LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS damanged by dealer during service

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 03:41 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidalex
I own two cars: the new LS and the GS300. I drove a BMW before which had free maintenance. I think what will make me happy is to get the free service for both cars for the rest of the lease term.

As far as the lease vs. purchase argument goes - this car is MINE for the next 3 years, so I do want it to be in the perfect condition that I bought it as.
That is more than fair I'd say. And the reason is the value determined at signing of lease is what determines your lease payment from what I understand, now that it has been damaged it's value is diminished even after repairs are done yet you will continue the same lease payment. What you expect is a very reasonable approach and no doubt is out of the respect you hold for the dealer.
Old 03-26-07, 04:45 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Alex, did they ever tell you how it happened?

Just curious,

Craig
Old 03-26-07, 06:14 PM
kidalex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Alex, did they ever tell you how it happened?

Just curious,

Craig
They told me it happened during the wash. I don't know the specifics. I'm not sure if I really care because it's not something that will help me either way.
Old 03-26-07, 08:41 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

I would be shocked if they replaced the car with a new one. Even though you've been a loyal customer for 9 years, money is money and they won't replace the car willingly. I would also be shocked if they gave you anywhere near the value of free service on two cars for the next three years. Be prepared to take them to court if you want what you're asking for.

There is a formula for calculating the reduction in value due to an accident (your insurance agent can provide this), but that's not really your concern as long as you don't intend to purchase the car at the end of the lease. In any case, a court would only award you whatever that amount is as your liquidated damages.

Of course you could claim pain and suffering. I do feel your pain!

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Old 03-26-07, 09:55 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I seriously doubt they are going to replace this car with a new one, regardless of what everybody here says. That's just trash talk. It's damaged, sure, but it isn't that bad. In today's world it is just above a fender bender. I also seriously doubt they will entertain free maintenance on another of your Lexus's that isn't part of the damage.

In my mind you have to keep it simple. You want the car fixed perfectly to your satisfaction, free maintenance for the duration of the lease (which shouldn't cost them very much), and you will turn the car back at the end of the lease with no attempt by them to nickel and dime you on cosmetic issues. That's imminently fair.
Old 03-27-07, 05:39 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I seriously doubt they are going to replace this car with a new one, regardless of what everybody here says. That's just trash talk. It's damaged, sure, but it isn't that bad. In today's world it is just above a fender bender. I also seriously doubt they will entertain free maintenance on another of your Lexus's that isn't part of the damage.

In my mind you have to keep it simple. You want the car fixed perfectly to your satisfaction, free maintenance for the duration of the lease (which shouldn't cost them very much), and you will turn the car back at the end of the lease with no attempt by them to nickel and dime you on cosmetic issues. That's imminently fair.
It is in no way trash talk to suggest a new car, in fact it would not surprise me to see Alex post in a day or two he is perplexed they offered him one without his even asking as it would allow the dealer to make money, not lose any money.
Old 03-27-07, 02:07 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sad but true, these things happen. I've had two company cars trashed, one by a dealer and the second by a car wash within days of taking delivery. It's obvious the kids they hire to move the cars around the lot don't drive well, nor are they the brightest lights on the street. Another time I was in a service shop when I heard a familiar engine revving and a gearbox grinding. I ran outside to find the porter trying to move my little Opel. After a bit of questioning, he admitted he'd never driven a stick shift.

What a time to learn that other pedal is called a clutch! I was trying to demonstrate the theory of operation of said device on the kid's throat when they pulled me off him.
Old 03-27-07, 02:09 PM
kidalex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Sad but true, these things happen. I've had two company cars trashed, one by a dealer and the second by a car wash within days of taking delivery. It's obvious the kids they hire to move the cars around the lot don't drive well, nor are they the brightest lights on the street. Another time I was in a service shop when I heard a familiar engine revving and a gearbox grinding. I ran outside to find the porter trying to move my little Opel. After a bit of questioning, he admitted he'd never driven a stick shift.

What a time to learn that other pedal is called a clutch! I was trying to demonstrate the theory of operation of said device on the kid's throat when they pulled me off him.
So, can you share with me how the dealership/carwash took care of the problem? Which cars were those?
Old 03-27-07, 02:38 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

If the dealership is as amazing as you say that they are they should do the right thing and replace your car. They are not bound by law to replace it but it seems to me it would be to their business advantage if they did.
Good Luck !
Old 03-27-07, 08:01 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They should give you a new car. It's that old saying "you break it, you buy it".
Old 03-27-07, 08:26 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Call Lexus and tell them that Lexus community is closely watching how they are going to provide an excellent customer service to you. I would be furious if someone trashed my new car. Leased or not, doesnt matter. It's your car and they should value your property.

I am sure Lexus would do the right thing.

good luck.
Old 03-27-07, 10:37 PM
kidalex
Rookie

Originally Posted by STIG
Call Lexus and tell them that Lexus community is closely watching how they are going to provide an excellent customer service to you. I would be furious if someone trashed my new car. Leased or not, doesnt matter. It's your car and they should value your property.

I am sure Lexus would do the right thing.

good luck.
I think this is the most compelling argument. Plus, I do want to mention that I love Lexus!!! I switched from driving BMW 745i. I've convinced many people to buy Lexus including my sister, my ex-gf, my best friend, etc. And one of the top reasons I love Lexus is because of their service.
Old 03-28-07, 02:05 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Team_Exe
first accident i have seen with the 460...
i think they should credit you for the time your car is in the shop.
and free services too!
bingo.. ur car is what.. $750/month lease?
u r "losing" $375.. make sure ur compensation is worth MORE THAN $375
Old 03-28-07, 03:23 PM
kidalex
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
bingo.. ur car is what.. $750/month lease?
u r "losing" $375.. make sure ur compensation is worth MORE THAN $375
No, my lease payment is $1,000 per month and I put $10K down so that means that my monthly expense on the car is about $1,300 plus insurance. I should mention that LS equivalent rental is about $300/day here in Bay Area. In addition to that my car will not be 100% as you can never assure me that stuff like airbag sensors are tested after the collision repairs as good as they're tested at the factory.
Old 03-28-07, 03:37 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kidalex
airbag sensors
just looking at the pics of your car i would doubt there was any involvement with airbag sensors

Quick Reply: My LS damanged by dealer during service