a result. The LM-25s are a high performance tire and a pleasure to drive on dry roads as well. I think they may be better handling tires than my OEM Bridgestones so I am not really anxious to take them off in the Spring.
buy another pair of tires then, since winter tires wear off quickly in the spring/summer....
Old 02-07-07, 07:48 AM
dssxxxx
Driver School Candidate

Always use snows in the winter on my 430 and now my 460. Without them is a nightmare. Use on all 4 tires. In NJ.
Old 02-07-07, 03:20 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Default Ls460SWB winter driving

Jeff,
I live in Noblesville and work out of Indianapolis, it took me 4hrs to get home because of the snow last night. I was very pleased at the way my Ls460 performed last night, the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 that my car was equiped with handle the snow slick high way very well. I have own a rear wheel drive car every since they started coming back with rear wheel drive and have never had a set of winter tires, the all season tire has always worked well for me and I have driven in some hard snows.
Listening to the ML sound system and taking advantage of the brake hold feature made the 4 hr ride home very enjoyable, normaly get home in 30-45 mins. The LS460 is a piece of work I do not think you will be disappointed.
Old 02-07-07, 04:02 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
Jeff,
I live in Noblesville and work out of Indianapolis, it took me 4hrs to get home because of the snow last night. I was very pleased at the way my Ls460 performed last night, the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 that my car was equiped with handle the snow slick high way very well. I have own a rear wheel drive car every since they started coming back with rear wheel drive and have never had a set of winter tires, the all season tire has always worked well for me and I have driven in some hard snows.
Listening to the ML sound system and taking advantage of the brake hold feature made the 4 hr ride home very enjoyable, normaly get home in 30-45 mins. The LS460 is a piece of work I do not think you will be disappointed.
Great - thanks for the info! So no excessive fish-tailing or loss of control? And you didn't get stuck in any messy intersections spinning away and unable to move?

I hope I can get an 460. I want to get it soon, but Tom Wood Lexus isn't exactly what I'd call responsive.

Jeff
Old 02-07-07, 05:13 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Jeff,
absolutely no trouble at all, I did have to make to attempts of getting up my uncleared drive way 3"of snow but I did make it into my garage.
Why do you say Tom Wood is unresponsive and who is your sales person?
It does take some time to get a car because depending on how you want the car equiped and color combinations may determine how quickly you can get a car, it took 60 days to get my car and it would have taken 120 if I had waited on a special ordered car.
Good Luck
Old 02-09-07, 05:01 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Why do you say Tom Wood is unresponsive and who is your sales person?
It does take some time to get a car because depending on how you want the car equiped and color combinations may determine how quickly you can get a car, it took 60 days to get my car and it would have taken 120 if I had waited on a special ordered car.
I'm beginning to see how hard these cars are to come by! I wasn't aware that it took so long (relatively speaking) to get these cars. They must be good. I hope I have the patience to wait!
Old 02-10-07, 03:35 AM
Mallory H.
Driver

Default Hang In There

Hang in there Jeff, you may see the car sooner than you think. You know the old saying, "The best things in life are worth waiting for".
Old 02-12-07, 11:32 AM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Hang in there Jeff, you may see the car sooner than you think. You know the old saying, "The best things in life are worth waiting for".
Well, it looks like they located a Smokey Granite/Black Leather 460 for me, so I should have it soon!!

Let me know how you do in tomorrow's weather... it looks like we're in for a doozy of a storm.
Old 02-14-07, 11:08 AM
mcalbala
Driver School Candidate

Well, I just drove from JFK airport, and while the roads were very bad, the car handled quite well. I switched it into SNOW mode, which I know sacrifices some power, and the systems handled the snow quite well. Now if it can do something about other drivers who think snow is something not worthy of respect.
Old 02-15-07, 05:33 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in sales and handle a territories in the NE. My last three cars (525i, E, LS460) have all had rear wheel drive. The traction control systems in all of these cars has been great but snow tires have helped out a lot especially in the deeper stuff.