LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ok..if you like XM radio/traffic, but can't afford it..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 11:18 AM
09LS460
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kbinfl
I just got off the phone with XM, and they don't seem to have a problem letting their potential customers go. I allowed the trial period to expire, and today I got an e-mail from them for $29.94 for 6 months. The catch is it does not include the Nav-Traffic, Weather. If you add this feature the total comes to $85 for 6 mos. I then asked if they had any other promotions going, and basically was told NO. Just wondering what others are experiencing???
I'd be shocked if a 4 year old promo was still working today, but $60 for a year would be a good deal if you ask me. Personally I don't have a need/use for the traffic, (especially at 2x the cost of XM itself), but to each their own.
Old 05-14-12, 12:56 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SiriusXM Promotional Pricing and "Deals"

Originally Posted by 09LS460
I'd be shocked if a 4 year old promo was still working today, but $60 for a year would be a good deal if you ask me. Personally I don't have a need/use for the traffic, (especially at 2x the cost of XM itself), but to each their own.

The current SiriusXM promotion is EXACTLY $ 25 for 6 months service, WITH CERTAIN CONDITIONS, and has been "in play" for well over a year.

However, it is NOT "$ 60 a year." Here are the CONDITIONS:

A) The INITIAL term is for 6 months. At the EXPIRATION of that 6-month period, your subscription period reverts to a month-to-month agreement - and your credit card will be charged MONTHLY at the then applicable monthly service cost, PLUS ANY APPLICABLE SALES TAXES - until such time as you call up and cancel service.

B) The $ 25 promotion is PLUS APPLICABLE STATE (and local) SALES TAXES. So, in Georgia, it winds up being approx. $28 (or a little less).

C) This is NOT a "Promotion" in that if you call up SiriusXM, you will NOT be "offered" this deal. You MUST ASK FOR IT, and more correctly by stating you received an email to this effect. The representative (who DOES know about this) will say "Well, please let me check" ...... go off for a little bit, and then come back and tell you "Well, Yes ! I see I can offer you this."

D) "FIX" FOR PROMOTION: Many of you will NOT like nor participate in the following process, but it does work. I have done this for the past 2+ years (It's a "game" retirees play since they OBVIOUSLY have nothing else to do with their time, whithering away .....LOL !).

You mark down on a calendar for 5 months and 3 weeks (After your Promotional period started) and call SiriusXM back, and tell then you wish to CANCEL your subscription. You CAN if you like, tell them you just don't use it enough (if it makes YOU feel any better to say this ...... LOL). The representative will tell you how VERY SORRY he or she is to hear this, and then ask for a moment to go check something, and then come back and offer you the SAME deal again !!!!! And as well, in almost all cases (unless they are lazy), even credit you a few shekels for whatever unused portion of time is left on your 6-Month Promotion period.

These are how it all "works" and Yes (sadly) NAVTraffic is NOT INCLUDED. NAVTraffic of course has it's own set of issues, such as only functioning in a handful of US cities, and not always being correct. Of course, it is NOT very expensive, currently being shown as only costing $ 3.99 per month. Here is the web link: http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Sate...me=SXM/Wrapper

Best Wishes to all, and as always, please "NEVER LET FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY !"

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 05-14-12, 01:16 PM
09LS460
Rookie

Very detailed information Mikey.....thank you for that.

The NavTraffic number that confused me was that he said XM would be $30 for 6 months, but if he added the NavTraffic it would be $85/mo, which would be $55 for 6 months.......

I spend a lot of time out of town, so my LS will be at the airport more often than not, but I do like XM and it's worth it at $60/yr with the above scenario.......
Old 05-14-12, 03:53 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

I pay $77 each year for my subscription, but I must say it is a negotiating process. I don't subscribe to traffic and weather, but channel 132 has that info every 10 minutes for my city. Mikey's process under his section D is accurate.

Here's a link to a discussion forum that may help you get a deal -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=918633
Old 05-14-12, 04:05 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I always shake my head when I hear of people who sign up for any sort of agreement that allows someone to bill their credit card monthly. Same goes for automatic withdrawals on your checking account.

Read the fine print.....once you agree to this arrangement, you forsake the ability to stop the agreement. What that means is your bank - the ones who is supposed to work for you - will only take direction from the other party.

So, when they screw up your billing, or when you cancel their service and they neglect to stop taking your money, you are at their mercy. In most cases,their sense of urgency in rectifying such an issue is very low.
Old 05-14-12, 04:45 PM
09LS460
Rookie

So I called to activate service and was informed that the dealer had submitted my information for a 3 month trial but never told me about it.

They turned it on for the remainder of the 3 month period, then locked in the 6 month deal. One thing that was additional to Mike's post was she said there was a $2.45 royalty fee, so it was just under $30 after taxesand I told her to send the bill which she said would be a $2 charge in July.
Old 05-14-12, 06:04 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked out the link that Mikey provided (thanks!) and it looks like you can subscribe to XM Traffic and Weather without any other service. Can anyone confirm this? I know you get a discounted rate with the service, but as popular as XM radio is, I listen to other media for my music - including local radio. I suspect that if you can get Traffic/Weather alone, they might entice me with a 6 month discounted service, which I might accept, but I recently learned how useful the weather was when severe weather hit my area while I was out running errands. It came in handy.......