LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navigation Hack for Accessibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07, 10:24 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Navigation Hack for Accessibility

Has anyone been successful in hacking the new LS 460 to free up the navigation from greying out? I'm really mainly interested in the phone book being freed up while driving. I just got my car last week and was surprised that Lexus had chose the phone book to lock. I guess I would have been less surprised had they provided more than 20 voice mail tags which would enable to do total voice dialing for everyone. The only work arounds if you have used all your 20 voice tags and don't know the phone number to the person is to dial through your cell phone which is a lot more cumbersome and dangerous than the large phonebook display on the navigation. Of course, you could also completely stop somewhere to access the phone book, not call anyone else but whom you have voice tagged or if you know the phone number to "dail by number" but all of those options are not either convenient or possible (in the case where you don't know the phone number to dial by number). It's all about safety...I acknowledge Lexus efforts but if this is the case, many accidents occur while in heavy stop and go traffic where they allow you active selections on the navigation for "Detour", then you either select "avoid traffic" or "reroute" your trip.

I'm just hoping someone can discover a hack so at least the phone book is accessible. Please keep those of us interested informed!
Old 02-14-07, 07:46 PM
brravvo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im also having trouble searching for the overide hack.
Old 02-14-07, 09:28 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Visiting with a technology expert at a dealership last night, he mentioned that the old upper left-lower left hack doesn't work on the new system.
Old 02-15-07, 07:46 AM
dssxxxx
Driver School Candidate

You got approximately 18 one touch speed dials. How many you want?

You can always open your phone and speed dial from it when you're driving. that's a hell of a lot better than trying to hack the system.
Old 02-15-07, 02:54 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dssxxxx

You can always open your phone and speed dial from it when you're driving. that's a hell of a lot better than trying to hack the system.

Yeah, but it would be a lot easier and safer if we could just punch the numbers in on the NAV keypad without really taking our eyes off the road.
Old 02-15-07, 04:19 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dssxxxx

I have to check, but I believe the speed dials also grey out when the car is in motion. In either case, no, 18 is not enough when you use your phone and car for business with many contacts. Even easier would be to have the ability to use your entire phone book to simply touch the person's name to be dialed or provide enough voice tags so that voice dialing could be completed on all contacts (as is the case with my cell phone). I hope there can be a fix for this to make it both convenient and also (in my opinion) more safe than having to refer to my cell phone for those that do not have a voice tag and/or I do not know their phone numbers off the top of my head. Lovin the car...would just love to have this added, highly used feature changed to make it the best!
Old 02-15-07, 04:41 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

All 18 Lexus speed dials are available when moving. Come right up when you press the phone button on the wheel. Otherwise as mentioned must use the phone's speed dials but its all handsfree after that.
Old 02-15-07, 04:56 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hendjaz
All 18 Lexus speed dials are available when moving. Come right up when you press the phone button on the wheel. Otherwise as mentioned must use the phone's speed dials but its all handsfree after that.
Thanks for the info regarding the speed dial availability while moving...hadn't had a chance to get to my car to check it out before there was a response! It's good to know...but I need far more contacts to be able to call while moving than 18 since I also use the car for business...alternatively, increase the memory for unlimited voice tags (which still only allow you to tie to one phone number, ie., cell, home, work.) Best alternative, free up the phone book so you just need to press a button
Old 02-15-07, 08:04 PM
mdchachi
Driver School Candidate

A lot of newer phones have voice recognition built-in so you can easily dial by voice and still use the vehicles handsfree system.
Old 02-15-07, 08:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

...doesnt anyone here work for a lexus dealership who may know the hack? damn lexus corp is getting smarter every generation nave they produce, not letting us override it...lmao
Old 02-15-07, 09:33 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mdchachi
A lot of newer phones have voice recognition built-in so you can easily dial by voice and still use the vehicles handsfree system.
I have the LG Env and it has voice recognition for all of my contacts...however, as was the case with my BMW 745i and my LS 460, when the car bluetooth system takes over the voice recognition through the cell phone no longer works until disconnected from the car.

Last edited by acecert; 02-15-07 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 05:30 AM
dleach
Driver School Candidate

What I do is use the blue tooth feature. I do not use Cingular, Sprint, or Verizon. My plan is US Cellular. I have the Razor phone and have enabled the blue tooth feature on both car and phone. Anytime I want to make a call I go to contacts on my phone, select who I want to speak with and press send. The Blue Tooth feature does the rest. I traveled from Wisconsin to AZ and never had a problem. I have also usd the dial by number feature from the voice activate menu, it to works fine.
I to would like to use the Nav system while in motion or the recording feature of the hard drive. Lexus won't chnage it for use but maybe for the 08 car.
Old 02-16-07, 06:31 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dleach
What I do is use the blue tooth feature. I do not use Cingular, Sprint, or Verizon. My plan is US Cellular. I have the Razor phone and have enabled the blue tooth feature on both car and phone. Anytime I want to make a call I go to contacts on my phone, select who I want to speak with and press send. The Blue Tooth feature does the rest. I traveled from Wisconsin to AZ and never had a problem. I have also usd the dial by number feature from the voice activate menu, it to works fine.
I to would like to use the Nav system while in motion or the recording feature of the hard drive. Lexus won't change it for us but maybe for the 08 car.
Yes, that is exactly how mine works. Since the previous response indicated to "voice" dial using your cell, then use the bluetooth in your car, I had found that does not work both with my 745i and now my 460. You have to select from contacts...which is far more inconvenient (and dangerous) than having access to the phone directory on the screen which is much larger and easy to use. I don't think that Lexus will do anything about his one...that's why the thread is entitled "hack accessibility". Hacks have been done on previous models but no one has yet to figure out one for this car since it is so new.

Last edited by acecert; 02-16-07 at 11:58 AM.