LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navigation System Observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 09:45 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip. I did try this morning to go into setup, and I selected "off" for the voice guidance. When I went back to try to make a phone call, she prompted me all the way through, so, I went back to setup, noticed there were 2 other voice guidance options and I turned them both off as well (all 3 are "off" now). I went back to make a call and she prompted me all the way through again. Can someone try this on their system to see if she can be quieted for prompting? (I'm not referring to directional guidance but rather voice guidance prompting). Just as an FYI, I also turned the popup windows to "off" and when I made the phone call noticed all the pop up windows also continued to come up on the screen while she was prompting..not sure if the pop up windows only refer to those situation like when you start the car and the window pops up that says "Bluetooth connection failed" (if you don't have your bluetooth on). Help me out here if you can...I'm wondering if I'm not understanding something here or if the settings in my setup to my Nav are not taking. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-08-07, 10:28 AM
mdchachi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, the option doesn't make much difference. It just eliminates the prompt between the talk button and the beep (ie "After the beep say a command"). It's much more useful in the other Lexus navs because they have many more prompts like this. It looks like they eliminated some of these extraneous prompts for the LS.
Old 03-09-07, 05:53 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mdchachi
You're right, the option doesn't make much difference. It just eliminates the prompt between the talk button and the beep (ie "After the beep say a command"). It's much more useful in the other Lexus navs because they have many more prompts like this. It looks like they eliminated some of these extraneous prompts for the LS.
What I was trying to say and didn't do a very good job I guess :-)...is that turning off voice guidance and any other option "off" regarding voice guidance didn't make any difference at all. I still got all the prompts between selecting the voice switch regardless.
Old 03-09-07, 06:46 AM
ikey78
Driver

Originally Posted by acecert
What I was trying to say and didn't do a very good job I guess :-)...is that turning off voice guidance and any other option "off" regarding voice guidance didn't make any difference at all. I still got all the prompts between selecting the voice switch regardless.
The system behaves differently with the phone screen active compared to the other screens. There are always voice prompts when the phone screen is active but they can be interrupted at any time by pushing the talk switch. With all other screens, as long as you have set Voice Recognition Guidance to off in setup you should not be getting any prompts. So with the appropriate settings, and with anything on the screen other than the phone, all you should hear after pushing the talk switch is a single beep after which you give the command.

One thing that I find annoying is that when the phone screen is active say after you have completed a call, the system only accepts phone prompts and will not allow you, for example, to issue a command to go to a different audio input until you exit the phone screen.

On the positive side, I find the voice recognition very accurate and easy to use. They have definitely improved the accuracy and functionality over the previous versions.
Old 03-09-07, 08:03 AM
mdchachi
Driver School Candidate

Start from the map screen and push the talk button with the Voice Recognition Guidance both On and Off. You will see the difference there. The "after the beep say a command" prompt goes away. The other prompts -- the ones you can skip by pressing the talk button -- remain.
Old 03-09-07, 01:02 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Got it..thanks for the explanation. Not much improvement, but better. I just wish they would get rid of having to press that button for each step of the way to get a task done...that could be simplified so much more by having a beep prompt after she says what she wants to say. If Lexus wants to encourage people to use that voice system by greying a lot of things out on the nav system while driving, they need to make it efficient.
Old 07-19-07, 04:23 PM
thrang
Rookie

Got it..thanks for the explanation. Not much improvement, but better. I just wish they would get rid of having to press that button for each step of the way to get a task done...that could be simplified so much more by having a beep prompt after she says what she wants to say. If Lexus wants to encourage people to use that voice system by greying a lot of things out on the nav system while driving, they need to make it efficient.
Yes, I've been struggling with getting this lady to stop talking, and the Voice Guidance Option/OFF only seems to turn off the initial instruction, not all the subsequent commands - I know you can interrupt with the voice button, but it is an inferior approach. Once you understand the system, you should be able to disable all the voice "help" (do I really need to hear the car ask me "Please enter a street address or say "Cancel" every time?

This is especially annoying since Lexus locks us out of direct entry on the screen while in motion, and we are compelled to use the voice guidance.
Old 07-20-07, 10:08 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Originally Posted by thrang
This is especially annoying since Lexus locks us out of direct entry on the screen while in motion, and we are compelled to use the voice guidance.

By going to the volume control for the navigation system, you can turn the voice completely off.
The voice guidance volume can be adjusted
or switched off.

1. Push the “MENU” button.
2. Touch “Volume”.
To adjust the volume, select the desired
level by touching the appropriate number.
If voice guidance is not needed, touch
“OFF” to disable the feature.
When selected the number or “OFF” will
be highlighted.
3. Touch “OK” to confirm your selection.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 07-20-07, 12:32 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Mdchachi, I find the same thing. The GSP is never taken and that quit pisses me off, as you know it's the fastest way N & S around the state. The XM traffic is useless as far as I'm concern, it tells me traffic ahead 2 miles but thats it, no redirect. As another person stated, the turns are mostly off you are already in the turn when the voice comes in to tell you. I have to look at the next turn displayed in order to navigate. The XM does nothing when you set up your route as far as traffic rerouting.

I let the Nav take me out of NYC to NJ and it took me through Staten Island I guess as the crow flies it shorter but it left me on 440 buried in traffic instead of the Turnpike. I now have to set Giants Stadium as the destination out of the city.

My wifes Volvo nav works much better and she lets me know that constantly, and it does not lock you out. Apparently a local cell phone vendor in my area has a work around to buy pass the lock out features. I'm waiting to hear back from him now and I promise I will post info. He said I would have to sign a waiver "bring it on" I'm still not sure if he will just unlock the phone section or all lock out features. Promise, promise I will post as soon as I know.
Old 07-24-07, 12:11 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, even the workaround people need you to sign a waiver. But I suppose saying "I Agree" once more is ok.