LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS damanged by dealer during service

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-07, 10:08 PM
kidalex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LS damanged by dealer during service

I turned my LS460L in for my very first oil change. When I got back to pick it up I was informed that there was an accident. Long story short - the front of the car was damaged. The hood, the grill, the lights, the bumper, etc. They've estimated that it'd take them at least 2 weeks to fix.

I have serviced my Lexus cars there for about 9 years and their service has been nothing but excellence. That's why I got two new cars ( GS and LS ) last year.

However, I'm wondering about what I should be offered for this whole problem. I mean, besides the fact that I'll be out of my car for a while, when it'll be returned - it WILL BE a car that pretty much was in an accident. What would be fair?
Old 03-25-07, 10:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't know what to tell you, but you should probably arrange a meeting with the owner/manager of the dealership and talk to him about it. Tell him that you have bought/serviced cars there for nine years, and while you do appreciate their willingness to repair your car, it is also a brand new vehicle and your resale will undeniably be impacted in the long run. Considering your history of business, the situation, and the price of your car, I think you have the right to ask for a new car. Also the painting process for this car is so unique, that I don't know if a body shop or anyone could really produce a "factory" finish like it had before.

All in all, if they repair the car then you probably are doing alright though it truthfully will affect your resale in the long run.
Old 03-25-07, 10:41 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

Diminished value! I personally would demand for a new car. Front end accidents change a car completely. It will never be the same, especially if it would take 2 weeks to fix.

If the dealer wont do the new car, definately get some compensation for the diminished value.
Old 03-25-07, 11:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow, that's really sad to hear . If I were you, I really won't be happy if they don't offer you a new car, given that your car is so new & they did some heavy damage to it.
Old 03-26-07, 12:20 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i had a similar story. I got a phone call expecting them to tell me that my car was ready. Instead, they said that while the car was in the washing process, they hit my rear bumper. Well, they basically told me to keep the loaner car that i had, and i could pick it up in a few days.

I actually was pretty happy with that because they repainted my bumper that wasnt in prestine condition. Well when i went to pick it up, they did not charge me for my brake pad change (at least 300 dollars there) and gave me 20% off my service.

I left with a smile.

i know your situation is worse since you a) have a new car and b) the damage is more server, but im sure they will give you something. If they dont, then confront them
Old 03-26-07, 12:34 AM
kidalex
Rookie

I should mention that I don't think the actual engine or any of the insides ( except for maybe sensors ) were damaged. Plus, do you really think that they'll just give me a new car in exchange for a 5K mi one? What about the free service for the remaining term of my lease ( which is about 2 years and 9 months )? Would that be reasonable?
Old 03-26-07, 12:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

id say they pay to have an independant assess the level of damage and pull up a diminished value figure. if its ONLY bodywork then i wouldnt worry too much but if they end up repainting half the bloody car then obviously there will be issues since i HIGHLY DOUBT that they will pay to have the car re-painted the way it was painted at the factory (many many coats+wetsand).

personally id push for either massive cash compensation (and i mean 10kish+diminished value) or more preferrably a new car.

and everyone needs to keep in mind that its going to take a while to get new bodyparts for a LS460 from japan, as i doubt dealers stock those.
Old 03-26-07, 12:54 AM
kidalex
Rookie

They'll need to replace the bumper, the grill, the hood and probably the light.
Old 03-26-07, 01:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

some pics of the damage would be great
Old 03-26-07, 09:06 AM
Lexusman44
Driver

I would talk to the manager and just be reasonable and if he says he will like give you mats or something worthless than get upset......
Old 03-26-07, 09:06 AM
ojah
Rookie

Ask them to give you the LS600 HL at 15K less.
Old 03-26-07, 09:32 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who was the dealer?
Old 03-26-07, 09:56 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kidalex
I should mention that I don't think the actual engine or any of the insides ( except for maybe sensors ) were damaged. Plus, do you really think that they'll just give me a new car in exchange for a 5K mi one? What about the free service for the remaining term of my lease ( which is about 2 years and 9 months )? Would that be reasonable?
Well I would be extremely upset if it were your car, but since it's a lease, isn't it technically their car, so they are the ones who will have to eat any diminished resale value, not you? I've never leased a car, but isn't the residual value of the car defined up front? Since the damage happened while the car was in the dealerships care, it shouldn't affect the residual value, should it? As long as the car is repaired so it drives and looks like new, they pick up the costs of your loaner/rental car, and they stick to the original terms of the lease, I'm not sure you would have any ground to stand on to demand additional compensation. If you owned the car, I would definitely demand a new vehicle as my going in position, and see what happens from there.

Still, I know how frustrated you must be. Mine was hit last week on the freeway. Mostly cosmetic, but the rear bumper will need to be replaced and the driver's side rear quarter-panel is buckled by the wheel well and will need to be re-finished and painted. I am very concerned about the paint not being up to factory quality, but the Toyota colission center swears that it will be no probelm and they guarantee the paint for the life of the car. We'll see.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-07, 10:04 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since it is a lease car 'diminished value' isn't important to you. But I would get it in writing that absolutely no end of lease charges will be made in conjunction with this damage. It is to their account only. And you could try to push for them to waive all end of lease damage. That would be a fair thing to do on their part.
Old 03-26-07, 10:13 AM
Rocman
Pole Position

Didn't realize it was a lease.
Regardless, you will be leased a damaged car. Perhaps they can pay $100 or so per month of your lease. If I were you, I would go look at the car prior to them fixing it. Take pictures and document the damage. Many times the dealers will tell you the damage is one thing, and then it turns out to be much worse. If there is frame damage, I would not touch that car, lease or not.

BTW, good paint shops can do a much better paint job than this factory one. It is great for factory, but not great for a high end paint shop.

Quick Reply: My LS damanged by dealer during service