LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 or 460L?? Break it Down

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 10:53 AM
DrPartagas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 460 or 460L?? Break it Down

I'm a single guy, no kids, no ball & chain...., no one rides in the back seat...

Is it a no brainer to buy the LS460 and not the 460L?

Is there any practical reason why you should coax me to buy the L instead of a loaded up 460 at 70k?

I see no sense in purchasing the L but I need a few objective opinions. Am I right or off base??
Old 03-27-07, 12:43 PM
cardiacdoc
Driver School Candidate

Default ls 460 vs ls 460l

The choice between the ls460 vs ls460l was a no brainer for me....air suspension is ONLY offered in the l version. Personally, I think the l's demensions also look better. Having said this....you can't loose either way. It's a GREAT car....I've crossed the 6k miles in 2 months.
Old 03-27-07, 12:53 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPartagas
I'm a single guy, no kids, no ball & chain...., no one rides in the back seat...

Is there any practical reason why you should coax me to buy the L instead of a loaded up 460 at 70k?

I see no sense in purchasing the L but I need a few objective opinions. Am I right or off base??
Dr, I'm in exactly the same situation. Remeber, the air suspension gives a stiffer ride, not a smoother ride. I opted for the SWB because 1) I spend most of my time on the freeway and the stiffer ride wouldn't do anything for me and 2) I'm not that aggresive a driver anyway. I'm very happy with my choice.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up doing.

dc
Old 03-27-07, 01:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPartagas

I'd say: Wait for the GS460...

I only say so if you desire a bit more performance/handling.

Otherwise, I think the LS460 will suffice. The Long version is nice, but it definately is more appropriate for towing passengers instead of sole driving. I never use my LS unless there are other riders with me. My IS is my solo-driving car.

As far as air-suspension is concerned, I find that the regular suspension is very functional; no one has ever complained about a "harsh" ride on the LS.

Also, the LS460 will most likely have better resale value than the LS460L...
Old 03-27-07, 02:14 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I have no kids. I do have a warden, but she's really pretty good. We rarely have backseat passengers. So I'm basically in the same situation. I wanted the air suspension. When I examined the difference between the SWB and LWB, the only differences I could find were an extra 4.7", laminated side glass and "shark-fin" antenna. For me none of that justified the extra 10K. Actually, I don't even want a bigger car, my runner-up choice was an Infinti M45 Sport.

I test drove 3 SWB's, but no dealer had an air suspension car I could drive. The SWB's handled OK. I know I'll be a little disappointed with what I've been used to, but that's the way it is. My only other thought was to wait for the 2008 model and see if the suspension becomes an option on the SWB.
Old 03-27-07, 03:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I want the LS460L because I can get AVS & I think the LWB version looks better + more options are available
Old 03-27-07, 03:18 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I do agree that the stretched look of the LWB does look better (to me anyway). Other than the air suspension though, I could get all the options I wanted on the SWB.
Old 03-27-07, 04:31 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the L and I love it!!! But I sell Real Estate in Las Vegas and have clients with me in the car 2-3 times a week so the back seat is important.

The Laminated windows are a nice feature too. I have the rear seat upgrade with heated and cooled seats with reclining function.

If I were in your situation it would be a tough decision. I would probably get the SWB knowing what I know about my LWB. You are most likely correct in your assumption that you will not see a big enough difference for the $10,000.

I would say that either way you are getting a great car.
Old 03-28-07, 08:09 AM
Strad6708
Rookie

Per the aforementioned comment, is it true that the air suspension provides a firmer ride? I thought it had normal, comfort, and sport modes. Selecting sport mode would certainly yield a firmer ride, but what about the normal and comfort settings--how do these settings compare to the standard suspension? Is the normal setting akin to the standard suspension, whereas the comfort setting is even softer than the standard suspension? Any clarification you guys can provide would be great.
Old 03-28-07, 09:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Yeah, I am under the impression that the comfort mode of the AVS air suspension should be marginally more comfortable than a car not equipped with AVS ?
Old 03-28-07, 07:10 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Strad6708
Per the aforementioned comment, is it true that the air suspension provides a firmer ride? I thought it had normal, comfort, and sport modes. Selecting sport mode would certainly yield a firmer ride, but what about the normal and comfort settings--how do these settings compare to the standard suspension? Is the normal setting akin to the standard suspension, whereas the comfort setting is even softer than the standard suspension? Any clarification you guys can provide would be great.
While I didn't get a chance to test drive a car with the air suspension, I was told by more than one salesman that the ride doesn't get any softer with the air suspension, only firmer. Could be they were all blowing smoke up my ***, but that is what I was told.
Old 04-01-07, 02:42 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the SWB. I don't have kids (and won't have any) either but I am married. Sharkfin has to do with if you have Mark Levinson/Navigation bundle, it's not exclusive of the LWB.

Air suspension? What for... you'd be surprised how much you can push the LS with the standard suspension.

Do you have friends that you want to show-off the car to? That's not enough reason for me to get the LWB either.

So if I were you in that situation I would go SWB. No sweat.
Old 04-04-07, 10:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, just the way i see it, since you are single, why do you even bother with rear seats? just get a coupe

anyway, i would only get the L version. to me if i get a sedan, i want it big enough so that whenever people sit in the back, they are comfortable.

it's kind of like asking why i need nav when i mostly just drive back and forth to work? it's not about how often you use nav, it's about that one time you really wish you had nav
Old 04-06-07, 07:24 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 460L has been great when I have rear seat passengers, which is at least once or twice a week. However, because of the upgraded rear seat package with the extra A/C unit, I have the smaller trunk. I did not think it would be that big of an issue, but I'm really beginning to regret the rear seat upgrade. Every time I go to Costco and buy bulky items I realize how ridiculously small my trunk is. Compared to my LS430, which had a tremendous trunk, this feels like the trunk on a little roadster type car. It really has its drawbacks in every day use.