LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind Noise Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 05:51 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise Test

message deleted by poster

Last edited by Mallory H.; 10-13-07 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 06:00 PM
feather3
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind Noise

As i said in other posts..I test drove one last Saturday and definately its a problem..i sat in front seat first and no issue then when i moved to driving lots of noise..I said to my brother something not right with window seal etc..i hope Lexus gets to bottom of this as i want to buy one..Also my girlfriend who moved to passenger seat picked up glove box rattle. My brothers 04 is very quiet and i was so disappointed in wind noise when driving that i moved into a search for CPO..Good to see is a problem and not normal.........good luck and please post if TSB goes out as i am thinking to wait for 08 model.
Old 03-14-07, 06:37 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default No rattles on my car

I don't have the brake squeal or any rattles. I only have the wind noise. I was
the person who had the field fix done. It's better, but I continue to have wind noise. They also adjusted the window trim for a tighter fit. I really don't like them taking my new car apart to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place. I had no wind noise in my LS 430. This is my 5th Lexus and it's the best one I've owned.

91 LS 400
93 SC 400
95 LS 400
2002 LS 430
2007 LS 460

Craig
Old 03-15-07, 01:02 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
If you have followed my earlier post in regard to the LS460 wind noise Issue I stated I would conduct my own test. Today we had excellent weather conditions and I was able to conduct the first part of the test which I performed on the mirriors. I taped up the hole on both of my mirrors with a small piece of masking tape, safely got the car up to 70 mph on a rual road and much to my surprise I could not hear the excessive wind noise sound that I had been hearing even as I was driving into a moderate amount of wind I could not hear what I had been hearing.
Mallory - what hole are you referring to? I don't see any holes in my mirrors.

Jeff
Old 03-15-07, 02:14 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

The drain hole is on the bottom of the mirror near the joint where it attaches to the car. The size of the hole appears to be the same as on the mirrors of our RX 400 so I don't know that the hole is the issue. I would think it is more likely to be a door or window seal issue as first reported in the infamous C/D article about a preproduction 460.
Old 03-16-07, 02:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you woulda thought lexus woulda done bulletproof testing on this car.....
Old 03-16-07, 02:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you woulda thought lexus woulda done bulletproof testing on this car.....
They sorta do.

The car is driven on bumpy roads prior to shipment to detect any rattles and shakes. Unfortunately, it seems that Lexus does not drive the car at high speeds to test for wind noise, but rather test the wind noise in a wind tunnel. Real wind coming from all angles "sound" different than test tunnel wind coming from one direction (from the front only)...

Albeit, I have no problems with wind noise in my LS at low or high speeds.
Old 03-16-07, 03:05 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. No noise what so ever. But as others stated, they only hear it in 460 SWB and not 460 LWB. I have 460L and that is probably why I don't hear it. Now, since the only difference is the thickness of the windows, I would assume it has nothing to do with the mirrors, but rather windows seal.
Old 03-16-07, 08:37 PM
feather3
Driver School Candidate

ok I went to another dealer today..Drove 460 and 460L and completely different results from my previous drive of 460 at another dealer(where i bought RX etc)...Both cars very quiet as they should...in fact i am going back to first dealer to speak to him about deal on 460L and since i like service there with RX i will tell salesperson and service manager that they better do something about 460 demo because it may cost them sales as I went to look at A8 post test drive..
Old 03-16-07, 08:38 PM
feather3
Driver School Candidate

hmmm..not to be **** but i just remember i test drove today in rain...will that affect my results with wind???????
Old 03-17-07, 08:41 PM
feather3
Driver School Candidate

yes i would agree its really much better to be dealing with Lexus when you have a problem than other manufacturers..I am sure it will be an issue and they will post a bulletin sooner than later..Drove my girls RX all over snow tonight and handled perfect, comfortable, quiet and possesses 82k miles..What can i say..i will be buying the LS..closest i think to getting some "value" in a car purchase given reliability...case closed....
Old 03-20-07, 05:10 PM
eeiii
Driver School Candidate

I recently took my 460L to the dealer and complained about the wind noise coming from the driver and passenger side, it usually occurs about 75 mph, they performed several test including a comparison with another 460L and concluded that the wind noise is there but there is nothing they could do about until Lexus puts out a bulleting. I told them that this was unacceptable for an $85K+ car and to call Lexus to see want they are doing about the issue and let me know. Last thing I heard is that they want me to take the car back again and will post findings.
Old 03-20-07, 07:47 PM
feather3
Driver School Candidate

Yes please let us know. As the days go by I am leaning towards waiting for an 08 for depreciation and kink relief during first model year..
Old 03-20-07, 08:04 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

our LS has the noise from 45mph.. it's annoying as hell.. wat does LExus say when u CALL THEM??
Old 03-20-07, 08:11 PM
eeiii
Driver School Candidate

To me its really annoying @ about 70+ mph, I have not taking my car in for the second time but will post any findings.
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
our LS has the noise from 45mph.. it's annoying as hell.. wat does LExus say when u CALL THEM??

Quick Reply: Wind Noise Test